The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2012, 01:20 AM   #1
woodscavenger

pulleys, brackets and water pumps, help

I am adding P/S to my 62. I have the donor gear and pump (Saginaw with attached reservior). My alternator is currently on the driver side. I have a short water pump. I have purchased new double groove crank and WP pulleys but cannot figure out how to mount the PS pump. I must be missing a bracket. I have searched the web and cannot get good info. One of the issues seems to be the short pump vs. long pump. It looks like it may be easier to switch to a long pump, put in a shorter fan spacer and convert everything. Any ideas?
Old 10-08-2012, 08:13 AM   #2
rbar

Re: pulleys, brackets and water pumps, help

I am assuming your talking small block. It seems easier to me to get brackets for long water pump. I went with "Alan Groves" brackets. It put the alternator down low and rigid, and mounted the power steering nice. I'm looking for the picture now, but I can't find it at this moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodscavenger View Post
I am adding P/S to my 62. I have the donor gear and pump (Saginaw with attached reservior). My alternator is currently on the driver side. I have a short water pump. I have purchased new double groove crank and WP pulleys but cannot figure out how to mount the PS pump. I must be missing a bracket. I have searched the web and cannot get good info. One of the issues seems to be the short pump vs. long pump. It looks like it may be easier to switch to a long pump, put in a shorter fan spacer and convert everything. Any ideas?
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 415hp/415tq 6speed
rbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
63burban4x4

I used all the stuff from the front of an original 283 on the low mileage 350 I found. short water pump, ram horn exhaust manifolds with the driver's side alternator bracket(s) and the power steering pump and brackets. I did have to slightly relieve the PS bracket to clear the larger 350 harmonic balancer. I'm hoping to mount future A/C on the pass side, using later, factory type brackets, since my 350 heads have mounting bolt holes.
Not great pics, sorry.
Attached Images

63burban4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
63burban
Chevy addict

You want to use power steering pump an bracket from a 67-72 Chevy truck, they mount the pump down low with one bracket that mounts to the two old style motor mount holes on the front of the block. If I remember right they were short water pumps.
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:55 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes that is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63burban View Post
You want to use power steering pump an bracket from a 67-72 Chevy truck, they mount the pump down low with one bracket that mounts to the two old style motor mount holes on the front of the block. If I remember right they were short water pumps.
All trucks '72 and earlier and passenger cars '68 and earlier had short water pumps, and consequently the power steering pump brackets you need. If you can not find an OEM bracket set, there are many sources for aftermarket brackets. Alan Grove makes very nice brackets, made in the USA. You can also find other brackets on ebay.

IMO it is more work and $$ to change over to a long water pump, if all you need is the PS pump brackets.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #6
woodscavenger

Looking harder at my truck last night I realize that even though I have a 71' block I appear to have the old-style engine mount that looks like a large horseshoe that bolts into those same mounting holes used on the P/S pump shown above, then it just has a small pad that bolt to the center of the crossmember. No frame mounted engine mounts. I looked at the side mount holes and one of them is partially blocked by the headers.

i remember when I got this project after dealing with a 50 Dodge that was a mess to modify I thought....woohoooo, small block chevy, this will be like playing with Legos.....unbolt here, bolt up here, order this, scrapyard that.......easy........GRRRRRRR... even the basic things are kicking my butt!
Old 10-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
padresag

Quote:
Looking harder at my truck last night I realize that even though I have a 71' block I appear to have the old-style engine mount that looks like a large horseshoe that bolts into those same mounting holes used on the P/S pump shown above, then it just has a small pad that bolt to the center of the crossmember. No frame mounted engine mounts. I looked at the side mount holes and one of them is partially blocked by the headers.

i remember when I got this project after dealing with a 50 Dodge that was a mess to modify I thought....woohoooo, small block chevy, this will be like playing with Legos.....unbolt here, bolt up here, order this, scrapyard that.......easy........GRRRRRRR... even the basic things are kicking my butt!
if you are going to upgrade to disc brake and upgrade your frt end, that may be the time to do it. here is a link that may help you sort it out. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=369663
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:37 AM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes that does complicate the situation. I did not realize your engine had the front motor mount. While it is not difficult to install the side motor mounts, it sounds as though your particular headers may complicate that.

I guess it depends on what your future plans are for the truck. If by chance you want to change to an auto trans, you will have to install the side motor mounts anyway to be able to do that.

This appears to be one of those small projects that turns into a much bigger project that planned.

Quote:

Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #9
63burban4x4

I guess I'm not familiar with the 62 engine mounting......mine's a 63 and was originally a 283. the rear part of the PS bracket bolts to the motor at the side motor mount, not seen in the pictures.
(the donor 283 parts were from a 64 full size car.)
63burban4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote