The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

First day of reassembly....

Today, my youngest son and I began the reassembly of the chassis. It was completely apart. Sandblasted, painted and now, starting the reassembly. It has been a while since I was excited about it. I've lost interest on several occasions and threatened to sell it, piece by piece. Luckily, I didn't.

So, today, we reinstalled the lower control arms after cleaning/painting the attaching parts.

He pulled the axles so I could get the axle seals. The seals bore a GM part number! I think this truck has original stuff on it and that the mileage is actually just 113K! Everything was in such good condition, once we took it apart and cleaned it up. There's just too much on the chassis for me to believe it is anything other than that. I don't think a truck with 213K would still have OEM seals/bearings in the rear end. I may be wrong, but that's my opinion.

Anyway....we're back!

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
GMCJOE

Re: First day of reassembly....

GM's axle seals hold up pretty damn good IMO. And it depends on how you drive and what you haul. I have pulled a several axles from various GM trucks of all years that probably had between 150-250k miles on them, went to reseal them and pulled the factory seals and bearings out before I sold them. I had to pull them on my Nissan at 92k, never done them on any of my chevy's or gmc's that I put tons of miles. I asked the parts guy at the dealership why they fail so early and is a common problem. He told me,"If you drove a Chevrolet you would have replaced them at around 50k." I paid for my parts and walked out.

Glad you got your interest back. Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your all's work.

1969 GMC SWB-350 SBC 700R4
2013 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Longhorn Edition-6.7 PPEI EFI Live CSP5 5” ProFlo Exhaust
GMCJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
turp mcspray

It feels REALLY good, to finally bolt something to the painted chassis. It is at that point that you realize you are on the road back!
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #4
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Had to buy a new tool....

When Joe (youngest son) used my seal puller, he went a touch too far and wrecked the cage on the outer axle bearing. So, a trip to NAPA to get a puller, a new bearing and a die to dress the threads on the u-bolts that hold the lower control arm to the crossmember.

Nothing wrong with new tools, is there? Probably should have bought one about 30 years ago....just didn't need it until today. At least all the parts are contained in one lockable box.

Next tasks are to install the upper control arms, springs, spindles and continue with the tie rods, center link, pitman and idler arm, as well as the steering box. After that, the rear end gets the attention, with the brake getting all the attention and money.

Yep, the money pit is back!

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:50 PM   #5
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Always good to have a nice deep hole in the garage/shop to toss money into!

I love my money pit too...

Welcome back mang!

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote