The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-20-2012, 12:51 AM   #1
Graham57a

Custom Rear End Questions

Okay guys so I am having issues with the rear end that is currently in my truck. If anyone has seen my build then you would know that my truck isn't even a roller yet. So my questions lies in the width. I know most people use the stock 12 bolts in these trucks but I'm going with a custom made 9 inch with floating hubs. Since the rear end is gonna be custom ordered, I give them a dimension from snout to snout and they make my rear end. My problem is that I plan on running either 22x10 or 20x10 wheels on the back and I want to optimize this situation to my advantage. I don't want to order a rear end that is the same length as a 12 bolt and then end up having to get wheel spacer or ordering less then ideal back spacing to accommodate for this issue. I guess my overall question is what is the actual ideal length rear end when running big wheels on the back? Longer then a stock 12 bolt or shorter? Any input and pictures will be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

Here is a link to my build if anyone wants to check it out. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=462072

Also a pic of the rear end that is in it now, wish I could use this one but the calipers hit on the inside of the wheel wells and it's to narrow.
Attached Images

Graham57a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:28 AM   #2
Jparks

Re: Custom Rear End Questions

The ideal thing to do is order your wheels first then order the rear end. If you are doing custom wheels this will allow you to pick the backspacing(lip size) you would like. I'm sure that's not the answer you are looking for but that's also what most people on here are going to tell you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Jparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:31 AM   #3
cdowns

i've seen thousands of trucks with 10inch wide wheels with the stock width 12inch// used a few myself too and it seemed just right for the application with moderate backspacing of 4.5
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
Graham57a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jparks View Post
The ideal thing to do is order your wheels first then order the rear end. If you are doing custom wheels this will allow you to pick the backspacing(lip size) you would like. I'm sure that's not the answer you are looking for but that's also what most people on here are going to tell you.
Posted via Mobile Device
That is what I was going to do but then I heard people say to wait until your truck is finished to get wheels. Would this be an exception to that rule?
Old 09-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
Jparks

cdowns is right also, 10" rear wheels will fit on the stock rear end, I have 22x10 with a 5.5" backspacing on a 72 rear and mine tuck right up under the fender wells, you can look at mine and if you like the lip size just go with a stock length rear, if you'd like more lip than that order your wheels first and then measure for the rear end
Old 09-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
Jparks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham57a View Post
That is what I was going to do but then I heard people say to wait until your truck is finished to get wheels. Would this be an exception to that rule?
as many times as I've seen this asked, I might be able to count the times on one hand that I've seen people say wait till the end to order wheels, but I guess it depends on how much drop and how custom you are going with the wheels. If it's just a mild drop, stock rear and off the shelf wheels it wouldn't hurt waiting till the end. If you are laying frame with custom wheels it's always best to order the wheels first and then order your rear end.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
Graham57a

Quote:
as many times as I've seen this asked, I might be able to count the times on one hand that I've seen people say wait till the end to order wheels, but I guess it depends on how much drop and how custom you are going with the wheels. If it's just a mild drop, stock rear and off the shelf wheels it wouldn't hurt waiting till the end. If you are laying frame with custom wheels it's always best to order the wheels first and then order your rear end.
I already c-notched my frame and I have bags on the back so I'd like it to be as low as I can possibly get it with the notch and stock wheel wells. So I think what I am gathering from this is it really all depends on what back spacing I want?? If I want more backspacing then order a wider rear end, if I want less then order a narrower rear end?? As far as wheels I think I'm gonna end up getting the Intro Magnums, I'm pretty sure you can order any size backspacing on those wheels.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:24 AM   #8
Jparks

You got it, intro definitely offers custom backspacing so now you just have to decide how much lip you want on those wheels
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2012, 10:07 AM   #9
Graham57a

Quote:
You got it, intro definitely offers custom backspacing so now you just have to decide how much lip you want on those wheels
Posted via Mobile Device
Alright awesome, thanks Jparks. Oh and your truck is effin bad, can't wait to see that thing finished
Old 11-29-2012, 04:02 PM   #10
rsflores2

i have a stock 5 lug differential coming from a 70's oldsmobile. im trying to fit 20x10 on my 1958 chevy truck stepside. what can i do? whats inexpensive?
rsflores2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:04 PM   #11
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

I have a custon 9" in mine. I got my wheels and mounted the tires, then I placed them under the truck and measured hub to hub to get the differential width. I sent the wheels to Currie to make sure the brakes and calipers would fit when they made the rear end.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote