The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #1
TwinTurbo

T5 or T56 swap

Are there any good threads documenting T5 or T56 swaps? I hav a 3rd Gen V8 WC T5 complete w/ clutch & hydraulics sitting and also a brand new retrofit T56. I prefer using the T5 because I want to keep the T56 for one of my 3rd gens but I may change my mind depending on what I found out. Any help greatly appreciated. Should go ito 83 C10 stepside with EFI 350.
TwinTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
mopar346

Re: T5 or T56 swap

Yes there are a number, I think the one by Brad in the 67 forum was the best and had links to the others. The main concern to a vehicle as heavy as these is the strength of even a WC T-5 but there is a lot of info out there about that as well, seems a billet bearing retainer is a must for a strong unit. Use and abuse of course play a significant roel in their lifespan. I have a number somewhere to a guy that builds them for drag racing, he is running them in several wheel toting 10 second Mustangs which is probably more abuse than you will put it through.

The T-56 is much stronger in stock form, but also a lot more expensive to come up with one (or another one in your case).
mopar346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
wraprail

I installed a WC T5 from a 1990 Camaro into my 73 C10 SWB in 2002 after my muncie broke 1st gear. The overdrive T5 was welcome with my 3.70 rear. I put over 50k miles on the trans and it already had 90k. As you know the F body T5 is canted/angled 17 degress in the Camaro but the transmission mount stays horizontal. This was done in the camaro so it would fit in the trans tunnel and for ground clearance.
There are a few ways to install it in a pickup. I have heard you can use a tail housing from a S10 which not only corrects the transmission mount but moves the shifter forward in a more truck like position.
I went the easy route and used the F car bellhousing and my stock crossmember and trans mount. I used the camaro slave, clutch fork and TB and mounted a wilwood 3/4 master cylinder to my firewall and used my stock truck clutch pedal.
Shifter I used the base plate from the camaro, guts from a ford mustang (gave me a shorter throw and has the 2 hole mounting same as a Hurst) and a Hurst 17" shifter stick which I bent slightly to make up for the trans mounting angle.
Slid my crossmember back drilled new holes in frame for mounting and shortened my driveshaft. Same driveshaft yoke as turbo 350, powerglide 700r4. All wrecking yard parts and did it on the cheap.
I still have that trans and plan to put it in my next progect. Great tranny as long as you don't drag race it.
One more thing , If you have a low hump cab you will have to cut it out. I just found a
4X4 cab at pic-a-part cut the hump out,put sealant all around and screwed it in with 20+ self tappers. Instant hi hump.
wraprail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
TwinTurbo

I know the weak parts of the T4, not only th front bearing retainer is the issue, the real issue is that the case spreads and the 2 shafts walk away from each otehr causing gear mesh problems. G force has an upgraded case to handle that.

As for the T56, I also have an LS1 T56, it's in my 82 TA now for mockup but since I'm building a 495LSX for that I'll end up getting a stronger T56 because I will blow it up most likely. I want to do this as cheap as possible using as many parts as I have since the other builds I have ar taking up money fast (esp. the 82 TA)

I'll look for the build threads.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:43 AM   #5
andrewmp6

If you keep the 350 stock the t5 should be ok,I'm a ford car guy i have blown up 2 t5s in my life time but i do have a lead foot lol.Worse case you can upgrade the t5 if needed tho.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:26 AM   #6
TwinTurbo

It's not a stock 350 LOL, it's got TFS twisted wedge heads, a lot more cam, Street & Performance Multiport, P600B Procharger..I'll probably destroy the T5 but I have spares.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:48 AM   #7
TwinTurbo

I looked through some threads and 1 thing I noticed is that people are purring 3rd gen trannies and mounting them straight up with an adapter. Not a big issue but the FILL PLUG is!!! The upper plug is for the 17deg. tilted F body setup, if you mount these straight up you should drill out the other hole and use that for a level plug otherwise the trans will be overfilled.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:02 AM   #8
andrewmp6

I hope you have free towing on your car insurance your gonna need it lol.I'd look up the price of beefing up the t5 vs buying a different trans see which is cheaper for you.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:11 AM   #9
TwinTurbo

That's my fear also, however in my buddies 88 camaro the stock WC T5 is still alive and it's got a 350 ZZ3 w/ TPI and a P600B too.. however it is a lighter car.

I have 2 T56s, 2 T5s of which one has a broken reverse gear (both WCs) and a ZF6 speed. The last is way to big and the shifter is way back. The others have the shifter in the wrong position also. I've been looking at the NV 4500 but there are none for sale here (netherlands) and it would have to be a 2WD setup. This really seems like the bst trans for the swap, a top mounted shifter and rugged too. Don't mind if it shifts like a farm truck (the C30 dually does too with the stock 3 speed w/ creeper gear) and it's actually kind of fun.

Decisions decisions... don't want to spend thousands and thousan ds on this.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #10
BigBlocksRule

The clutch and your rear tires are what will determine what will live.
A clutch that will slip a bit as it grabs takes a lot of the shock off of the drive line. Tires that won't hook completely are the same way. Add slicks and all bets are off until you step up to a Doug Nash or other race type tranny.
And if you have the money, Keisler has released a new 5-speed that'll handle 700 ft.lbs.!
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:39 AM   #11
mopar346

With that engine and the weight of a square you need to get off the T-5 thought. Minimum T-56 but probably an aftermarket set up or go back to a 4 speed. The NV4500 has a really low through and the sets between the ratios will really take a lot of the fun out of that engine. The weight is really your enemy here. I have rad something about only using an organic clutch with a T-5 for the exact reason Bigblock is talking about and of course as he said if it aint hooking you aint breaking stuff. Bit of a quandry but they are usually solved with money. I can appreciate wanting to use something you have but it seems regardless howmuch stuff I have I have to buy more stuff for the build at hand. Maybe I just need to plan a build around the stuff I have, but this aint about me.

It's be interesting to see what you come up with and why.
mopar346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #12
TwinTurbo

Most likely back to a 700R4, I have one of those lying around too. Damn I would have loved to have a manual in it... maybe sometime later then.