The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-27-2003, 09:38 AM   #1
1972ChevyGuy

Sharing My Dumbness

Went to rebuild my 3 speed saginaw cause wife is cheap I knocked the little gear off the speedo and it fell into the tailshaft, messed with it until i was sick, finally got tired of it and took the sidecase off. I loosed the bolt and went to pull the tailshaft out and all the bearings on the pilot shaft fell out, so I think.... well, ill just put them back in..... I only had 8 of them, i checked my handy haynes manual and it shows 14, so I call the tranny shop here to make sure, and sure enough, 14 it is. This tranny has been running FINE with just 8 for 10 years now, so I put 8 back in it, hoping it will work. Can't get it in 2nd or 3rd, so i look and the bearings had came out before I got the tranny bolted back up, so I got realllllllly pissed at it and just left the bearings out all together. Drop the tranny in for the 9th time mind you....start up the truck and put it in reverse to get out of the garage and wow, it backed up so nice, no shimmy or anything on the shaft. I take it for a run around the block, trying to baby it. It was running good except it sounded like a monster 18 wheeler in 1/2/3, the tranny was singing hard I thought, no prob..... ill deal with the howl. About the time I said that the whole tranny just fell apart, the gears got binded up, I guess the bearings that were missing let the shaft vibrate a little bit and get the syncronizers off? Well, since wife doesnt want to spend any money I hunt the junkyards....4 hours looking and nothing. I finally found one laying as soon as I was about to leave the 5th junkyard. 25$, I figured wife wouldnt complain too bad about that, guess ill put it in today, What started Friday and me just dropping in a new cluth and pressure plate and putting my floor shifter in turned to hell Its tuesday and i dont even have the tranny back in. <-- cries
1972ChevyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 09:54 AM   #2
Long Knight
Spank 'em if you got 'em!

Don't forget the bearings!

'71 C-20, 350ci, TH350, Edl. 1406 Carb w/elec.choke, Ignitor ignition, Viper Tires, Orange Dipstick
Long Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 10:52 AM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

$25 is cheap i have a 3 speed i want $100 for and im told that is low end for a tranny!

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 11:11 AM   #4
1972ChevyGuy

Yea, i thought that was a deal myself, i know the guy pretty good and he said since it was memorial day he would cut me a deal. I pee'd in my pants almost when he said 25 bucks!
1972ChevyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 11:21 AM   #5
Baradium
Binder Rep

At least you'll still get finished!
Baradium is offline   Reply With Quote