The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
Redaddiction
LS1 Lover

Axle Relocation

Wanted some advice on a project I'm working on. I will be posting a build thread when I get further along so no worries.

Here is what I'm working on, I have a 2500hd regular cab long bed frame I'm stuffing under a 1970 suburban. I need to shorten the wheelbase by 5 inches for it to fit correctly.

My thought would be to move the axle forward by moving the shackles/hangers on the frame. Would this be possible? Any other advice?

Here is a picture of the front hanger, my concern is if I have to tilt it will it adversely affect the suspension?

Untitled by MarcusRyan, on Flickr

Any advice/ideas is greatly appreciated.

Marcus
Old 10-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
Redaddiction
LS1 Lover

Re: Axle Relocation

Here is my donor truck after a few hours of disassembly, Saturday I'm hoping to have the cab off and would like to begin stuffing this thing under my burb.

Untitled by MarcusRyan, on Flickr

Last edited by Redaddiction; 10-12-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Redaddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
in deep 72

My first thought, and may not be correct without doing some measuring or finding someone that has done it already.....Moving the spring hangers forward, I'm guessing one will move down the arch in the frame and the other up (raising one end and lowering the other). This may change the angle of the bottom of the spring where it sits on the axle, changing the pinion angle. Just trying to visualize it, I'm thinking that change will be negatively (tipping the pinion down). This could be fixed by relocating the perches on the axle or by adding wedge shims. Personally, I think I'd section the frame. Either way, good luck! Anything is possible with enough inginuity!

Going to follow this toppic. Curious what others think.
in deep 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
Redaddiction
LS1 Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by in deep 72 View Post
My first thought, and may not be correct without doing some measuring or finding someone that has done it already.....Moving the spring hangers forward, I'm guessing one will move down the arch in the frame and the other up (raising one end and lowering the other). This may change the angle of the bottom of the spring where it sits on the axle, changing the pinion angle. Just trying to visualize it, I'm thinking that change will be negatively (tipping the pinion down). This could be fixed by relocating the perches on the axle or by adding wedge shims. Personally, I think I'd section the frame. Either way, good luck! Anything is possible with enough inginuity!

Going to follow this toppic. Curious what others think.
Yes, that was my thought that I'd end up with a bad pinion angle, once I get it moved though I want to lift the whole truck up and then could have a shop set the pinion angle correctly for my lift to maximize u-joint lift.

I also was curious if moving the axle purchases forward on the springs, I'd like to avoid sectioning the frame mostly due to the frame kick up is an issue and at least right now it's far back enough to no interfere too much.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
Mike C

Move it forward and down so you wind up with the front 4" lower than where you started. Do a 4" shackle reversal in the back, and you have a built in lift without altering pinion angle. Now lift front 4" to match.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote