The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
Terry12

My 66 Stepside

Hello everyone, I recently acquired a 66 stepside. I have been driving it around every chance I get, I love it. But I have come across a problem with it. Its hard to describe, but here it goes. Every time I get in and start it up....or even look at it, my mind starts spinning out of control. I am constantly jumping back and forth of what I want to do with it. I could do this or I could do that or both. Do this first and at the same do that..... well I dont know if anyone can help me.... here is a pic....
Attached Images

Terry12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:07 AM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: My 66 Stepside

Welcome to the forum! That's a nice straight looking truck. All I can suggest is don't tear into anything that takes longer than a weekend to put back together, certainly in the beginning. It's very easy to convert a functioning vehicle into a pile of parts, and then it's difficult to stay focused and keep enthusiasm high.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:45 AM   #3
Terry12

I will definitely have to remember the weekend thing. Right now I like the engine and tranny setup, its a 250 with 3 on the tree, so I wont be doing anything there at least for a while. I think the first things I want to do are the suspension front/back and the front brakes. Right now those are needed just for plain safety reasons.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #4
Jeff La

Get it mechanically sound and safe to drive and then drive it a while and get a game plan down on what you want to do and start from there
Jeff La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
gimmy 64

it's a sickness i think everyone on this site has.do as Mark said do things like brakes, and such to make it safe. or go with the disc brakes and power steering. both of these could be done in a weekend each. ask alot of guys on here that have torn ther trucks all apart and how long they have not driven them. i know because i had a 55 chevy that was a frame off and it takes forever and like me very easy to loose intrest.good luck and welcome to the sickness.
gimmy 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
62 Barnfind

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
Welcome to the forum! That's a nice straight looking truck. All I can suggest is don't tear into anything that takes longer than a weekend to put back together, certainly in the beginning. It's very easy to convert a functioning vehicle into a pile of parts, and then it's difficult to stay focused and keep enthusiasm high.
You are right. I have been working on mine since Jan and still not done. I am at that point I need to get motivated again. Do a little at a time so you stay motivated. Good luck!
My build tread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=507513
62 Barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
McCoyAZ

When I got my 64 I was the same way and I took some of the advice these well seasond veterans gave me and that was to "RELAX"

I picked the brakes 1st, the old drum style and got them functioning and then went on a parts hunting expedition.

Got the old 6 cylinder running as good as it could and tried to get the Three on the Tree to work properly.

When the last 2 projects failed was when I decided to jump in with both feet and convert to an 8 cyl and auto trans, new bucket seats, new modern front end with power steering, power brakes.

Decided on the "look" I wanted and went out getting more parts, which I have yet to find the hood that I want but am mostly on track for what I want.

It takes time and money....I have way more time than I do money.
McCoyAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:35 PM   #8
FetchMeAPepsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
All I can suggest is don't tear into anything that takes longer than a weekend to put back together, certainly in the beginning. It's very easy to convert a functioning vehicle into a pile of parts, and then it's difficult to stay focused and keep enthusiasm high.
This should be polished up, framed, and stamped on every box of parts you can buy. It's the best advice you'll get. It's so easy to get sidetracked while she's in pieces or get to a point where you glance at her all torn apart and wince at the work you've got left to do.

I make it a point to *try* to keep mine drivable every weekday even if the bed is apart, or maybe the fenders are off, or the hood, or it's running funny because I have a part in my hand and I'm speeding to Autozone. As long as I can drive it I stay motivated.

Of course that's from someone that's severely OCD with a severe thirst for learning. I'll work on a project for a week without eating or sleeping if I can get away with it, but family dictates different and that causes me to lose my train of thought. From there on out it's hard to get focused again if I'm staring at a parts bin.
See My Build - Cecilia!
Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
FetchMeAPepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:53 PM   #9
CRGRS 66

Welcome to the forum. I highly recommend to follow markeb's advice. I also highly recommend taking some time to enjoy it, drive it, and get to know it... intimately before you undertake anything major. Number one though is safety. Brakes, Tires, Steering, they need to be reliable. Brakes are number one, tires and steering follow behind in the same breath.

Great looking truck, hope to hear from you often. One thread that is fun to follow is the "what did you do to your truck today" thread. I also highly recommed that you check out markeb's thread, and go through it from the beginning. There are dozens of others to follow, I follow close to 90 build threads, markeb's patience, innovation, skill, and detail are formidable. You look at markeb has done... and he doesn't weld!

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
CRGRS 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:54 PM   #10
CRGRS 66

oh, curious, trouble getting to sleep at night because you are building your truck in your head... ya, me too

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
Old 10-06-2012, 12:49 AM   #11
Terry12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGRS 66 View Post
oh, curious, trouble getting to sleep at night because you are building your truck in your head... ya, me too
Exactly.... I have made dozens of trucks already...then I snap out of it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-06-2012, 01:00 AM   #12
Terry12

"I highly recommend to follow markeb's advice" crgrs66

I will...
Old 10-06-2012, 01:22 AM   #13
Rich 5150 69

Welcome to the site, you`ve got a good start..just remember there are no dumb questions, just the one not asked.
`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #14
scot 6 feet eleven

get it driveable for sure , look at lots of trucks , get a plan then attack!!
Old 10-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #15
Z POPPY

Everyone here is right. Make it road worthy. Enjoy it, drive it look at other trucks. I drove mine for 9 months before I started the frame up resto / mod. I have got great ideas here and you will too. Have fun take your time.
Z POPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #16
CRGRS 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich 5150 69 View Post
Welcome to the site, you`ve got a good start..just remember there are no dumb questions, just the one not asked.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #17
awbrown

I didnt follow that good bit of advice and ended up buying another truck to drive while I am "restoring " my other truck... I think it is more like "storing it " instead of restoring it ...
awbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:11 PM   #18
Bomp

Welcome. Do what you are comfortable with doing. Read and gather tools,info,parts and most important knowledgeable experience.
When time comes and you have a full blown project on your hands you will be able to enjoy it instead of having a giant headache.
You have a great start.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #19
CRGRS 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Welcome. Do what you are comfortable with doing. Read and gather tools,info,parts and most important knowledgeable experience.
When time comes and you have a full blown project on your hands you will be able to enjoy it instead of having a giant headache.
You have a great start.
, Just from following along with build threads, asking questions, and seeking out information, I have become confident enough to take on some tasks that I didn't dream of before.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #20
Terry12

Thanks Bomp, I was just starting to read your build thread a few minutes ago.....I am doing a lot of reading and making a shopping/wish list. I have two strong contacts/friends ones a mechanic and the other is currently building a custom jeep. I am just going through the truck and learning to fix things on my own.....and enjoying driving it around.
Posted via Mobile Device