The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
joel.e

Soda Blaster

I told myself that I was going to get a soda blaster to work on my next project. Well, I have my next project but no soda blaster. Does anyone have any experience with them? I was looking at a dual purpose blaster like the ones from Eastwood or BadBoyBlasters where you can use both soda and abrasives.

Thanks for any info.
joel.e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Re: Soda Blaster

subscribed!

Forum Guidelines and Rules
Buying and Selling Code of Conduct
Become a Board Supporter!
Truck FAQ

Ellen... the boards artsy-fartsy, eclectic, truck-lovin' gal-member...
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
SevenOne

im interested too
SevenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
johnnyclack

Location: On the banks of the Clackamas River, Eagle CreeK Oregon

@ Work:

I have purchased soda blasters. They were used with a large compressor ( a trailer mounted IGR, seems like in the neighborhood of 185 CFM). The soda product we used is made by Arm & Hammer ( go figure) it’s primary function was/is to remove graffiti spray paint, for this application it worked well. The orignal paint used in these locations was a three part epoxy and tougher than the-hubs-of-hell, if the nozzle did move quick enough it would lift the paint-off down to the bear metal. They also make a soda with aluminum oxides added as an abrasive, I would used this product to remove paint/job.

Nice thing about soda blasting is that we got no headaches from DEA, we simply washed it down the drain, being a government agency we are constantly under the watchful eye of the public.

Not sure about the smaller units, but soda blasting is the way to go, as long as you enough CFM to push it.

Good Luck
js
johnnyclack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #5
joel.e

Well I bought one anyway. I ended up getting the bad boy blasters 270 model from Summit (shipping was cheaper). I bought some soda (Natrium 260) from Soda Blast of VA and gave it a shot. The blaster came with 4 nozzles (2, 2.5, 3, 3.5). I started with the 2.5 and cleaned up a couple wooden rocking chairs I need to paint. Then I moved to the truck. The 2.5 was slow going and I moved to the 3.5 at the expense of media and air. I don't think my compressor can keep up with the 3.5 but I didn't look at the gauge to verify. Today I went down to the 3 nozzle and I think this is the max I can run with my setup as it seemed consistent. I like the outcome of the soda blast as it is bare undisturbed metal but it isn't fast with the home setup. It would definitely be cheaper to have the pro's do it but this way I can get it done at my own pace plus I have another tool. I'll try to post some pics.

On the door the shiny part is with a DA and 80 grit and the right portion and top part of the door are with soda. On the fender the right half is with soda and the left half with DA 80 grit. The hood portion is soda.
Attached Images

Last edited by joel.e; 10-27-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #6
dlhenk

You definatly need a lot of CFM's to operate properly. I have a commercial unit powered by a 200 cfm compressor. You need to be sure to wash any exposed metal free completly. I spray all exposed material with a solution of white vinegar diluted with water. It neutrilizes the sodium. Be sure to flush all the cracks and crevises. that soda will build up in places you cant imagine.also be sure to scuff all bare metal so your etching primer will adhere.
68 suburban
71 442
67 Nova
67 Camaro
dlhenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #7
joel.e

I knew it left a film that needed to come off but never heard the vinegar trick. I'll need to give that a try. It definitely gets everywhere. I can't imagine a commercial grade unit working because when I use this little one it is like a small white dust cloud.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
johnnyclack

Location: On the banks of the Clackamas River, Eagle CreeK Oregon

Heavier blast media & more CFM
johnnyclack is offline   Reply With Quote