The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2012, 01:58 AM   #1
s_nova69

Longhorn brake upgrade

I love my longhorn but have been tossing around the idea of upgrading a few things starting with the brakes. It stops like it is new now but in the near future I plan to dd it and am worried about locking up on the freeway. If I jump on the brakes they just lock up and that can lead to a smashed truck. So I have been thinking of putting factory discs up front but putting in the new wilwood two piston calipers and some ebc yellow or green pads along with a hydro boost setup. I figure this upgrade will ultimately be a far superior setup for a minimal cost and stop waaaayyyy better than the existing setup.

So, do you feel this would deter in my trucks overall value? Of course it is not a highly detailed show original but it is unrestored with freshish paint. What do I plan to do with this truck? Drive it and use it forever and maybe give it to my son one day in 35 years. I know I have already answered my own questions, right? If u plan to keep it forever and use it a lot a brake upgrade is a no brainer. But it is mostly original and changing that is kinda disheartening. Although putting on a factory type brake from a newer truck is not that "custom". It is a 70 btw.

Let me know what ya think. This truck is also receiving a fresh 700r4 and new heads cam intake and exhaust with an engine compartment detail this winter.
Posted via Mobile Device
4wd '72 Suburban LT4 coming soon!!
s_nova69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:20 AM   #2
SS Tim

Re: Longhorn brake upgrade

I'd think just putting a set of 71-72 disc brakes would do it for you. A hydro boost if you are going to carry loads or tow a trailer might be a good idea. Adding aftermaket brakes seems like an expensive solution to a non-problem. If you can lock up the wheels, brake torque isn't your problem. Might consider adding in addition to the stock '72 disc/MC/prop valve setup a lever type adjustable rear prop valve when running empty. It would enable you to pretty much turn down the rears at will. Stock brakes are easy to fix on the road and that is a consideration on a DD. New rotors, calipers, hoses, bearings and quality pads will make a reliable "no sorting required" long lasting brake system. Stainless lines and flushing the system every year or two only help the long term.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Update it.The current trend I see is to update for driving.I've seen some very nice muscle cars updated with discs.They aren't mush fun if you can't drive them safely.On top of that,though these truck have great style and are popular,they're not concours class Vettes.Make it safe and fun to drive,then drive the wheels offa it!!!
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
s_nova69

Well thanks for the comments folks.

I guess my real question should be for those that have put in the b52 calipers. So if you have put them on and can discuss the braking difference then please chime in here and now.

It does not matter much but my stock setup is power drums and that is why they lock up easier.

I will do the disc swap and add the hydro boost as it seems a very good cheap upgrade for these trucks stopping power. I do plan to haul stuff around with it but mostly on a trailer ie cars trucks and a boat. After the brakes and engine upgrade are done I will probably build a 427" short block to put under the heads that are en route. That will make for a healthy little longhorn to cruise around.
4wd '72 Suburban LT4 coming soon!!
s_nova69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
1970 C10 MJW

i switched my lwb 70 c10 to disc in front kept the drums in back, went to the power brakes off a 71/72, 6 lug rotors, and 75ish caliper and wagner thermoquiet pads, the difference is night and day, i love the new setup, thinking of doing rear discs too, cuz i was so happy with the front, fyi the 75 caliper and pad is a single piston caliper i believe the pad number for wagner (federal mogul) is mx 52