The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
lankster35

59 Apache dome light

All-

My dome light stays on all the time in my 59 Chevy Apache. I took the headlight switch apart and cleaned it but still does same. It looks like there are two little things that almost look like points that should open up to stop power to going to the light wire but they never move. Anyone know about these switches or had the same issue?

Thanks - Bob
lankster35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
Russell Ashley

Re: 59 Apache dome light

Bob, those contacts don't open unless too much current is being drawn through the light switch.

There are two wires going to the dome light from the light switch, one has power on it all of the time and the other is the ground for the light. There is a copper strap under the nylon cam on the front of the light switch. When you turn the switch knob fully counter clockwise it pushes the strap down against the frame of the switch and grounds it. That is what turns on the dome light. Check to see if that copper strap has broken and is contacting the frame of the light switch. If it's good then it's possible that the ground wire to the light is shorted somewhere. Both wires go up the A pillar, back over the door, and then to the light.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
OrrieG

Thanks for the explanation, I have never taken time to figure out how the dome worked.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
lankster35

Russell- Thanks for the info. I saw how the switch works inside and the tab looks ok. When I unscrew the entire light housing front the cab the light goes off which means it is losing the ground when I do that. Maybe my issue is in the light housing and not the switch?? I need to do a little testing (this can't be too hard...power and ground) Should the hot wire coming from the light that attached to the switch be hot at all times and then the ground is what completes the current in this setup (the wire is always hot).

thanks -
lankster35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
oldcouple

this might help
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #6
Russell Ashley

"Should the hot wire coming from the light that attached to the switch be hot at all times and then the ground is what completes the current in this setup (the wire is always hot)."

Yes, it's hot all of the time. The hot wire to the dome light connects to the light switch to a double tab that is also the brake light connector. I have an EZWire harness in my truck now so my dome light power comes from the fuse panel but I still use the original ground wire from the switch.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
Hogsophist

Yeah, I still have not tackled the dome light after the rewire. Uggg
Posted via Mobile Device
Hogsophist is offline   Reply With Quote