The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
vwjohnny

More '59 GMC help needed (motor mounts)

Hi all,
Got the 270 out of the '59 at the moment. New clutch, seals, paint. So I am looking for motor mounts. Rears seem easy enough to find but the front has me puzzled. Searched for a while with only dead ends. Is mine an original setup? Appears to be. In the pics I've got the upper mount in position and the lower is sitting on the frame right next to it. I can't find replacements. Any experienced help appreciated.
Attached Images

vwjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
olBlue

Unhappy Re: More '59 GMC help needed (motor mounts)

That's the original mount. There should be a sleeve that fits over the bolt that keeps the upper and lower mounts a fixed distance apart.

Replacement's are made of unobtainium.

Steele Rubber may be able to revulcanize it. I've seen folks redo their own mounts using liquid urethane when they were desperate.

Yours' actually looks to be in pretty good shape. Most are pretty destroyed by any sort of oil leak on the front of the motor.
olBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
OrrieG

Re: More '59 GMC help needed (motor mounts)

I am not familar with GMC's. Is that piece to the left a part of the engine mount or do you just need the center piece? It looks similar in size to 60 and 70's transmission mounts (they use two bolts where you need one). You might take the dimensions to a counter guy and see if there is a tranny mount that will work. Another source would be a hydralic line jobber. They have urethane blocks used for equipment pads that can be sized with a band or hack saw and drill!
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
vwjohnny

Thanks olBlue. Mine came apart without spacer. Maybe this is why the lower mount appears to be "wallered out". By chance do you have spacer dimensions so I can duplicate? I'm thinking I'm gonna just re-use this mount. I'm also wondering if I can remove the bracket from the motor itself and go back with a chevy mount setup. Might research further if this GMC mount is ever unusable.

Orrie. That part to the left in the pic goes underneath. "sandwiches" the frame pretty much. Trans mount is a good idea and just might work. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:10 AM   #5
olBlue

Thumbs up Re: More '59 GMC help needed (motor mounts)

Found the bag with my mount pieces in it finally.

Spacer is 1-9/16" long x 11/16" OD x 1/2" ID. It is a welded tube construction.

The nut on the stud is a locknut from the factory.

The pre-cut urethane blocks sound like they might work for this. I have purchased a can of urethane plus catalyst to cast my own but haven't gotten a mold built yet.
olBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
vwjohnny

Thanks guys! Olblue... I found the sleeve in a bucket of parts that came with the truck. Thanks! I wouldn't have ever known that it was part of my mount. With a piece of polyurethane from a local 4x4 shop I'll be back in business.
Posted via Mobile Device