The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
dromano

Suspension Advice

Howdy,

Just picked up a '72 GMC SWB. It was restored a few years back and has a great solid drivetrain. 350 w/ a 350 turbo.

I want to lower it, I love the slammed look but can't afford an hotchkis or ride tech suspension kit.

I've got about $1,200 to spend on parts. Will be doing the labor myself. It drives like a dream right so I don't want to hack up the suspension by cutting the springs or throwing in some cheap ones.

I want to improve the suspension/handling as well as get my desired look. "4 + inches all the way around, no rake"

Let me know what has worked for you guys that will improve handling and suspension as well as getting as close to the "slammed" look as possible.
dromano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: Suspension Advice

Welcome!!! You need pics(thought I would get that out of the way).
You can search the forums for pics of different drops but to start 2 1/2 front-4 in rear is usually what gets one level.You can go lower but about 5-6 in in the rear,you will need a c-notch and probably an adjustable panhard bar..You're looking at about $250 for drop spindles and about $130 a pair for drop springs.So you need to determine what amount of drop you want.Keep in mind that a static drop will keep you from hauling very much weight.Also different tires/wheel combos will cause interference with some amounts of drop.Just things to keep in mind while planning.The $1200 should do it easily if you don't need to replace much in the suspension,that's without new tires/wheels.
Post some pics cause they're gonna hound you for them.Ask when you find a look you like,most on here will be glad to share what they did to get the look.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Check out www.earlyclassic.com. They have pix of different heights on different vehicles. Their customer service is outstanding. Stan and his crew are good to offer advice that will benefit the customer, or potential customer, as it was in my case. I spoke with them about 2 years before I ever bought anything from them.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #4
dromano

Old 10-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
dromano

There she is! Thanks for the comments. I'm excited to get her done.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I have a 2.5/4.0 drop on my short fleet. After having it done for a while (2001), I'm thinking another inch out of the altitude would be okay. That would mean a 3.5/5.0 drop. I already have the rear shock mount relocators and the adjustable track bar. Since my truck is blown completely apart, now would be the perfect time to drop it...when I put it back together.

I don't know what the streets are like where you live, or if that matters to you. But where I live, there are frequent dips at intersections for rain water to flow, and that means frequent sites for the front bumper to drag if you're not careful. I took the hitch receiver off and that was another item that drug at times. So, consider these things as you ponder your plan. The price for the lowered springs is the same as for stock height springs.....but, to decide later would be to waste that money and the labor...and your labor is valuable, too.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote