The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
savatreatabvr

Big Block Weak Valve Springs? How To Tell...

1st question, I'm guessing there's a spring compression gauge tool thing to check valves springs but are weak springs that critical to the performance on a BB? 2nd question, how can I check to see if my camshaft has worn/flat lobes while still in the engine?

savatreatabvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
INSIDIOUS '86

Re: Big Block Weak Valve Springs? How To Tell...

You have to take the spring out and put it in a testing tool to test open and close pressures.

As for telling if you cam is flat run the engine if the valve covers are off and look at the rockers. If a lobeis wiped it will not move or hardly move the rocker. This will be easy to tell and will usually feel like a cylinder is dead
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
raceman6135
Dino burner

Moroso makes an on-head valve spring tester. Note that it can only test the seat pressure of a spring, and not the open pressure.

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/catego...?catcode=27105
raceman6135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
SSC's76
No No

what symptoms do you have? older bbc engines like to eat timing chains and cam lobes assuming both parts are stock I haven't seen one with worn springs not to say its not possible. is there any ticking? if you pull the valve covers off are any of the rocker arm nuts screwed down further then the other ones? if you have a friend crank over the engine pull dizzy power wire see if the rocker arms have the same amount of movement up and down. other then that may want to have a shop check and or rebuild the heads.

Posted from 67-72chevytrucks.com App for Android
Gen VI 454, Muncie HD 3 speed With Modified OE Hurst Shifter, 3.73 12 bolt, GMPP HO roller cam, Hooker headers, Performer intake with modified Q-jet, Accel distributor. Best 1/4 12.3 @108. Funnest run 19.84 @88 full 1/4 mile burn out.
1997 K1500 ext cab 5.7 stock except muffler
SSC's76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
savatreatabvr

There's no ticking but when I first bought the truck the previous owner had several rocker arm nuts way to tight and one kept loosening up! I did a running valve adjustment and adjusted them all back to normal and it ran fine, I just don't remember if the push rods were spinning or not! The one that loosens up will tighten but I have to crank it down a little bit more than the others to get it to stay, and that's with Loctite! I've watched the rocker arms go up and down and they seemed to all move the same but that was running, not cranking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSC's76 View Post
what symptoms do you have? older bbc engines like to eat timing chains and cam lobes assuming both parts are stock I haven't seen one with worn springs not to say its not possible. is there any ticking? if you pull the valve covers off are any of the rocker arm nuts screwed down further then the other ones? if you have a friend crank over the engine pull dizzy power wire see if the rocker arms have the same amount of movement up and down. other then that may want to have a shop check and or rebuild the heads.

Posted from 67-72chevytrucks.com App for Android
savatreatabvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
Desert1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by savatreatabvr View Post
There's no ticking but when I first bought the truck the previous owner had several rocker arm nuts way to tight and one kept loosening up! I did a running valve adjustment and adjusted them all back to normal and it ran fine, I just don't remember if the push rods were spinning or not! The one that loosens up will tighten but I have to crank it down a little bit more than the others to get it to stay, and that's with Loctite! I've watched the rocker arms go up and down and they seemed to all move the same but that was running, not cranking!
Doesn't sound like weak springs, but maybe the nuts are just worn (Happens on older engines) another problem on small and big block engines is the stud itself can start to pull out of the head. Unless they are screw in studs its hard to check while the heads are assembled.

Desert
Desert1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #7
raceman6135
Dino burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert1957 View Post
another problem on small and big block engines is the stud itself can start to pull out of the head.
Desert
Big block Chevrolets have screw-in rocker arm studs from the factory.

OP, purchase some new adjusting nuts from the dealer or aftermarket and try those. Or, pinch your existing ones as that is how the factory keeps them from backing off.
raceman6135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #8
billnorman

One must run special oil, and not the newer oils in a flat tappet cam engine nowadays. The only one I know of is Shell Rotella, it's inexpensive and easily available, still has the necessary zinc additives.
billnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #9
Desert1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceman6135 View Post
Big block Chevrolets have screw-in rocker arm studs from the factory.

OP, purchase some new adjusting nuts from the dealer or aftermarket and try those. Or, pinch your existing ones as that is how the factory keeps them from backing off.
Not ALL big blocks had screw in studs , the early 60's engines didn't, OP did not say what heads were on his current combo. He has posted many threads on high mileage engine problems before.

Desert
Desert1957 is offline   Reply With Quote