The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2012, 12:27 AM   #1
FuzeMagazine

Another Tailgate Latch Question

Hello, I have used the search feature and read up on all the tailgate troubleshooting posts but I haven't come across anything detailed w/pics and instructions.

My latch does not engage w/the rods and from what I can see, when I look up inside I only see one rod attached and no place/sign for a second rod. The tailgate will not stay up on it's on because on both ends of the tailgate, I noticed the locking mechanisms aren't engaging with the bed.

I saw somewhere that someone had to pull theirs out w/pliers and what not but I'm not sure if this is at all my problem Does anyone have photos/guide of how the mechanisms work together to help give me a better idea of what I need to do? Thanks in advance.
FuzeMagazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:10 AM   #2
FuzeMagazine

Re: Another Tailgate Latch Question

::bump::
Old 09-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
Axle

Its not difficult to get it apart.
Take out the bolts that hold in the latches, take out the three screws that hold in the release handle, the rods are held in by the latch mechanism (latch when bolted in keeps the rods from falling out their holes).
Remove your latches and release handle, clean and lube as needed. If your handle is jammed from being rust siezed on the pivot, soak it for a few days with penetrant and keep working and cleaning the pivot. If its really bad you can drill out the rivet and put a short bolt of the appropriate diameter in there with a nylock nut to hold it together.

Alex.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
FuzeMagazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
Its not difficult to get it apart.
Take out the bolts that hold in the latches, take out the three screws that hold in the release handle, the rods are held in by the latch mechanism (latch when bolted in keeps the rods from falling out their holes).
Remove your latches and release handle, clean and lube as needed. If your handle is jammed from being rust siezed on the pivot, soak it for a few days with penetrant and keep working and cleaning the pivot. If its really bad you can drill out the rivet and put a short bolt of the appropriate diameter in there with a nylock nut to hold it together.

Alex.
Thanks much! I will give it a try and try to make a video for others to use as well.