The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #1
jimmydiesel

Another T5 question

I have searched the threads and found some very good info. I have aquired a S10 trans and the ratios should work for me. It looks like the input shaft being too long is going to be a headache. Is it possible to swap the S10 input shaft for the shorter Camaro one or would that not work? It would certainly be cheaper than buying a whole Camaro trans or getting a spacer plate made.

Thanks guys
jimmydiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: Another T5 question

You can cut the shaft & brg. retainer down to the size of the ones on the old trans. Then you need to grind the grooves in the shaft so the disc will slide back about 1/2 in. further.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
MrGMC

ordered an adapter plate from Hamilton Intakes for my son's 67. It worked out great. no fuss, no muss and it was well made.
MrGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
jocko

You may have seen this thread already, but it's a way to do this - and since I originally posted it in the 60-66 section, thought I would share. You CAN chop the input shaft, but your pilot shaft engagement in the pilot bushing is way too short. I personally wouldn't do that route.
It's an easy swap and using an adapter plate is the way to go (unless you happen to have an F-body main case lying around (can't just swap the input shaft)).

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=482069

I tried to order the Hamilton Intakes plate and they strung me along for about 6 months "waiting on their foundry guy", so I made my own.
Then I discovered Vintage Metalworks - that'd be my preference at this point. Good guy. If Hamilton has them in stock, go for it, but I will personally go with Vintage Metalworks from now on.
The thread shows you how to make your own.

Last edited by jocko; 10-26-2012 at 08:39 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote