The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-20-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
rotorhd58

help!

my son and i are starting a rebuild of my grandfathers truck that was stripped down to bare frame, we just got frame back from powdercoating and just finished rebuilding the front end.

Q. which shop manual would tell me about what size bolts, what grade bolt, would i need to get i.e shop manual, or assembly manual?

Q. and as far as what part numbers i need would a parts book be best?

Q. and identifing what transmission and rear end how can i tell which one i have is there a part number somewhere

any help would be greatly appreciated, thxs in advance.
rotorhd58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Re: help!

Plenty of folks with more experience than me, here. But you have me right now...

You forgot to mention a couple of important things: What truck...If you don't post a pic., you don't have a truck! But, okay, if you don't post pictures, then *write* what truck you are "rebuilding".

Which brings up the next question(s): What are you going to do? 100 point restoration? Probably not, if you powder coated the frame. Home-done resto, but stock? How stock? If you are asking "What bolts?",
I applaud you for going the almost 100% "correct" way. Most of us don't have that fat a checkbook....And, boy-oh-boy, if you are at the "what bolt" stage, and are going to carry all the way forward with that method,
"Bravo!". Which, in one way, roughly translates to "Bring Money!"

The best resource in the world for '67-'72's is this Forum. Use the thread search before asking the members a ton of stuff....It's only fair. Mostly, no one cares if you ask a ton of questions, thank God.
But, if you read thru the appropriate threads at the time you are attacking something, you'll learn so much you won't believe it.

Here are some of the books I HAVE TO HAVE...even for a resto-mod-hotrod-rat truck.

Even if you don't buy stuff from LMC (first, support the Merchants on the Board as we all try to do), get a catalog for a quick reference. And, my truck is a '68 cab on a '71 frame with a '71 front clip,
but these books all work. You just have to watch the threads for the subtle...and sometimes not-so-subtle.... differences.

Mostly, use the Forum. It's the best there is.
Attached Images

But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:11 AM   #3
rotorhd58

thanks for you quick reply

its a 1970 C10

really didn't have a choice on the hardware as my brother had taken it down to bare bones and tossed the hardware, it is what it is.

i noticed that you don't have the assembly manual have you seen this manual and more importantly does the assembly manual contain hardware info

will try and search threads, since i am new to this site it might take me a couple of tries to figure out how to use it

i guess the threads are a good place to start and see if someone those manuals

well thanks for the corrections looking forward to researching all the great info and tips on this website
Old 09-21-2012, 12:31 AM   #4
Elchopperfreak

Anything specific?
Im putting back together my 70 and would take the time to "measure" bolts and stuff
Posted via Mobile Device
Elchopperfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:58 AM   #5
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhd58 View Post
thanks for you quick reply
i noticed that you don't have the assembly manual have you seen this manual and more importantly does the assembly manual contain hardware info....
will try and search threads, since i am new to this site it might take me a couple of tries to figure out how to use it
Don't know about the assembly manual. This one does not state the specific bolts, threads, etc....at least not that I could find on a quick scour... But has all the torque requirements.

And, although I tend to not like to "push" LMC, since I favor the Forum's sellers...And, sorry to say, although they are a great company and I've spent a lot of dough with them, LMC is slow and expensive to ship to
California with all that "popcorn" filler..., they do have "bolt kits" and "screw kits" if you really think you have to have ones that are exact. My experience with what I build: "Does it fit in the hole?"
"Does a bigger one fit?" "Over-build, but don't over-screw". What I mean by that, for example, is not using sheet metal screws that are too long or fat...but all that stuff is just common sense.

On this last build, I used three trucks (really two plus the previous build") to make one. So I have a bunch of bolts around here you could have. I bet some other Members have some pay-it-forward potential for you, too.
Just scream out about what you need.

As for the thread search? Look up there in the right corner. What I do is type what the issue is...."Radio" or "Drive shaft", etc. Then I click on the second bubble "67-72chevytrucks.com". Then click on the Google "bubble".
That takes you to the web with posts specific to '47-72 Chevy Trucks. You look thru the links listed there...That's the most work, since you sometimes have to back out of like a '56 Chevy truck alternator discussion if you're
looking for a discussion relating to a '70.
No biggie.

And there are probably easier ways to search. But that's the way I do it.
Attached Images

But always a rat.

Last edited by magwakeenercew2jh; 09-21-2012 at 01:05 AM.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

For the body bolts a kit is the way to go.It'll save you running back and forth for 1-2 bolts.The other stuff is usually not listed(at least anywhere I can find).I always use a grade 8 if I have to "punt".If you need sizes on those,take pen/paper,a tape measure and bolt guage to the self service "Auto Recyclers"
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:28 AM   #7
rotorhd58

that was the most important question are the bolts that hold the front suspension to the frame are they grade 8 bolts and which bolts on the truck would be required to be a different grade i am only guessing that some of the suspension bolts are a different grade but i have found they are quite different look than the rest, are there bolts on the frame that would require the stainless grade 18-8, or the softer bolts that would require less shear strength and flexibilty?

i do like the idea of a bolt "kit" for different areas of the truck to reduce the guess work

have been looking around for gaskets and seals for the truck but some shops are saying there is no really way to determine a part number (shouldnt there be one on the rearend or transmission somewhere) and that i need to take the seal to them to match up, still looking around for someone that has the assembly manual and shop manual for sale

i will be using an epxoy polimide for a primer anyone have any luck with a different type of primer one that sticks well and wha is the best type of paint to be using on rearend and transmission