The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Just bought a '69. Help me identify what. It has a couple unusual additions

This is a '69 long bed, with a newly rebuilt 350 V8. Dual headers and new exhaust/tires. Runs really well. Talked the guy down to $1,600.

There are a couple things on it that are a little unusual. I could use your help uncovering the mystery. First, is the spare gas tank in the bed. Is this a chevy installed part, or aftermarket? Second, what is the "U. 9,000" writing on the side? I've seen this on some other brands of trucks and such, but not on this particular truck. Where do you figure this came from? Does it mean this may have been a commercial truck at some point? Maybe an oil drilling rig truck or something?

Here are a few pictures

Last edited by Mister-B; 10-14-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
SS Tim

Re: Just bought a '69. Help me identify what. It has a couple unusual additions

There was a factory aux tank option. In '69 I don't think there was a factory aux fuel tank. In '70 there was the rear mounted N18. Then in '72 there was the forward mount NL2 with a filler in the bed that look like the cab filler. There were many aftermarket tanks with both bedside or wheelwell fillers that were mounted above (sometimes) but mostly below the bedfloor.

Suspect that the "U9,000" is either the trucks licensed gross weight class. Is it a C20 or C30. These were often posted on the vehicles back in the day.

Last edited by SS Tim; 10-14-2012 at 05:34 PM.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
There was a factory aux tank option. In '69 I don't think there was a factory aux fuel tank. In '70 there was the rear mounted N18. Then in '72 there was the forward mount NL2 with a filler in the bed that look like the cab filler. There were many aftermarket tanks with both bedside or wheelwell fillers that were mounted above (sometimes) but mostly below the bedfloor.

Suspect that the "U9,000" is either the trucks licensed gross weight class. Is it a C20 or C30. These were often posted on the vehicles back in the day.
I think I fixed the pictures. Please take a look again, and let me know what you think. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
SS Tim

OK I thought my computer just wasn't writing the pictures. Anyway that is an aftermarket tank. The in bed tanks were most often seen in the 67-68 trucks then the underbody became the popular mod.. They were often installed on trucks with campers as this location was outside storage for most campers. Doubt it was a commercial truck as that does look like a typical gross weight rating number. As I said they were common at one time. They were generally painted on by the owner or dealer, sometimes decals were seen. Later the tacky peel and sticks would show up. Over the years the regulations changed and the requirement went away for most private use pickups.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
OK I thought my computer just wasn't writing the pictures. Anyway that is an aftermarket tank. The in bed tanks were most often seen in the 67-68 trucks then the underbody became the popular mod.. They were often installed on trucks with campers as this location was outside storage for most campers. Doubt it was a commercial truck as that does look like a typical gross weight rating number. As I said they were common at one time. They were generally painted on by the owner or dealer, sometimes decals were seen. Later the tacky peel and sticks would show up. Over the years the regulations changed and the requirement went away for most private use pickups.
Ok, thanks. I think I'll get rid of the tank then if it isn't factory. Besides, it has been sitting without a cap on it, so it would take a lot of work to get it to where it would be suitable to hold fuel.

As for the 9,000 number, it is definitely not painted. Must be individual decal letters. I kinda like it, but at the same time I don't know that I like it being so prominent right smack in the center if the door. Think I'll get rid of it when I do body work, and might have it painted smaller on the lower panel to pay homage.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Oh, and by the way it's a C20
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #7
SS Tim

Like I said the U 9,000 is probably more of a weight classification and not the actual gross weight of your truck. In fact yours is going to factory max out at 7500 with an "as built" likely lower at 6200 or 7200 (check the door plate).
Putting it back on the truck would be a nice touch as long as you don't have to pay a weight fee for it.
Down along the bottom of the lower bedside molding just behind the cab has always been my prefered location. Some people like them on the fender under the series badge in front of the door.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #8
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Suspect that the "U9,000" is either the trucks licensed gross weight class..... These were often posted on the vehicles back in the day.
Probably stood for "Under 9000 pounds" meaning gross weight better not exceed that number 'cause that's what it was licensed for....

Oh and x2 on the tank being aftermarket, not that SS Tim's info needs verification from me.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #9
70cst

Interesting thread

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #10
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Probably stood for "Under 9000 pounds" meaning gross weight better not exceed that number 'cause that's what it was licensed for....

Oh and x2 on the tank being aftermarket, not that SS Tim's info needs verification from me.
Thanks for the support. Sometimes I get those "WTF did I write" moments. So keep me honest. I try to be able to document anything at least two ways. Can't always but I try. So here are pictures of aftermarket in bed tanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by SS Tim; 10-14-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:29 PM   #11
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post
Interesting thread
OK my ears perked up. Since you se a LOT of threads, what is new to you if I may ask?
Old 10-14-2012, 10:34 PM   #12
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

The dent in the grill below the bowtie on the hood is certainly not factory! It is aftermarket.
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:21 PM   #13
weever82

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
The dent in the grill below the bowtie on the hood is certainly not factory! It is aftermarket.

bahaha! I have always wanted to use that smiley and never had a chance until now. lol

Oh... but the bowtie is factory.

Weev-

Life's tough...... It's even tougher when your stupid - John Wayne
weever82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:22 PM   #14
GOPAPA

I remember all the trucks in Washington had to have the weight rate on the trucks and of course the more the weight rating the more the license fees..dont see hardly any of them on road anymore .. I live on the boarder of Oregon /Washington is how I know.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #15
dan42

A lot of states had those. I think Iowa and Minnesota had them for a long time. We never had them in California, at least for pickups.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote