The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2012, 12:04 AM   #1
63ChevC10

Fuel Tank Opinions...

I'm putting a new tank in the truck. Any advice on whether to put another behind the seat tank in, or go with the under bed mounted style? I'd love to know how easy/hard the under bed mounted ones are to install.
63ChevC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:25 AM   #2
bj383ss

Re: Fuel Tank Opinions...

From what I can tell on the underbed tanks is the install is not that hard. You just need to make 2 braces going across the frame to mount the tank straps to.

The problem I see is where to put the filler neck. I don't really like the idea of it being in the bed but on a stepside you don't really have much choice.

I currently have a (jerry rigged) circle track fuel cell bolted under the rear of mine. And 20 ft of rubber hose going up to the fuel pump. The pickup is on the bottom left corner pointed towards the front of the truck and its lower than the fuel pump inlet. So right now I am trying to figure out how to get the gas flowing up to the fuel pump so I can get it started. My last hurdle.

My brother in law rigged this up when he had the truck. Not sure how well it worked. I may end up pulling it for now and just bolting it in the front of the bed. Will solve my gravity issue for the time being.

Bret
Old 10-07-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
McCoyAZ

The purists here will tell you to leave it behind the seat.

Personally I am putting mine under the bed.
McCoyAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
63ChevC10

Thanks guys. I'm still not sure what I want to do. I don't want to get involved in a lot of fabrication, but it would be nice to have the space behind the seat.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
Twiztid_66c10

I would say in the bed the 1949-1952 Chevy car tanks go right in the back and then I just found out the late 60's Camaro should also and just need to make a bracket to fold down where the rear licence plate would be
Posted via Mobile Device

1942 chevy/divco ambulance
1937 chevy truck
Twiztid_66c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
63ChevC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiztid_66c10 View Post
I would say in the bed the 1949-1952 Chevy car tanks go right in the back and then I just found out the late 60's Camaro should also and just need to make a bracket to fold down where the rear licence plate would be
Posted via Mobile Device
Do you know if the sending unit from one of those tanks will work with the factory gauge in the truck?
Old 10-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
Twiztid_66c10

You Know not for sure haven't looked that far into it I think 66roadster is his name he did the 50's Chevy one there are a few other post on this to
Posted via Mobile Device

1942 chevy/divco ambulance
1937 chevy truck
Twiztid_66c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
FetchMeAPepsi

I carry mine in the back. Every few minutes I just yell, "Get out and push!"

J/K. I'm a purist. The blowup hype is overrated. The only ones that had issues were some of the 80s trucks (IIRR) with side mounted outside frame tanks.

That said, there have been some really cool bumper filler necks and rear fender filler necks too. I don't know about putting it so close to a tail light, but those folks dont seem to have probs. And it looks pretty nice. See Alan's build thread here for one I'm fond of.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...postcount=3956
See My Build - Cecilia!
Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.

Last edited by FetchMeAPepsi; 10-07-2012 at 04:23 PM.
FetchMeAPepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #9
63ChevC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiztid_66c10 View Post
You Know not for sure haven't looked that far into it I think 66roadster is his name he did the 50's Chevy one there are a few other post on this to
Posted via Mobile Device
Ok, I'll keep an eye out. Thanks!
Old 10-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #10
63ChevC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi View Post
I carry mine in the back. Every few minutes I just yell, "Get out and push!"

J/K. I'm a purist. The blowup hype is overrated. The only ones that had issues were some of the 80s trucks (IIRR) with side mounted outside frame tanks.

That said, there have been some really cool bumper filler necks and rear fender filler necks too. I don't know about putting it so close to a tail light, but those folks dont seem to have probs. And it looks pretty nice. See Alan's build thread here for one I'm fond of.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...postcount=3956
Ha...maybe your first suggestion is worth a try! I looked at Alan's truck. Looks like it was that way from the factory!
Old 10-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #11
Rich 5150 69

Rear tank install now in progress..short fleetside.
`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #12
Rich 5150 69

one more pic
Attached Images

`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #13
luvbowties

Thumbs up Re: Fuel Tank Opinions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj383ss View Post
From what I can tell on the underbed tanks is the install is not that hard. You just need to make 2 braces going across the frame to mount the tank straps to.

The problem I see is where to put the filler neck. I don't really like the idea of it being in the bed but on a stepside you don't really have much choice.

I currently have a (jerry rigged) circle track fuel cell bolted under the rear of mine. And 20 ft of rubber hose going up to the fuel pump. The pickup is on the bottom left corner pointed towards the front of the truck and its lower than the fuel pump inlet. So right now I am trying to figure out how to get the gas flowing up to the fuel pump so I can get it started. My last hurdle.

My brother in law rigged this up when he had the truck. Not sure how well it worked. I may end up pulling it for now and just bolting it in the front of the bed. Will solve my gravity issue for the time being.

Bret
Here's another vote to mount it underbed. Hi, bj383ss, re: "the idea of it being in the bed but on a stepside you don't really have much choice"...here's a choice made when I found an $18 alum fuel cell at a scrapyard...was a simple rectangular 20-gallon. Hope idea helps another builder.
(An idea about getting fuel to your pump: I am using an elec pump bought off Ebay for $20 that does a good job--you may wanna splice one into your 20-ft flex line. HTH.)
Attached Images

luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #14
bj383ss

Thanks Luvbowties. I have logged that one away for future use. I suppose I could just find a fuel door from a squarebody chevy and graft it into the fender. Is this a picture of you truck. If so do you have anymore showing how you ran the filler neck to the tank.

Thanks for the electric pump Idea. I ended up putting it in the bed for now. I got the truck started finally! So I am a happy camper now.

Bret
Old 10-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #15
1enick72

http://www.bobdrake.com/Categories3....b-9f358301a978

These guys offer the rear tank for 49-52 and they offer a in tank sending unit for electric fuel pump.

edited by staff
1enick72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #16
63ChevC10

I've been looking at the kit on lmc as well. It seems like the basics are there, except a fill neck. I'm just not sure if I want to deal with fabbing a place for it or not. I appreciate all of the information everyone has!
Old 10-08-2012, 09:37 PM   #17
65Gregg

The LMC tank hangs down quite a lot, it's very visible, kind of ugly in my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device

Blue long bed
White TBSS
61 Impala
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” Mark Twain
65Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #18
63ChevC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Gregg View Post
The LMC tank hangs down quite a lot, it's very visible, kind of ugly in my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the info. I was wondering how it looked. I definitely don't want that.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #19
luvbowties

Thumbs up Re: Fuel Tank Opinions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj383ss View Post
Thanks Luvbowties. I have logged that one away for future use. I suppose I could just find a fuel door from a squarebody chevy and graft it into the fender. Is this a picture of you truck. If so do you have anymore showing how you ran the filler neck to the tank.

Thanks for the electric pump Idea. I ended up putting it in the bed for now. I got the truck started finally! So I am a happy camper now.

Bret
You're welcome. Fuel door I used was from approx. 1986 G20 van(3/4-ton, but some, like this had 5 lugs). And yes it is my truck that began life as green. See pics included here of fuel door & fill pipe--not too plain, but you'll get the general idea. Glad you got yours started; makes life so much more exciting

RE: elec. pump idea--try to find on Ebay a known brand(an inexpensive Airtex, Holley?, etc., usually from an individual who just doesn't need it) pumping around 5 psi up to 10 psi; but avoid the tempting unknown Chinese(?) brands. Check Advance A/P & compare prices to know when a good deal comes along. I wired mine in with a low-dollar relay I found on my shelf--gotta love relays! Runs all the time, but quiet & designed that way & barely noticeable; does fantastic job after truck has sat a long time & fuel in carb bowl needs re-filling: press accelerator a coupla times with switch on & pump running, & it fills bowl immediately; with elec choke properly adjusted, it starts so fast you'd guess it had fuel injection. And mine picks/pulls up fuel from a level that's lower than mech. pump location. Elec. pump I mounted on frame rail about 6-7 feet in front of tank:see in top left pic. Tank straps I fastened to existing cross braces, front & rear--quite easy to find appropriate/existing locations to drill-and-bolt.

If you need more specifics, just holler & I'll try to help.
Attached Images

Last edited by luvbowties; 10-08-2012 at 11:08 PM. Reason: add final pic
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:00 AM   #20
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Underbed, tig welded aluminum 16gal fuel cell with tank foam, filler neck hidden under false bed board.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #21
63ChevC10

So many choices. So little time...and money! I think I'm leaning toward just staying with the behind the seat tank. Just cause it easier.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #22
chevyrestoguy

I wonder why nobody ever considers using the saddle tank from a '73-'87 and mounting it in our trucks in the same location? This way, you can have the tank out of the cab to give you more room AND you can use the original spare tire location? Seems to me like that would be the best of both worlds...

It's a Chevy. I can almost bet you can use all factory parts to make it work.

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:59 PM   #23
63ChevC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy View Post
I wonder why nobody ever considers using the saddle tank from a '73-'87 and mounting it in our trucks in the same location? This way, you can have the tank out of the cab to give you more room AND you can use the original spare tire location? Seems to me like that would be the best of both worlds...

It's a Chevy. I can almost bet you can use all factory parts to make it work.
That is a good question indeed. I might have to see what that would involve. By the way, I've been following your build on here. Looks great and gives me hope for mine!
Old 10-09-2012, 11:42 PM   #24
rustbucket66

At last, someone is thinking about something other than the tank between the rear framerails. The last time I restored my truck, years back, I had the saddle type tanks, with the filler neck sitting at about a 45 facing rearwards, towards the wheel well opening. You couldn't even see it. No holes.....anywhere. Not on the box floor, or the body of the truck. I had a tin can sitting over the neck to protect it from the water and mud that the tire would throw around, and the filler neck and cap stayed perfectly clean underneath. At the gas station, slide the can off, and just stick the handle inside the fender opening towards the front, where the filler neck is, and fill it. This gives you the advantage of two tanks if you want, and still have a place to mount your spare tire at the back. I've thrown away my old tanks, as they were rusty, but I will get some custom made tanks made out of stainless, and fab some brackets to mount the tanks on, and bolt to the framerail. I think there was 18 or 20 gallons in each one, and a switch to change tanks. You need a sender on each tank if you are using two. I used a selenoid to switch tanks, and switch from a 73 to 80 chevy truck, and the guage works for each one. The cabs in these trucks have very little storage behind the seat, so it is nice to remove the tank so you can put speakers or storage compartments back there. I think I may be the only one to ever do it like this, but the advantages are many. It only works for fleetside boxes though, as the step on a stepside is right where the tank would be.
rustbucket66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:24 AM   #25
dracko

Hey Rustbucket. I like that idea, what did you use the saddle tanks from? There isn't much room between my tire and fender though. Not sure how it'd be getting the gas handle in there.
dracko is offline   Reply With Quote