The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2012, 12:45 AM   #1
agnes the dog

Figuring out what I have????

I guess my biggest stumbling block right now is figuring out what I have.

I know I have a 59 3100 stepside, not original 305, original 3 on the tree. I would like to know if there were any optional transmissions on the 59s and how to tell which one I may have. Also wondering how to tell what my rear end gear is. I jacked it up and found that the wheels spin independently (not posi I understand). It seems like the truck naturally wants to be in 3rd gear at about 30mph. Everything else is just engine after that. My goal is to find something to bring down the rpms a little after 50mph, but I don't want to break my bank. Auto transmission would be good for the wife, but she will need ps and pb to drive it. More $$$. I like the manual, but really don't know where to start making changes since I don't know my starting point. Any suggestions?

Also, I would like to lower the truck. Is there a way to tell if it's been lowered yet? I don't want to buy suspension lowering parts if they're already on there. I'm running 235/70/15 (26.5" tall) and the front fender height is 30" at the highest point. The rear fender height is 27.25" at the highest point, running the same tires. I have 7 leafs in the back and 6 up front. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics....

agnes the dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:01 AM   #2
agnes the dog

Re: Figuring out what I have????

Oh, and if anyone knows how to tell which company made the wheels, I'd really appreciate that info too. Would like to go 10" in the back and put on 275/60/15 (same diameter, just wider). Thanks! JJ
agnes the dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
mknittle

Re: Figuring out what I have????

Can't tell, but Jegs and Summit racing sell chrome smoothies with baby moons like that.
They aren't that expencive either.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...ROME+SMOOTHIES

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...MOOTHIES&dds=1

This may help. I didn't knowyour lug count or bolt circle so I did a search of chrome smoothies.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602

Last edited by mknittle; 10-22-2012 at 10:25 AM.
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote