The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2012, 12:44 AM   #1
Blessed66

Charging System Issue

Some time back, I put a later-model alternator in my truck to correct what I thought was a failing generator issue. I'm using a higher amperage two-pin regulator style GM alternator. I still have an issue with the truck that, as it is running - a click can be heard and then the alternator stops charging.

I was told my best bet would be to ohm the jumper wire from the alternator's 12v power post to the voltage regulator and if it builds up resistance to around the 10k ohm mark just before it shuts off, the regulator and/or diode has failed. One of the fringe benefits of working for a stealership, I suppose, is having a great electrical guy - but I wondered if anyone else has seen this before on the board?
Posted via Mobile Device
Blessed66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
luvbowties

Question Re: Charging System Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed66 View Post
Some time back, I put a later-model alternator in my truck to correct what I thought was a failing generator issue. I'm using a higher amperage two-pin regulator style GM alternator. I still have an issue with the truck that, as it is running - a click can be heard and then the alternator stops charging.

I was told my best bet would be to ohm the jumper wire from the alternator's 12v power post to the voltage regulator and if it builds up resistance to around the 10k ohm mark just before it shuts off, the regulator and/or diode has failed. One of the fringe benefits of working for a stealership, I suppose, is having a great electrical guy - but I wondered if anyone else has seen this before on the board?
Posted via Mobile Device
First, I do not think you can check resistance(ohms) of a hot wire! Second, if you COULD run such a test, the opinion that "the regulator and/or diode has failed" is something we already know. What that statement is saying is that the regulator and/or alternator has failed. I'd check a schematic for accurate wiring for whatever alter and volt-reg you are running, and ensure the amp-carrying wire is at least a 10 gauge. I'd guess that click being heard is the volt-reg breaking the circuit, and could possibly be due to too-small a wire carrying excessive current and getting prematurely hot.
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote