The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
andyd00

Brotherstrucks.com shipping

Sorry to rant. But the past 2 orders I ordered a ton of parts and had them shipped via UPS. The past 2 times they have been shipped via USPS taking 2-3 extra days longer than UPS. They only have a shipping option of UPS so why is it going USPS. I'm wondering if anyone else is having this happen. The problem I have is I ordered bumper accessories and bolts from brothers and the bumper and taillights from ecklers via ups ordered the same day so now I can't install anything on my only day off, nor be home to pick up the items from the post office till next Monday
Again, sorry for ranting. I'm just wondering if this is common practice with them n should I start using just ecklers or classic industries.
andyd00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
Chevette

Re: Brotherstrucks.com shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd00 View Post
Sorry to rant. But the past 2 orders I ordered a ton of parts and had them shipped via UPS. The past 2 times they have been shipped via USPS taking 2-3 extra days longer than UPS. They only have a shipping option of UPS so why is it going USPS. I'm wondering if anyone else is having this happen. The problem I have is I ordered bumper accessories and bolts from brothers and the bumper and taillights from ecklers via ups ordered the same day so now I can't install anything on my only day off, nor be home to pick up the items from the post office till next Monday
Again, sorry for ranting. I'm just wondering if this is common practice with them n should I start using just ecklers or classic industries.
What you should do is talk to or email the supplier. I'm not an advocate of venting ones frustrations in public. There may have been a good reason for their actions.

Question: Know how to sell your truck for $50,000?
Answer: Spend $100,000 building it.
Chevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #3
mr48chev

Their shipping choice was probably due to the cost factor for the size of the package.

I've only bought a couple of small things from them and they came in the mail but I wasn't worried about a time line so it wasn't an issue.

I'd think that a responsible vendor should offer several shipping options priced accordingly. I hate the shipping cost per the price of the order method and try to avoid the vendors who use it.

The other thing I have seen with a couple of popular vendors is that they are quick to acknowledge your purchase via email but it seems to take several days for the order to be processed in their system while with others you can check with the shipper via the shipping number and see that the package is already on it's way on the truck.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
_Ogre

ups has integrated shipping calculators for the web that many on-line vendors use.
actual shipping is usually by best method
in the overall time frame of a typical build, a couple days won't matter.
sit back, take a deep breath and crack open a cold one.

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
andyd00

I hear what u guys are saying. Was pretty angry when I called them. LOL I've calmed down now. Doesn't help that I drive for fedex so I have a little inside on what happens. You how how it is when u have plans n they end up not possible.
andyd00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:27 PM   #6
Divine 59

Don't know if this is the same Brothers business....but I have not had positive experiences for a "BAP"-aka Brothers Automotive Parts for another brand. Hope it is a different owner.
Divine 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #7
Gator Alum

Andy-I definitely understand where you are coming from. My truck is up in a garage (that isn't mine) and Rock Auto said they had a part in stock, then they didn't, wait they found a few. I paid for 2nd day shipping so I could get it out of the garage before I go out of town. Now it's not going to happen.
But everyone is right, in the grand scheme of things it's more of an inconvenience.
I have found through all of my recent parts searching that many of the vendors' websites are not that thorough or sophisticated (especially in the shipping area). Some of the charges are outrageous. We actually ship about 200 packages a day via FedEX so I know they are making some serious cash on their shipping charges. Good for them and I don't mind, I know it's business and all... I just don't like after filling all that stuff out that shipping is $45 which makes it $30 more than another vendor...
Good luck with the build though!
Gator Alum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
meter swinger

Im about to order a bumper from them since they are having a sale. Qouted me 50$ for shipping. I can live with the delay if thats what it takes since im moving at a snails pace anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #9
72Mountaineer

I just waited 8 weeks for a rear spring kit from Chassis Engineering. I feel your pain.
72Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #10
oldcouple

I often get a notice that parts are coming Fedex, turns out they deliver to the postoffice which delivers the next day to my house.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #11
Stepside Man

FYI. UPS uses USPS to ship items for them. Yes, I know, what?

UPS will pay the post office to deliver some of their packages to areas that UPS does not feel is worth taking a truck to or would be more cost effective. I have a friend who delivers mail and she was telling me about it.

I asked her why I was getting something from her when I know they shipped it UPS. Thats the answer I got.
1986 K35 Not a dually 350; 79 K20 Stripped
1973 and 1976 Chevy Truck Trailers
1995 Impala SS LT1
Stepside Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #12
mr48chev

It's a six month old thread but I got a package that way the other day from a non automotive vendor. It was shipped to the post office here in town and then delivered in the mail. Cost saving to the shipper I would have to believe.

It still ends up being quality of the item, service by the vendor, price and time from ordered to received that decides a lot of things that I order.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #13
Yewhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepside Man View Post
FYI. UPS uses USPS to ship items for them. Yes, I know, what?

UPS will pay the post office to deliver some of their packages to areas that UPS does not feel is worth taking a truck to or would be more cost effective. I have a friend who delivers mail and she was telling me about it.

I asked her why I was getting something from her when I know they shipped it UPS. Thats the answer I got.

I just had that happen. I was tracking the package via the UPS website. Saw that it made it to San Diego but then rather than a message saying out for delivery the tracking message read "transferred to Post Office for local delivery at shipper's request". Took an extra day to get beyond their original estimate.
Yewhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #14
OrrieG

I seem to recall an article where it said the USPS is reaching out to UPS and other shippers to have their postal guys do the final delivery since they are driving most of the streets every day anyway. I'll ask my brother he is a USPS carrier...
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote