The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
JointTech

Wont start/stay running

SB 350
HEI
new plugs/wires/cap/rotor
Quadrapuke 4 bbl

went out to get back on the old girl today. It sits a lot and usually needs a jump but fires right up. Today it didnt start.
I pulled the hose going into the carb and gas shoots out when cranking. not sure how much is supposed to be coming out but it was pumping gas.

I replaced the Carb fuel filter any way.
still wouldnt start.

Hit it with starting fluid spray and it fired right up for about 10 seconds and then died.
Im assuming that means it has spark.

I pulled the main fuel filter under the frame out and blew through it and it didnt seem to have any obstructions but I would have thought it would be full of fuel however nothing dribbled on me and when i blew it out there was maybe a tablespoon or so in it.

I plan on changing it tomorrow but since I see fuel coming out up by the carb I assume thats not the problem.

Any other ideas?
its not cold here, 70's.

If i hit it with starting fluid it will start right up every time and sounds normal but trying to feather the gas pedal to keep it running just stalls it out.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Wont start/stay running

Couple of things come to mind: Carb is plugged with debris or contaminated fuel.

Since you referred to the quadrajet as a quadrapuke I assume you have a negative affinity to it but you need to remove it and either have someone clean it out for you or you can do it yourself. There's a lot of good info on the net on how to do it.

Re. the amount of fuel output of the fuel pump -it should pump out at least a pint of gas into a plastic container in less than 30 seconds when idling.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
JointTech

aww i dont feel one way or the other about them. I just always heard them called that. All carbs are voodoo to me Before I pull the carb off ill check and see how much it squirts out of the pump.
I read another thread where the guy had a bunch of water in the tank. I did just stick my tank in the bed of the truck and it rained for awhile and I know the tank was close to empty so it may be just pumping water.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

10/4. I've heard them called that too. They're not the easiest carb to work on but once working correctly they're not that bad.

To check for fuel contamination I have about a 2-1/2 foot section of fuel hose that I put on the intake side of the fuel pump. I fill up a 1 gallon container with fresh gas an place it under the truck and start it that way.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #5
JointTech

good call on the gas can method. I stuck my fuel line into one and hit the carb with starter fluid and it fired right up and stayed running no problem!!!
thanks!
so I got a new fuel filter but since the gas tank is in the bed of my truck
im just going to empty it first and blow out the lines with my compressor.
Then put on the new fuel filter and put in some new gas.
Problem is I leave my truck at the office and some ****heads keep trying to steal my gas. The locking cap is all beat up and I caught some guys out there a few months ago as well. So I hate to put more than a few gallons in it.