The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
kpdalton

New guy help

So I'm in the market for a 49-53 truck and have been looking online for awhile. I have a good feel for where prices are at and what to expect. I've determined I want a truck where the frame/suspension is already done. I can deal with motor, interior, paint, body, etc. This way I can make it the way I want.

So I come across a restored 1949 5 window that appears very clean. I didn't see any rust, its been painted (although I would repaint), 67-68 camaro front and rear end (suspension) with leaf springs whch I thought was odd but i guess thats common back then. All new chrome and windows and frame is solid.

It needs interior, its stock height, runs like crap but has a 327 automatic in it. Battery dead, seems like it overheats, leaks oil and when I drove it it seemed like I was drivng a tractor. First time I drove an old truck. Stiff suspension, clanky, etc. So engine needs a lot of work.

As far as looks go, it seems like its a $15k-16K truck easily.
I can get it for $10k. It "looks" really clean.

So my question, I know its old but i want a truck to drive like a newer car. Am I being unrealistic? I want it to feel solid, not like a tractor. I want something that will be fast. I am thinking I will find a $40k already done truck and test drive it to see what it feels like, what a truck 'could be'.

Any input I'd appreciate. I can put up a picture if it helps.
kpdalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
kpdalton

Re: New guy help

Here's truck. Clean! Engine may be done or need rebuilt.
NO interior aside from a bench seat. No rubber in doors, basically stripped inside.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
Speedbumpauto

If the clip was done right and doesn't have worn ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. there's no reason it shouldn't drive great. Lots of guys neglect to spend the money to rebuild the clip in terms of suspension and steering and don't go to the trouble of getting the correct coil spring for the project. They also neglect power steering which I consider a must. If you're a reasonable wrench, you can fix all of this pretty reasonably in terms of dollars. Also, not having door/window rubber or any sound deadening/insulation in the cab will make any ride feel like a tractor. You have to look past the stuff that's fixable if you get it at the right price.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
kpdalton

Yeah I realized that since the cab was just all metal, huge steering wheel, rattling engine,etc thats what gave the tractor impression. lol
But I guess I'm just hesitant on it because I don't know if I'm expecting too much. Of course I know it won't drive like my tahoe. To be honest I possibly got a little overwhelmed at what work this would need...it was the first truck I drove.

I just hope I'm not passing up on a good deal. For $10k, bottom end done, body straight and no rust and a ton of new parts. Needs interior, engine work, airbags, rims/tires and whatever else to make it right. Maybe another $10k into it or more.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Wow that thing is super clean. And, I see a reflection of a 69 C-10 in the door. Did the guy selling it do the work himself? I guess you can look at the 69 also to see what kind of work he does.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
kpdalton

No, apparently a 60 yrold retired guy restored this and at some point stopped. This new owner bought it thinking he would finish it but lost interest I guess.

It is super clean which is why I initially wanted to grab this thing up but after drivng it and seeing the engine issues it scared me away. I can't even find anywhere near this clean of truck for $10k. Then again, I would repaint it and change a lot of stuff anyway.

I guess I would sort of looking for advice on this with my post.
My goal would be this (although not a show truck, a daily driver)

http://www.classictrucks.com/feature.../photo_13.html
Old 10-17-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
Speedbumpauto

You're being realistic, I think. I'm at about the same point on mine as that truck is, maybe a little less, and I guarantee there's lots to be done and money to be spent.....and I already have a tilt wheel/power steer with the Firebird clip. But I do expect it to drive like your Tahoe. I kinda like the paint and wheel combo. If you could leave that alone, put a 4 link/coil over in the rear, rebuild the front suspension/steering and add P/S with a nice column and add a sweet 350, since the mods for the V-8 are all done, and of course do the interior, you could have a pretty sweet truck for under $20K... and with the work you did, It would be YOUR truck. Just thinkin... offer him $8K to give you a start on the suspension, etc. The market is pretty soft for unfinished projects. Cash talks!
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:26 PM   #8
kpdalton

Yeah I hear ya.
I'm trying to be smart about it like everyone and I have the option to buy one 80%, 50% or not done at all and I build it from the ground up. But set aside the time,blood, sweat and tears in doing this, it makes more sense to buy one 80% done just for the savings alone. I can pick up one for around $18k that is real close to the way I would want it. I could add A/C to it and just enjoy truck as it sits. Or I could buy a junker for $5k and dump $13k into it but I add things up and $13k goes quick !!

I think with the one above, I could put $10k into it quickly and it still wouldn't be where i want it to be. Guess I'm answering my own question here as I type this out.

Ok, well I'm glad i found this website. I've already learned so much and its really wasting a lot of my time reading about everyones projects (in a good way)!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #9
meter swinger

I would pass on it.
To me by the way you talk it dosent sound like what your looking for. Dont get me wrong it looks like a nice truck but, If you have a 40k budget dont settle for anything less. If modern handling and suspension is a priority I would look for trucks with well respected suspension set ups like, no limit, scotts hot rods, total cost involved, etc. You can research suspensions on here till yor brain is numb.
I have a friend who buys cars "finished"(i hate him for it ) and does pretty good for the money spent.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:31 AM   #10
solidaxel

You have a PM
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote