The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2012, 09:20 AM   #1
BrianPlaster

Door Hinge pin rebuild HeLp

My poor ole 72' doors are sagging and need help. I purchased a set of new pins from BroThers and took the doors off . I sprayed the current hinges in some penetrating oil and now it sits ...

How do you remove the pins ?

Also what's the normal issue with gas gauges stop working / The float ?? seems to be a common issue
BrianPlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: Door Hinge pin rebuild HeLp

Float is a good thing to check on the fuel gage.Also the printed circuit board on the back of the cluster can build up corrosion.You can pull the cluster and clean the contact points on it with an art eraser,be gentle it's fragile.Now every truck of this era I have owned has had a bad ground that caused the fuel gage not to work.
I don't know wht to tell you about the door hinge.I need to do mine also but haven't jumped in.Cruise nights aren't over for the year and I don't want to have it torn down while I can still enjoy it.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
Sammy

BFH and a drive pin type punch hinge secured well in a vise. May even have to cut the pin into if it is mushroomed at the bottom. Much easier to find a different set if your set of hinges are toasted that bad. Seen new ones on E Bay reasonably priced and elsewhere.

Fuel tank problems plaque most of our trucks. 65% of the time it is the feed wire running from float to the fuse box under the sill worn into. Next thing to check after access to the float with it removed is using a multimeter to determine if through out it's range it is provided correct Ohms by moving the float arm up n down. Then a proper ground on the tank. If all these are good with no indications of problems you need to investigate the dash panel. There are a few troubleshooting ideas posted that can give you some detailed areas to look at. Good luck.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
JimKshortstep4x4

If you heat the hinge up where the pin goes through you will be able to drive the pins out. Without heating the hinges the pins will usually mushroom to the point where they cannot be driven out.

Jim
1971 Shortbox step side 4x4, 350 sbc, 3:07 rear end
1965 Impala SS 400 sbc, Muncie rock crusher
1966 Impala SS 396 bbc, TH 400
1969 El Camino, 350 sbc, TH 350
1971 Snowplow built on a Blazer frame
1972 GMC Short bed, stepside, TH 400, 427 BBC
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote