The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
bnoon

New windshield for ol' blue

The old one cracked a few times coming out (was cracked anyway) but was still much MUCH easier than I had thought it would be. I used a 1/4" size nylon rope to pull the rubber seal into place (I already had the rope in the truck to tie down loads anyway) and just reused the chrome insert though it looks a bit rough. I'll probably replace it with a plain black one sometime down the road or maybe just peel off all of the chrome and paint the plastic black, but at least now I can see clearly and have a review mirror in the truck... oh, and radio stations come in now too (the wires must have been cracked in the old one).

Oh, forgot to say that someone used urethane to hold the old seal in place so it took quite a bit to clean it up. This kind of seal doesn't need it! Took it to a wash right after and no leaks. I did have to use one small squirt of silicone down by the base of the windshield though because it looked like someone used a pry bar there and had the flange a little messed up. Even after using a hammer/dolly it was a bit scary but it all came out OK.

Last edited by bnoon; 09-16-2012 at 01:17 PM. Reason: oh yeah forgot...
bnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
str8axle55

Re: New windshield for ol' blue

Good job, nice when it goes as easy as it should.
str8axle55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
wraprail

So did you put the rubber in the glass first or put the rubber on the truck frame and pull/push the window into the rubber? Did you use and lube on the rubber?
I have a new windshild (used) and need to do this. Any tips would be helpful.
I did do a search and not much helpful info.

Thanks
wraprail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
Goldfinger

I was told by my glass guy that you have to put in an adhesive or it won't meet impact requirements. Gotta love that locking strip makes the job way easier.

1999 k3500 crew cab dually 6.5tdi/4l80e
Goldfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
bnoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraprail View Post
So did you put the rubber in the glass first or put the rubber on the truck frame and pull/push the window into the rubber? Did you use and lube on the rubber?
I have a new windshild (used) and need to do this. Any tips would be helpful.
I did do a search and not much helpful info.

Thanks
Rubber around the glass first, then set the lower edge in place to start. I chose to do the passenger's side bottom corner first and got it started by hand, then started to pull my rope an inch or two to get the edge of the seal over the metal lip, then seat the rubber fully by pressing on it with my thumbs and fingers, then repeat. I did about 3/4 the way across the bottom of the glass from sitting on the passenger's side of the seat, then moved over to the driver's side, went up that side, across the top, then back down the passenger's A pillar. Only had one little tiny spot on the rubber seal about an inch long that I had to fight a minute or two and other than that it was cake.

EDIT: Forgot that I used Prestone Silicone Spray Lubricant on the edge of the rubber seal going into the truck, but where I needed it most was putting the locking strip back into the channel. I would spray down about 4-6 inches of it, then put one side into the channel, then a W I D E tipped flat blade screwdriver and rubber mallet to tap in the other side of the channel cord. Really the only tedious work other than cleaning the urethane that shouldn't have been there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
I was told by my glass guy that you have to put in an adhesive or it won't meet impact requirements.
I searched, asked, and found answers to the contrary on glass forums and 2 local shops that unless the seal is leaking on a full rubber surround type seal, no sealer needs to be used. The previous owner or someone working for them used urethane. That's not the correct product to use because it hardens as it dries. Correct product to improve the seal to the rubber gasket is a glazing compound 3M part number 08509 and stays soft to remain in contact with the rubber as it flexes. Other designs for urethane or butyl type seals are used when the sealer also glues the glass directly to the metal and are not to be used with the full rubber surround gaskets like ours. Around the area where I was concerned that I had a possible sealing issue, I used a silicone sealer with a temp range of -100 to 600+ continuous and flex/seal rating of 60 years.

Last edited by bnoon; 09-19-2012 at 05:09 PM. Reason: I R a gud speeler
bnoon is offline   Reply With Quote