The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Timing Tip

I've been messing with the timing now for a couple of weeks. Last week I bit the bullet and bought an Innova 3568 series timing light. It was pricey ($100),
but I'm a guy working almost always alone, and I really wanted to have a digital that read out RPM and advance rate. So, I treated myself.

So, I was also doing too many things at once. New carb, dialing in the electric fans, going to the "shop" for 134a in the Vintage Air system, new coil on the HEI....
...Too many variables.

And....to top it all off, I couldn't find the dots on the harmonic balancer that I had made while we were wrenching on the motor when it was out. And while we were "stabbing" the Accel HEI.

I thought I had the timing good enough using the "running good" method of advance and retard. Then, the putz wouldn't start after sitting for 6 hours. I blamed everything I listed above.
Then, I found the mark(s) on tyhe balancer....Yay!!!!

Went to 14/29 (idle/total timing) degrees using that mark....Wanted 12/33 or 34 but that wasn't in the "run good in the garage" cards. So, I went with the former.

Road test. "Ouch!" Ran like a pig. Seemed really, really retarded. But what do I know. I slewpt on it. I read the Forum on it...Seemed like I better check the balancer mark for TDC.
No lie, it took two of us an hour with a 1/2 18" ratchet to hand-turn the motor on the lower pulley, one thumb over the empty #1 spark plug hole "feeling" for the air on the compression stroke,
cutting an 8" chunk of plastic hanger to use as a feeler in the same hole. Then, we were certain about where TDC was on the compression stroke on #1.

I painted a dot. It was at least 45 degrees away from the mark I had made before.

Now, I'm, at 12/32. No test drive yet today. No "start when cool" test, either. But, I bet it's a done deal. All the indicators are that she's right on the money. Like, the fact that the back two
header pipes on the exhaust ports don't glow red under higher RPMs.

The tip? Unless you really, really trust who put the TDC "dot" on your balancer, verify that it's correct. This little fubar cost me a cruise in the truck to a gathering tomorrow.
I need to work the bugs out and not leave myself and my woman stranded on the side of the road.

So, we take the car......Had I checked the TDC earlier, I'd bet tomorrow would be a smooth truck ride with fresh, cold air conditioning.

Oh, well!
Attached Images

But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
Lee H

Re: Timing Tip

Yup, as stated on this forum many times by many people, verifying TDC with the balancer and tab is timing 101. It's the first thing that should be checked. Glad you got it figured out. Hope the test drive is great!
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
shawno72
C/10 junkie

What!! So your not bringing the truck tomorrow?!?! Man that's a bummer
Posted via Mobile Device

70 LWB C10 current driver/project
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=663051
68 SWB C10 Work in progress.....SOLD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559520
72 LWB C10 Sold
71 LWB C10 Sold
68 LWB C10 CST Sold

http://youtu.be/kbB0QrBIs9k

My mom always had the best advice. It was just a tad late. After a fall that involved blood, she'd say....."Careful!"
shawno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:02 PM   #4
magwakeenercew2jh

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawno72 View Post
What!! So your not bringing the truck tomorrow?!?! Man that's a bummer
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks. Agreed.
But always a rat.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #5
Wrenchbender Ret

Some models of those engines had the timing mark straight up on the damper. You timed it through the gap between the water pump & the ting cover. Your damper probably came from one of those engines. The tab will be correct within about 2 degrees + or - with the correct damper.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:00 PM   #6
magwakeenercew2jh

Yeah, Wrench.

But that's what (I think) got me screwed up. The balancer had a machined groove cut across it's circumference that I may have taken to be the TDC mark...That's where
I made the original corresponding "dots" on the face of the balancer to read on the "pointer".

Speaking of points...The point for me was that I really didn't know *what* I had. So now I know that in the future, if I don't ABSOLUTELY KNOW where TDC is,
I had better find out before I make any ASSumptions.
But always a rat.