The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
justahoby

Door skin or just keep block sanding it

Shot some paint on my truck, fenders and cab look great! Doors, mmmn quite wavey..... took it down to metal primed sanded... pretty much is free of rust, but after the paint looks as if I took a rusty door and threw bondo on it... I know better, but the doors are the only thing looking like hell I could pull the doors and throw more primer on, block sand , but question is??? how much work is door skins, like grind the sucker off and tack weld my new metal on there? Worth it, or PITA?
justahoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
SS Tim

Re: Door skin or just keep block sanding it

Any low crown panel can be a challenge. Do you have any pictures of it blocked showing guide coat?
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
justahoby

no pictures, right now it looks perfect with artificialligth in the garage, when I open the door it like transforms into this garbage when the outdoor light hits it. Havent taken it outside . I will be driving it soon so I may buy a doorskin at a time or do a door at a time.. the lower looks bad but really the whole door, I am using an off white on the whole truck. I may just get another door set and slowly work on them and when I am ready throw them on.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #4
schurg

what are the 5 'P's of painting? Prep, Prep, Prep, Paint, Polish...

I'd take a look at it in natural light and see what you think. I'd like to see what it looks like with a guide coat. what about shooting a coat of polyester primer on it, then blocking? poly tends to tie things together alot better then 2k, just a thought. good luck to ya
schurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #5
biggestjohn

I don't know if this is what you are dealing with, but I noticed that when I was sanding my doors, the panels were flexing quite a lot. (aftermarket doors)

I had to reinforce the inner panel with, well I used a kevlar/carbon weave, but you could use a fiberglass weave.

Skins will have the same problem.

I also had the same problem with the lower panels on the fenders.

.......every time I screw up, I learn something. Needless to say, I'm learning all the time............

Last edited by biggestjohn; 10-06-2012 at 10:19 AM. Reason: oops
biggestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #6
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Just sayin....
Attached Images

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #7
biggestjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
Just sayin....
Just sayin', that guy on the end cayn't spail!!!

Or did you want Baseball?

.......every time I screw up, I learn something. Needless to say, I'm learning all the time............
Old 10-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #8
hugger6933

How many coats of what products did you use? I start 80 then go 220 grit [most don't do this step] then 2coats of epoxy primer then 2-3 coats of high build primer. That is when you need to da sand it and re prime a coat or two of hig build then guide coat it. It you skip the 220 git da sanding step of the high build after the first aplication it will show more waves. Also the 220 grit after the first high build ap will help in the removal of the orange peel and other roughness. Once all that is done you can spray a couple more coats then go on to the guide coat process.The guide coat if your not use to it is just what it says it guides you through the sanding steps. The guide comes in different forms from powder to spray can all are good and effective. Apply the coat and start sanding with a board the longer the better to keep things flat over a larger surface. Stay in a criss cross pattern and if the coating leaves quickly it is high if it stays too long it is low. Depending on the size and depth you may need to either put primer [more high build ][or 2 part putty or even filler. the 2 part finishing putty is easy to apply and does not require the surface to be groud back like as in the case of filler. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:19 AM   #9
ItsRandy

There is also some sprayable filler like stuff that is called Slick Sand, I think Eastwood has it. I haven't used it but I have been told it is a bit expensive but worth every penny.
ItsRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:17 AM   #10
biggestjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRandy View Post
There is also some sprayable filler like stuff that is called Slick Sand, I think Eastwood has it. I haven't used it but I have been told it is a bit expensive but worth every penny.
Evercoat G2, same stuff. Its a pain to clean the gun after use, but a nice product. Needs a large nozzle, like a 2.3.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #11
justahoby

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
How many coats of what products did you use? I start 80 then go 220 grit [most don't do this step] then 2coats of epoxy primer then 2-3 coats of high build primer. That is when you need to da sand it and re prime a coat or two of hig build then guide coat it. It you skip the 220 git da sanding step of the high build after the first aplication it will show more waves. Also the 220 grit after the first high build ap will help in the removal of the orange peel and other roughness. Once all that is done you can spray a couple more coats then go on to the guide coat process.The guide coat if your not use to it is just what it says it guides you through the sanding steps. The guide comes in different forms from powder to spray can all are good and effective. Apply the coat and start sanding with a board the longer the better to keep things flat over a larger surface. Stay in a criss cross pattern and if the coating leaves quickly it is high if it stays too long it is low. Depending on the size and depth you may need to either put primer [more high build ][or 2 part putty or even filler. the 2 part finishing putty is easy to apply and does not require the surface to be groud back like as in the case of filler. Jim
This about what I did, I am going to go over it again... I wet sanded the paints and it went away but know it will show when shiny, so just going to go over the process again on the doors.. As said i believe the metal on these door flexes and buckles. Dont know if they weakened and did it off an accident vehicle that was hit hard in the front, or were previously slammed the hell out of from being out of alignment on it it or what.. I may just garb another set of doors and start over if the metal is doing this
Old 10-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #12
justahoby

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestjohn View Post
I don't know if this is what you are dealing with, but I noticed that when I was sanding my doors, the panels were flexing quite a lot. (aftermarket doors)

I had to reinforce the inner panel with, well I used a kevlar/carbon weave, but you could use a fiberglass weave.

Skins will have the same problem.

I also had the same problem with the lower panels on the fenders.
I believe mine are flexing, I may just get another set of doors that havent been slammed to death by the previous owner, which I am sure they have been, his answer to terrible door hinges. I dont want perfect, but 5 coats of build primer and block sanding did this, I am sure the door is flexing, passengers door doesnt seem to flex as much..