The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
MDc10

Power steering pump and hose problems

I recently put a new motor in my 86 c10, was a 305, I put in a 350 crate motor in. I replaced everything but the power steering pump. So I go to change the pump and the one the parts store gives me will not fit on my bracket, the fill neck hits the bracket. Take it back and they are all that way for 86, get one that fits from a 78 c10, and now the hoses are different on the ends. I've been through about 10 hoses and its still wrong. So I take the new pump off and take it back and get my old one back. Has anyone else been through this crap? If so what was the outcome? Do I buy a new pump, bracket and hoses in a kit or what. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Posted via Mobile Device
MDc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
THE "10" SILVERADO

Re: Power steering pump and hose problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDc10 View Post
I recently put a new motor in my 86 c10, was a 305, I put in a 350 crate motor in. I replaced everything but the power steering pump. So I go to change the pump and the one the parts store gives me will not fit on my bracket, the fill neck hits the bracket. Take it back and they are all that way for 86, get one that fits from a 78 c10, and now the hoses are different on the ends. I've been through about 10 hoses and its still wrong. So I take the new pump off and take it back and get my old one back. Has anyone else been through this crap? If so what was the outcome? Do I buy a new pump, bracket and hoses in a kit or what. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't know when but the later steering boxes had metric fittings while the older pumps had the standard fittings. Is this your problem?
Old 10-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
77c10

i have a LT1 from a 95 Camaro in my 77. I had to use the Camaro accessory bracket and accessories. That being said, all of my accessories are on the passenger side of the truck. What I had to end up doing was to buy a pressure hose that fit my truck and a pressure hose to fit the 95 camaro. I cut the end off the camaro hose that goes into the pump and the end off the c10 hose that fits the gear box. I took those ends to my local rubber and gasket house and they brazed my ends onto fittings and made me a hose. Seems like alot of work but it was the only solution I could come up with.
77 C10, 6.0LS/4L80E, 3:73 12 bolt. Boss 338's 20" x 10" w/ 285/50/20 rear. 20" x 8.5" w/ 245/40/20 front. Vintage Air. Full Autometer gauges recessed in factory bezel (Thanks bigblock73!) Gm Storm Grey Metallic paint

"Cool ain't ever cheap and cheap ain't ever cool"
77c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
MDc10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77c10 View Post
i have a LT1 from a 95 Camaro in my 77. I had to use the Camaro accessory bracket and accessories. That being said, all of my accessories are on the passenger side of the truck. What I had to end up doing was to buy a pressure hose that fit my truck and a pressure hose to fit the 95 camaro. I cut the end off the camaro hose that goes into the pump and the end off the c10 hose that fits the gear box. I took those ends to my local rubber and gasket house and they brazed my ends onto fittings and made me a hose. Seems like alot of work but it was the only solution I could come up with.
That sounds like what im gona have to do. The old hose fittings are inverted flare (I think that's what the call them) and the new pump has a flare fitting. But the hoses they make are either one or the other, I can't find a hose with 1 flare fitting and 1 inverted flare. I have to have the inverted for the gear box. What did that hose cost you?
Posted via Mobile Device
MDc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
77c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDc10 View Post
That sounds like what im gona have to do. The old hose fittings are inverted flare (I think that's what the call them) and the new pump has a flare fitting. But the hoses they make are either one or the other, I can't find a hose with 1 flare fitting and 1 inverted flare. I have to have the inverted for the gear box. What did that hose cost you?
Posted via Mobile Device
With buying the two extra hoses and having the other one made I believe it was around $80.00 or so.
77 C10, 6.0LS/4L80E, 3:73 12 bolt. Boss 338's 20" x 10" w/ 285/50/20 rear. 20" x 8.5" w/ 245/40/20 front. Vintage Air. Full Autometer gauges recessed in factory bezel (Thanks bigblock73!) Gm Storm Grey Metallic paint

"Cool ain't ever cheap and cheap ain't ever cool"
77c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

if you need too the return side can be cut and clamped (adapted?) for a quick fix
not the pressure tho
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
ray_mcavoy

A quick and easy way to get around the inverted flare vs. O-ring difference on the PS pressure hose is to simply swap out the pressure port fitting on the back of the pump for one that matches your existing hose end.

As far as I know, the threads inside the PS pump are all the same so you can remove a metric O-ring fitting from a newer pump and replace it with an inverted flare fitting from an older pump or vice versa.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy View Post
A quick and easy way to get around the inverted flare vs. O-ring difference on the PS pressure hose is to simply swap out the pressure port fitting on the back of the pump for one that matches your existing hose end.

As far as I know, the threads inside the PS pump are all the same so you can remove a metric O-ring fitting from a newer pump and replace it with an inverted flare fitting from an older pump or vice versa.
X2. Yes they will swap.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote