The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Do you use premium unleaded in your 350?

Just bought a '69 with a rebuilt 350 V8. The tank was almost empty, so I put 91 octane premium unleaded in. Now, it seems like I'm running a bit lean. It's a little harder to start than usual, but I'm not sure if it could also be due to the colder weather.

Should I run premium or not? Should I adjust anything since it is getting colder?
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
PAWS 72

Re: Do you use premium unleaded in your 350?

I don't know how it is there but we have ethanol in our gas here so I do run premium in mine.Plus my nissan and toyota.Seems mine runs better and gas mileage sucks any way.
PAWS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
Square_78

I run 94 in mine. Seems to start easier when cold, and also smoother at full throttle

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:52 PM   #4
GMCJOE

You need to run the gas with out the ethanol crap in it. It's not the fact you are running a higher octane, as in that 10% or whatever it is ethanol doesn't take the heat from the intake all that well. Mine runs great off it, but if it sits for a few after I shut it down hot it takes a few to get it cranked back up. The ethanol blended fuels like to boil in the carbs a lot quicker than the non blended. Especially if you running a damn Edelbrock 600. There is a phenolic spacer you can run, insulate the fuel lines, and such... That should help. It's the next step on mine engine wise when I swap my cam and carb out.

On adjustments, you should adjust your carb seasonal for best performance. I could be the above reason or both. Hell, I could just be talking out my butt. But most of this research has came from my problems with starting after hot and related to my 1406 Edelbrock.

1969 GMC SWB-350 SBC 700R4
2013 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Longhorn Edition-6.7 PPEI EFI Live CSP5 5” ProFlo Exhaust
GMCJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Octane determines the rate of combustion. The higher the rating the slower the combustion. Unless your engine is specifically designed for higher octane there really is no need to use it. Colder weather will cause the harder to start issues but you could play with the timing a bit to see if it helps, otherwise, I'd go back to what you know the engine likes.

Don't forget that a lot of companies change their blending of fuel depending on the time of year so you may also be experiencing that. You may also be able to adjust the timing and idle air mixture to compensate .
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #6
Hubscrub
Cruzin

all my vehicles run good on 87 it just depends on how it's built, probably help if gas was actually gas too lol

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:35 AM   #7
Square_78

i dont even think you can buy unblended gas where i live. It all says 10% ethanol.

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:31 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

I run regular in mine. Don't notice any difference with hi-test,except it costs more. All gas around here is ethanol. If you live where there's a choice,enjoy it while you can. I don't expect it to last. It's just like when unleaded became the only choice. There were areas that still offered a choice,but only for a while.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:53 AM   #9
cdowns

have you done anything to maintain the engine like change the fuel filter or air filter latly// most lo compression loperformance engines there is no advantage to running hitest other than putting more money in the pockets of the gasstation owners
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:59 AM   #10
Fldawg

Had a chemist come to our shop the other day to have a talk about today's fuels we are running and he said something very interesting if your not running over 10.5 to 1 compression on your engine, your wasting money running anything over 87 octane, so i tried it and found no differance with gas milege or performance, but i do run the non ethenol gas now it
Fldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:18 AM   #11
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fldawg View Post
Had a chemist come to our shop the other day to have a talk about today's fuels we are running and he said something very interesting if your not running over 10.5 to 1 compression on your engine, your wasting money running anything over 87 octane, so i tried it and found no differance with gas milege or performance, but i do run the non ethenol gas now it
Hey Dawg, sent you a PM. Who carrys non-ethenol in FL?
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #12
GMCJOE

It is becoming more hard to find fuel that isn't blended with the 10%, that is for sure. Still a few around the town I am right now.

2013 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Longhorn Edition-6.7 PPEI EFI Live CSP5 5” ProFlo Exhaust
Old 10-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #13
biggestjohn

As others have noted, higher octane does not improve mileage.
I'm pretty sure the EPA mandates 10% ethanol, and they are pushing for 15%.
I know around Indiana, they also used to add 15% Liquefied Natural Gas to increase the octane, but I can't say for sure that they still do this.

.......every time I screw up, I learn something. Needless to say, I'm learning all the time............
biggestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #14
Fldawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoKeene View Post
Hey Dawg, sent you a PM. Who carrys non-ethenol in FL?
we have about 6 stations here in panama city that carry non ethenol fuel, plus my friends parts house handles the racing fuel in town, but that's just for special occasions
Old 10-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #15
DT1

Here's an interesting read on Octane.
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...tos/aut12.shtm
DT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #16
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fldawg View Post
we have about 6 stations here in panama city that carry non ethenol fuel, plus my friends parts house handles the racing fuel in town, but that's just for special occasions
I do have a drum of Union 76 in the shop
Posted via Mobile Device
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #17
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Cat pee is cat pee.The ethanol just makes it worse.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #18
blackdawn

lol wow i think this thread got off track. for a stock 350 87 should be fine, ethonal or not (forced to run it in cali anyway) you just need to have your carb adjusted. at the beginning of winter and at the beginning of summer as the temps change is when you have to do it.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #19
domeier

Octane rating does not determine rate of combustion, it only determines how much pressure the fuel can be subjected to before it self ignites, (detonates.) Higher octane fuel is necessary in high compression engines only to prevent pre-ignition of the mixture. It won't provide any benefit to a low compression (8.5-9/1) stock 350.
domeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #20
69GWC

Like was said early, your compression. Ratio will decide which octane you need to run and iff its not over 10.1 you are more then likely. Fine on 87 oct.
Posted via Mobile Device
69GWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:25 PM   #21
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Where I live, there's one station that sells unblended gasoline. It is done to cater to the boating community. At the same time, it is better for outdoor equipment (mowers, chain saws, etc.) to run ethanol-free gasoline. This is the first season that I have done that. It has made a big difference. The ethanol attracts moisture, contaminating the gas in that equipment with water. Here's another: the ethanol attracted squirrels to the gas tank on my Honda mower...squirrels chewed a hole in the tank to get to the fuel. Since I went to unblended gas, no more problems with squirrels.

Now, for the issue: the first '69 C-10 I bought was back in '99. It had a hot little 350, that also had a TH350 behind it. That truck would bark the tires everytime it made the 1-2 shift, if you had the least amount of foot in the throttle. It would run on, when you shut off the ignition. It took premium gas to keep it from running-on, or from pinging under acceleration. On the other hand, my '69 (bought 6 months later), also equipped with a 350/TH400 would run fine on regular. This was before ethanol got to be the big issue it is today.

I find that I get better fuel economy when using the unblended gas, i.e., no ethanol. Ethanol may be good fodder for the politcos, but using corn to make ethanol, takes it out of the food chain to feed the meat and dairy industry, driving up the cost of feed that they do use. I realize that this is an entirely new topic, but that's my opinion. I know corn farmers are benefiting from ethanol, but we pay for it.

If your engine runs-on without premium, and it shuts down without dieseling when you use premium, then you should consider your options. If it doesn't ping, or run-on when you run ethanol, then that is your answer.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #22
GMCJOE

lol... I would think you would have had no more squirrel problems after they got a sip of the fuel. That gave me a chuck.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #23
Fldawg

i'm gonna end this tread by saying this:

PUT CORN ON MY TABLE NOT IN MY GASTANK
Old 10-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #24
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Well the thread didn't end just yet. I have always run 87 octane in my virtually stock 350, with almost no issues.

I found that when hauling a cord of green hardwood up the mountain in warmer weather, the truck had spark knock (detonation, pinging, pre-ignition, whatever you like to call it). With three tanks, I just made sure I had premium fuel in one of them. A quick switch before heading up the mountain, no more spark knock.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #25
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by domeier View Post
Octane rating does not determine rate of combustion, it only determines how much pressure the fuel can be subjected to before it self ignites, (detonates.) Higher octane fuel is necessary in high compression engines only to prevent pre-ignition of the mixture. It won't provide any benefit to a low compression (8.5-9/1) stock 350.
That is exactly correct. In fact, lower octane fuels provide higher mpgs. In simple terms there is more BTUs/gallon in a gallon of 85 octane than there is in 97. I have experienced this first hand when going from 85 octane in Wyoming and Colorado and then into the 87+ that we have in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Well the thread didn't end just yet. I have always run 87 octane in my virtually stock 350, with almost no issues.

I found that when hauling a cord of green hardwood up the mountain in warmer weather, the truck had spark knock (detonation, pinging, pre-ignition, whatever you like to call it). With three tanks, I just made sure I had premium fuel in one of them. A quick switch before heading up the mountain, no more spark knock.
That sounds like you might need to adjust your timing a bit.

Check it out www.lsdyno.com
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote