The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
armybyrd

Rear Main Seal?

My '83 stepside's 305 has an oil leak that drips down the starter-it happens for a few seconds right after I shut the engine off. I just changed the valve cover gaskets and I didnt feel anything by the intake manifold. Theres also sludge and oil around the heat shields around the exhaust manifolds though I checked and the valve cover gaskets arent leaking. Does this sound like a rear main seal leak? Again it drips down for a few secs after the engine is shut off.
armybyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Rear Main Seal?

It's not the rear main. You won't get oil on your starterfrom a rear main. Valve cover gaskets, back or front of intake gaskets. OIl leaks can originate at the front and run back before they appear too. Clean all the oil off the lip of the valve covers and then when you park check for oil around the lip again. Use some white gloves. Oil will show up easier.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
Ski-me

Quote:
Originally Posted by armybyrd View Post
My '83 stepside's 305 has an oil leak that drips down the starter-it happens for a few seconds right after I shut the engine off. I just changed the valve cover gaskets and I didnt feel anything by the intake manifold. Theres also sludge and oil around the heat shields around the exhaust manifolds though I checked and the valve cover gaskets arent leaking. Does this sound like a rear main seal leak? Again it drips down for a few secs after the engine is shut off.
Same story...different truck!

I've replaced my rear main, oil pan gasket and valve cover gaskets. I still get a drip on my starter too. Maybe intake is the next step but I think that would be more involved for me.

And now, my front axle seal is leaking down the tubes and getting my new ball joints all messy! Must be a CO thing!

89' K5 Blazer, 2.5" lift, 35" tires
04' GMC Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 8.1L
Ski-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
slugish
Slugish

Yea , My rear main 2 pc seal is leaking like a mutha

blowing oil all over everything from the flywheel dust cover back .

Should not be getting on the starter cause its in front of where rear mains leak from .

Clean your flywheel cover & then ck. to see if leak is coming fom the small hole in bottom of cover . If it is , then your seal is bad .

Very frustrated with mine > paid to have it replaced & is worse now .

anbody have any solutions !?
slugish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:41 AM   #5
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Here ya go: http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/drivetrain/rearseal.htm

Here is the key to a leak free oil pan.
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2072...4440533cXquOc]

I have no leaks on my ZZ4 anywhere. I redid the intake too. Corners and rear are notorious for leaks.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
armybyrd

whats the easiest way to go about this? remove the whole powertrain, engine or just tranny?
Im thinking I might as well just pull the engine and check all the seals while its out. About how long should it take to have the engine out by itself? Looks pretty simple.
armybyrd is offline   Reply With Quote