The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
chevymadness

possible gas problems No start!

I want to know how many gallons are in 1 big black tank my right tank doesn't work so I have been using my left tank.I ask this cause this is my first truck and better yet the gas gauge does even work.Now I have been calculating my usage for months.After my tank was full i have used 33 miles and I'm not sure what gas mileage I get but I think it should get about 10.The truck runs great around town the original owner I baught it from tinkered the transmission to travel on a low gear and that's it.So it goes supper fast and I'm sure it does good gas mileage I'm not sure if 10 is good.So say my truck was getting 7mpg that means iv used about 4 1/2 gallons tops and I know the big tank has more then 4 gallons.My truck is sitting in the front yard because it doesn't start! It was running fine all week I noticed 3 days ago I turned the ignition and it didn't start but other then that it was all good.The only other problem I have is with the gas pump I need to replace that I been told and I been running it to its death it has a few grinding sounds when i drive it but that's not unusual it's been months like that.Right now I tried starting it and pumping the pedal like 8 times no start! Could this be low gas.I have a 82 silverado long bed 350 v8 everything on the is preety good ignition has been replaced I think lol
Posted via Mobile Device

It's all about original guys original let me say again original.
chevymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
Dead Parrot

Re: possible gas problems No start!

Assuming a PO didn't do something weird, tanks on these trucks are normally either 16 (short bed) or 20(long bed). Some LB trucks have the 16 as well. A quick test for fuel starvation is to pour about 1/2 a shot glass of gas down the carb and try starting it(Don't over do the gas, just a little! NO pouring while cranking!). If it runs for a second or so, you have a fuel delivery problem. If you replace the fuel pump, replace any filters downstream from the pump and blow out those lines. You don't want dead pump pieces causing more problems.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
chevymadness

Re: possible gas problems No start!

It was the gas seems I miscalculated a lot but regardless I think it's eating up gas terribly damn truck I still have like 7 gallons or 10 unaccounted for the carb is a piece of **** on this thing.
Posted via Mobile Device

It's all about original guys original let me say again original.
chevymadness is offline   Reply With Quote