The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2012, 03:13 AM   #1
Wallee

C60 build ideas

I have a restored c60 that was left to me by my grandfather that he used to haul logs back in the day. I dont have much use for the log bed he has on it as I dont haul logs to often and I have seen several builds where people are putting truck beds on them and I have to say I cant get the idea out of my head. Anyone out there can tell me more about what all is involved? Also throw me some ideas. What would you do to a c60?
Wallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:24 AM   #2
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: C60 build ideas

Car ramp bed. Or a hydraulic tilt flat bed like on the newer tow trucks.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:18 AM   #3
LMREESE

What kind of bed is on it now? Log bunks or just a flat bed or was it set up for hauling short pulpwood? Pics?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2012, 07:24 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I like to see a useful purpose-built C/60 rather than an oversized rough riding toy. A car hauler,rollback,dump truck,stake body,utility bed,or how about a camper like they are finally building these days would be cooler. A proud and handsome work truck kept in better condition than ever possible when it was actually used for work is awesome to see. This isn't a 67-72,but here's what I'm talking about. Click on the pic:

I was just at this show and a guy was showing me pictures of old trucks for restoration he was going to sell. One I liked was a '50s Autocar hooked to a logging trailer. I actually have a thing for logging rigs and was saying how cool it would be have a restored logging truck to take to shows with a load of some select timber. To me trucks are about their past uses and the way we got things done back in the good old days. Everyone has their own ideas and uses for their older trucks,but I just don't see doing a whole lot of driving around in a larger truck,unless you're still working it,taking it to shows,or completely transforming it with modern components into something you can take anywhere over the open road.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 02-12-2017 at 05:36 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:33 AM   #5
SS Tim

Think we need a couple of things here like PICTURES and an idea on how you plan to license and use it.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:28 AM   #6
Wallee

I will get pics today, it is still possible that I might just restore it back how my grandfather had it so we'll just have to see, I would love to make it a car hauler with a lift back.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
Wallee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMREESE View Post
What kind of bed is on it now? Log bunks or just a flat bed or was it set up for hauling short pulpwood? Pics?
Posted via Mobile Device
Log bunks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I see the PU bed ones some.Most are used to hual large trailer,either travel or sometimes vendor.From what I understand,you don't want one to drive.When empty they are rough.The addition of weight makes them ride a lot better.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #9
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Will you have to have a CDL to drive it? How will it be licensed?

I belonged to a car club for a while that hosted a number of shows. One of the members had a '64 C-60 tractor that pulled a single axle purpose-built trailer that carried a 1920 Fairbanks-Morse 1-cylinder, 2-stroke diesel engine with 72-inch flywheels that was used to power an irrigation pump for rice farming. That was all he used it for. At that time, we had not gone to CDL's so a chaffeurs license was all you had to have. I know he had to tag it for the load it carried.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:02 PM   #10
Wallee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
Will you have to have a CDL to drive it? How will it be licensed?

I belonged to a car club for a while that hosted a number of shows. One of the members had a '64 C-60 tractor that pulled a single axle purpose-built trailer that carried a 1920 Fairbanks-Morse 1-cylinder, 2-stroke diesel engine with 72-inch flywheels that was used to power an irrigation pump for rice farming. That was all he used it for. At that time, we had not gone to CDL's so a chaffeurs license was all you had to have. I know he had to tag it for the load it carried.
My grandfather hauled logs from 1990 till about 2007 and he just had his regular license, so I am assuming that's all you need for it. It has a farm tag on it as well. We use to even have it insured for the road when we were hauling.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #11
hugger6933

The C60's had a GVR of under 26,000 LBS so a regular drivers license will do. I was [and am still planning noas money allows] to put a really nice long bed I have waiting I also have a really nice headache rack for the bed that would look good on there as well. I also have an extra pair of fenders and I was planning on cutting the flare off of them and swapping side and welding them back on to the bed so that the wheel humps will match and also the truck will have almost full length running boars between the wheels. I also have a 33k mile 454 t400 to put in and a titl out of a motor home and a hydro boostter to update the brakes as well as the disc brakes from the motor home [they will fit basicly with a king pin change]and 19.5 inch wheels off off the MH that is providing the other parts. I have planned this one out a while and have found a nice one to use just way to many project to do now. I think you should go for it and make you a nice ride. Oh, I had also thought about air ride or at least taking out every other spring as the towing would be done for my rig and I would not need 25 LBS worth of spring to support just me and the truck. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:03 AM   #12
Wallee

Gonna throw up a few pics of my truck, see what you guys think!

This is the brake booster right?
Old 09-24-2012, 07:44 AM   #13
special-K
Special Order

That's a nice '66. It has a 2spd rear. It would make a serious car hauler or roll back. If it was me,I'd restore it as what's there. It would be a cool sight at shows. How much will you really drive it? That's what you have to think about. It would be a great show and parade vehicle as a restored log hauler,IMO. There are antique truck shows for such trucks put on by American Truck Historical Society (www.aths.org) and Antique Truck Club of America (www.antiquetruckclubofamerica.org). It's another realm of truck enthusiast. It's about trucking heritage with all forms of truck welcome. That's where that truck belongs,at least if it was mine (wanna sell it? )

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 09-24-2012, 08:17 AM   #14
Eddie H.

When I was a teenager, we had a 1965 C60 with an 18 ft flat bed on it that we used for hauling hay. I rebuilt a 350 horse 327 and dropped in it.
That was the fastest hay truck in county.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #15
Wallee

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
That's a nice '66. It has a 2spd rear. It would make a serious car hauler or roll back. If it was me,I'd restore it as what's there. It would be a cool sight at shows. How much will you really drive it? That's what you have to think about. It would be a great show and parade vehicle as a restored log hauler,IMO. There are antique truck shows for such trucks put on by American Truck Historical Society (www.aths.org) and Antique Truck Club of America (www.antiquetruckclubofamerica.org). It's another realm of truck enthusiast. It's about trucking heritage with all forms of truck welcome. That's where that truck belongs,at least if it was mine (wanna sell it? )
I think your right, I probably am just gonna throw some new paint on the log bed and restore her like my grandfather had it, what you think of the bed and headache rack my grandfather built by himself at home?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #16
special-K
Special Order

I think it's a righteous job he did. It's a good looking headache rack,not just a bunch of steel hacked together. I was also thinking for his sake how cool restoring it as is would be. Mostly,it's the simplest/shortest route to gittin' er done. You can always change the bed configuration later if you find a better use for the truck. That's what trucks are all about. A cab & frame,then whatever is needed beyond that.

Tim

Old 09-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #17
Wallee

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I think it's a righteous job he did. It's a good looking headache rack,not just a bunch of steel hacked together. I was also thinking for his sake how cool restoring it as is would be. Mostly,it's the simplest/shortest route to gittin' er done. You can always change the bed configuration later if you find a better use for the truck. That's what trucks are all about. A cab & frame,then whatever is needed beyond that.
I think with a fresh coat of paint on the log bed and a good washing and remove that one dent on the driver side and it will be good to go! It has a completely rebuilt engine and tranny with like 1000 miles on them tops.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #18
Katrina/10

Awesome truck! I bet that thing can take some weight.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #19
Wallee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina/10 View Post
Awesome truck! I bet that thing can take some weight.
I remember once we pulled onto a scale at the log yard with 19,000 pounds!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #20
Katrina/10

Almost 20,000 pounds pulled by a six cylinder. Wow.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:11 PM   #21
Wallee

Rebuilding the brakes tomorrow, just got my new brake booster in from napa, anyone have tips or tricks for installing it? Things to watch for?
Old 03-01-2014, 12:01 AM   #22
junkmandan3

Pretty nice old Chev,not rusted, at least that's visable, and not beat up considering a rough job like log hauling .

Don't know your state's regulations, but in Ohio antique plates can be had for vehicles 25 year or older. No GVW listed on the title, allowing you the benefits like a pickup or car to go anywhere with regular license.
junkmandan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:27 AM   #23
mrolds88

Coupe of tips. Penetrating oil on the line fittings, and take pics to make sre everything goes back together well. Good luck and report back!! Also nice truck!!!
87 K10 Suburban Sold
93 K2500 xcab 6.5TD
96 GMC K2500 Suburban 6.5 TD
mrolds88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:45 AM   #24
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

that is a gorgeous old truck.. In NJ you can also get antique tags.. for the fire truck I bought it cost me $40 for four years and insurance is only $55 per year

I think you should build whatever makes you happy.. there isn't a whole lot of work to do it up if you leave it as is but I recently saw a large truck where the guy put a wood bed flat bed on it and he sanded stained and polyurethaned the wood slats and it looked real cool but you couldn't really put anything on it as not to scratch the bed up..

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:56 AM   #25
Wallee

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
that is a gorgeous old truck.. In NJ you can also get antique tags.. for the fire truck I bought it cost me $40 for four years and insurance is only $55 per year

I think you should build whatever makes you happy.. there isn't a whole lot of work to do it up if you leave it as is but I recently saw a large truck where the guy put a wood bed flat bed on it and he sanded stained and polyurethaned the wood slats and it looked real cool but you couldn't really put anything on it as not to scratch the bed up..
Thanks! I have had a while to think on the build and will be keeping it as is with the log bed! Might use it to haul a few logs in the near future as I am in the market for a new sawmill.