The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
mygirlz55

Camaro clip steering question

Does anyone have pictures/measurements for a Camaro clipped 55-59 using the stock steering column of the truck meeting up to the Camaro steering box/shaft.
I don't quite know how much to cut off of the column side.I used the thread from'jalopy journal' but it doesn't have too much info on this part of the build. Would like to see what you guys have done
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
mygirlz55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
NW Task Force

Re: Camaro clip steering question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygirlz55 View Post
Does anyone have pictures/measurements for a Camaro clipped 55-59 using the stock steering column of the truck meeting up to the Camaro steering box/shaft.
I don't quite know how much to cut off of the column side.I used the thread from'jalopy journal' but it doesn't have too much info on this part of the build. Would like to see what you guys have done
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
I did just as you described.........stock steering column with camaro clip and using a custom fabbed steering shaft with u-joint. I'll post some pics soon.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:05 AM   #3
mygirlz55

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Task Force View Post
I did just as you described.........stock steering column with camaro clip and using a custom fabbed steering shaft with u-joint. I'll post some pics soon.
Excellent. Look forward to the pictures etc.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #4
NW Task Force

Here is my setup. The double U-joint piece is something I bought off a swap meet table for $10. I believe it is from a Chevy/GMC Astro/Safari van. The existing steering shaft is a modified camaro shaft to fit the U-joint piece. The bottom of the stock steering column has a aftermarket bearing installed that supports the factory steering shaft in the column. The "support" bearing you see near the A-arm is something I made to support the U-joint piece from "walking" around. The setup seems to work well.
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
mygirlz55

Thanks NW, that all makes sense. Like your use of the parts. Did you keep the original pickup steering column or replace the whole thing with the camaro?
my camaro column was crap so I was thinking of using the stock pickup column.
Thanks for the help.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
mr48chev

One thing to remember is when you cut the stock column off the gear box cut it long an then after you have the steering shaft out of it cut the tube to the correct length.

The correct length is with enough tube sticking through the firewall to have everything work right but not so long that it creates more of an angle for the U joint below it.
If you still have the Camaro steering column you could take it apart and see if you could use the steering shaft from it if it is not a tilt. That would give you the proper end on the bottom of the shaft to put a U joint on without a bunch of hassle. You might be able to use the lower bearing out of the Camaro column or you can hunt down a proper bearing from a bearing house or parts house if that doesn't pan out.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #7
NW Task Force

Quote:
Thanks NW, that all makes sense. Like your use of the parts. Did you keep the original pickup steering column or replace the whole thing with the camaro?
my camaro column was crap so I was thinking of using the stock pickup column.
Thanks for the help.
I am using the stock 57' steering column with factory "round" shaft. I modified the "round" shaft at the bottom by using my bandsaw to notch it for the U-joint hookup. It needed a flat side to the shaft in order to work. Hope this makes sense?
Old 10-06-2012, 02:24 AM   #8
mygirlz55

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Task Force View Post
I am using the stock 57' steering column with factory "round" shaft. I modified the "round" shaft at the bottom by using my bandsaw to notch it for the U-joint hookup. It needed a flat side to the shaft in order to work. Hope this makes sense?
Makes complete sense.
After seeing your reply earlier I started looking online and found you were correct about the part coming off of a Chevy van. Went to the wrecking yard and found it. Picked it up (paid $30, but well worth it in my opinion) and looks as if will work just fine with the stock steering shaft on one end and the camaro shaft coming from the steering box.
I cut the truck steering shaft right at the stock steering box so I have plenty of material to work with to get it just right.
Do you recall where the "holder" that you mounted to support came from? That's what I will be searching for next.
Thanks for all the help.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #9
mr48chev

The steering shaft on NW Task Force's truck makes a nice smooth transition from the column to the box and that is one thing that makes for real smooth bind free steering. That's one of the best looking setups I've seen using stock parts and should be trouble free for a long time.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #10
NW Task Force

Quote:
Makes complete sense.
After seeing your reply earlier I started looking online and found you were correct about the part coming off of a Chevy van. Went to the wrecking yard and found it. Picked it up (paid $30, but well worth it in my opinion) and looks as if will work just fine with the stock steering shaft on one end and the camaro shaft coming from the steering box.
I cut the truck steering shaft right at the stock steering box so I have plenty of material to work with to get it just right.
Do you recall where the "holder" that you mounted to support came from? That's what I will be searching for next.
Thanks for all the help.
Right on!!!! Glad you found a U-joint setup out of a van. The aftermarket U-joint setups in speed shop catalogs are very pricey and I wanted to find a much cheaper alternative. The "pedistal" bearing you see for the transition is a $15 piece from Speedway Catalog. Its universal in application. They are mainly used for steering shaft support coming out of the firewall. I fabbed a custom bracket to hold this bearing. Notching the stock steering column shaft is the only part that will take a little time (measuring & cutting). Good luck! Let me know if you have any other questions.