The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2012, 10:21 PM   #1
slam59

Scrored today at the junk yard!

Today I went to the local junk yard to get a few things for my 74 C10, and glad my timing was right. The previous owner had taken off the fan blade and fan clutch, and shroud as well, so he could install 2 fans to keep radiator cool. The fans were very cheap ones, and he had them hooked up to a toggle switch. I wanted them off so I could put it back to the factory way of the fan blade and fan clutch, as well as the shroud. I get there and right away I see a 74 front end and walk over to it. It loooks like it was just recently there as it had not been gone thru at all. Plus I could not believe it was there cause this thing was perfectly straight with no dents and a very nice white paint job. It was the work type with the locking steel doors on both sides. Only thing missing under the hood so far was the carb. I see the shroud and it is in perfect shape as well as the fan blade and clutch. So we begin to taking them off and then I look down and see the grill.

This grill was totally intact! Just dusty and a bit faded color wise. No cracks,chips or anything. All fasteners and clips holding it on all there. Imidiately we take it off. Been wanting a stock factory grille but cant find any in good shape. I see on my chevy sites i go to and a NOS one goes for $450 yikes! So I go pay for these 3 things and spent a total of $86. Just gotta clean and paint the grill and order new 350 badge and bowtie and it will look sweet. Pics below. I see online on the site I use to buy chevy parts and the 7 blade fan goes for $94,the clutch goes for $57 and the shroud goes for $148. What a score! What color you guys think will look better, silver like my truck or black making the emblems stand out? Heres a pic as well of the front end now how it looks.

Grill

Fan and clutch

shroud

1977 3/4 ton Silverado 454

1999 2 door 2wd Tahoe
slam59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
Bow Tie Scottie

Re: Scrored today at the junk yard!

Did you happen to see a cruise control throttle linkage while you were there?

86 Chevy Scottsdale C20, SBC 350, TH400, 4.10 gear ratio
Bow Tie Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
superwade57

just my opinion but go back to the yard, get the headlight bezels and marker lights, the 73-74 should be orange. your truck has 79-80 headlight bezels and parking lights. that'll completely change the look of your truck between that and the grill. also grab the center and two outside grill supports. easy sell for approx. $50-$75 depending on condition. grab the gauges and bezel also before some kid breaks them they are also 73-74 specific. heck buy the whole truck from them for a couple hundred bucks, buy a premium membership here for pennies and put it up in the classifieds section with lots of pics for a part out. us mid-westerners dont get to come by rust free trucks like this and WILL pay for the parts.
superwade57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:31 PM   #4
78 Big10 454
78 Big10 454

Do yourself a favor and run over to NAPA and get a new replacement fan clutch. They're cheap and you don't know how many miles are on the one you pulled. Mine froze on the 210 freeway in Pasadena doing 70 mph. Four of the seven fan blades broke, puncturing the radiator. The kicker is that I had a new fan clutch sitting in my garage at home. Bought it over 10 years ago and never found the time (lazy) to install it. Guess how much that repair cost me....
Old 10-20-2012, 11:56 PM   #5
slam59

78 Big TEn, yeah thats a good idea, dont need that happening to me on the road.

Superwade, hear you loud and clear. gonna go back anyway, forgot to get the gas gauge, i need one.

Bow tie, will look for ya when I go on that linkage.

1977 3/4 ton Silverado 454

1999 2 door 2wd Tahoe
slam59 is offline   Reply With Quote