The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
chevy292

New to the site

Hi everyone, I just registered with the site. I have a 1970 chevy K20 with the 292 that I got from my Father 17 yrs ago. I'm finally able to start rebuilding it. The cab could use some TLC. The frame and drive train are in great shape. Couple questions for all of you that have been doing this for longer than I have.

Is it feasable to keep the drum brakes on all 4 corners? How would I upgrade at least the front to disk? Swap the whole axel?

What are some good sources for patch panels? I have so far only used LMC. Are there better sources?

Thank you in advance to all that take the time to help me out!!
chevy292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
CC69Rat

Re: New to the site

Welcome to the forum from TN.

There are vendors on this site that can get patch panels for you. Personally I refuse to buy anything else from LMC. I understand regardless of where the patch panels come from, some are really good and some of them are really bad. I'm sure more folks will chime in with suggestions. From what I know, Tri-Plus brand are pretty good?

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Also welcome from Central Florida!
Congrats on the 4x4. Drum brakes worked good enough back in the day when everyone had them so you can keep them but.......disks are way better (safer). Do a search on here for a drum to disk conversion and have at it.
As far as patch panels go I have had good luck with Top Banana.
Now how about some pics.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
chevy292

I agree back in the day they worked just fine for everyone. If I was going to be the only one driving the truck when it's done I would probably keep them. However I'm sure my other half will drive it now and again, I'd be much more comfortable having disk on the front with her driving it.

I'll search this site for a conversion, in the past I have spent hours search the web for conversions but have only ever come up with kits designed for the half tons. I have yet to find a kit for the 8lug 3/4 tons.
chevy292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

WELCOME!!!! Since it's a K20,it should be as simple as swapping in a new axle.The brake lines may need tweaking but that shoudn't be a big problem.There are several companies that make new lines.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote