The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2012, 01:41 AM   #1
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Hot rod Taillights

What do u think about this taillight setup? (Yeah, I know its a F---).

This is where u can get them. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/1937-F...bly,25334.html
hotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:48 AM   #2
parkwood

Re: Hot rod Taillights

I'm going to tell you what i think, you may know they're off a ford but the truck doesn't know... I think they look great and better yet you took the time to think it out and make they look like they belong there.. great job and remember it's the little things that make the biggest difference...
parkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
Rude Dude

Those are really nice so what if they are Ford it cleans up those ugly lights. I modified some Impala lenses to fit mine. Still thinking of changing the housing some more.
Attached Images

Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
hotrod1
56 - autocross

I did not do those lights. They are from Jeff Lilly Restorations and this is his video.

I was just thinking about going down this path.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
Kim57

I like them.
Kim
Old 09-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
mknittle

Thay are cool! somthing different.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:39 AM   #7
parkwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod1 View Post
I did not do those lights. They are from Jeff Lilly Restorations and this is his video.

I was just thinking about going down this path.
Ok that clears that up, so Jeff Lilly gets the credit for the thinking ahead award... he did a great job and if you do something like that yours will be just as nice..
parkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:59 AM   #8
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkwood View Post
Ok that clears that up, so Jeff Lilly gets the credit for the thinking ahead award... he did a great job and if you do something like that yours will be just as nice..
Yeah, I subscribe to his youtube channel, and he has some good videos. Of course, they are aimed to attract you to using his shop to build your vehicle. He seems to do a very thorough and creative job. I am sure that he turns out artwork.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #9
mr48chev

I like the concept of the idea on the taillight shown in the video. Take something that isn't that expensive and is readily available, add a simple piece to it to make it a bit slicker and put it on the truck in a way that it looks like it belongs there.

As most on here have figured out, I'm not into making changes just for the sake of making changes. Each change has to have purpose and fit into the whole theme of the vehicle.

I'm not a big fan of putting that lens on the tail light that Rude Dude showed but at the same time it does serve a dual purpose. it lets the light show from the side of the truck without having a side marker light tacked on the truck. Quite often when we customize a truck the cool factor outweighs the safety factor and the bonehead drivers around us might not see our tail, stop or turn signals as well as we need them to but that setup should be very visible. According to some of the local police officers the tail lights on my 48 are/were not visible from the rear when they were following me and I attribute part of that to the way I made my tail lights and where I put them.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #10
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I like the concept of the idea on the taillight shown in the video. Take something that isn't that expensive and is readily available, add a simple piece to it to make it a bit slicker and put it on the truck in a way that it looks like it belongs there.

As most on here have figured out, I'm not into making changes just for the sake of making changes. Each change has to have purpose and fit into the whole theme of the vehicle.

I'm not a big fan of putting that lens on the tail light that Rude Dude showed but at the same time it does serve a dual purpose. it lets the light show from the side of the truck without having a side marker light tacked on the truck. Quite often when we customize a truck the cool factor outweighs the safety factor and the bonehead drivers around us might not see our tail, stop or turn signals as well as we need them to but that setup should be very visible. According to some of the local police officers the tail lights on my 48 are/were not visible from the rear when they were following me and I attribute part of that to the way I made my tail lights and where I put them.
How did u make your lights and where did u place them that seems to be an issue?
Old 09-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #11
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod1 View Post
How did u make your lights and where did u place them that seems to be an issue?

I got the wise idea of putting some flat lenses behind the panel below the tailgate. I cut the lenses out of some mid 70's tail light out of a car I scrapped out and made some boxes to go behind them and hold the bulbs.

After getting stopped because the lights were said to be too dim I pulled the lenses I made out and put some trailer lenses over the holes along with adding a second bulb and painting the inside of the housing white. The photo was due to someone on some board asking about rear bumpers and I posted a photo of the stainless steel pipe bumper. The reflectors on the bed stanchions were due again to being pulled over.

This photo is after the truck was used as my daily driver work truck for several years and yes the bed and tailgate were sagging.

I got burned out on car shows about ten years ago and just let the truck sit after the 250 got so worn out that it burned more oil than gas. One of the main things that burned me out was the constant "what's it worth?" that seems to be the only thing that spectators of any age are interested in any more. That's another story in it's self though.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:26 AM   #12
msaintg

I was eye balling the tail lights on the PT Cruisers. Looks like they could be blended into the rear fenders of the AD trucks quite nicely (anyone done that?). Then I thought that they would not be as visable as I would like from the rear because they would be set back too far from the rear thus being blocked by the bed from any angle. Do you guys with tail lights mounted on the fenders have any problems like that?
msaintg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #13
Chevette

Those tail lights are cool. Why don't you make two sets of them and send one set to me? On a serious note, they are real nice.

Question: Know how to sell your truck for $50,000?
Answer: Spend $100,000 building it.
Chevette is offline   Reply With Quote