The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
ubtripn

Anybody get more tickets because they drive these trucks??

Last week I am going into work passing a mall at 6am in the dark doing about 40. Police Officer issues me a ticket because the limit is 30. 30!!!!!! and there are no houses or anything around. Anyway, I take it because I was doing 40. Today I am driving the F250 in, same Police Office is on his bike in his spot and a van saws my doors off. Nothing. The Van must have been doing 50. Now in Idaho you can fight ticket but it costs extra which I don't agree with. There should be no financial imperative to just accept a ruling. But I am going to fight it anyway even though I will lose. Why, because I drove a white Outback for 7 years and reeived no tickets. 3 tickets this year in my Orange, loud, fast sounding truck. Sad truth is I never break 60 and I could not beat almost anything else in a race.

Do you get tickets for driving a, "Hotrod."???
ubtripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
chopnchaneled

Re: Anybody get more tickets because they drive these trucks??

Nope, Not yet.
Been pulled over cause the cop wanted to look at my truck, he had one like it.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubtripn View Post
No.
I do drive a Blue, loud, fast sounding Olds.
Perhaps I drive slower? Sorry about your troubles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopnchaneled View Post
Nope, Not yet.
Been pulled over cause the cop wanted to look at my truck, he had one like it.
That happened to me too..scared the crap out of me when I first saw the blues and
wound up making a new friend.
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
bk2life
Account Suspended

Red and bright orange have always historically been pulled over more than any other vehicle on the road.

what is special about your truck which is gaining the attention?
bk2life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #5
ubtripn

Thanks, I just don't want to become a magnet. In Boise all the speed limits are lower than a normal city plus we have twice the number of officers so it can be a real challenge.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
bk2life
Account Suspended

here is what mine looked like about 8 months ago.

not a ticket ever, driven about 1-2 inch off the ground.
Attached Images

bk2life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #7
Lee H

Quote:
Orange, loud, fast sounding truck.

You are a ticket magnet. To answer your question, no.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #8
ArkGL01

I get stopped and they want to look at the truck. That sucks he wrote you a ticket.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #9
ubtripn

I actually drive like I am on a motorcycle because of all drum brakes and I have a GPS speedometer but it is my fault. My point is that I NEVER got stopped in my middle-class wagon. It's like it was invisible and I drove MUCH faster in it. Anyway, part of it is my city and of course the fault is with me. Justice does not always equate to fairness I guess.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #10
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
3 tickets this year in my Orange, loud, fast sounding truck.

You answered your own question.

I have only received a small handful of speeding tickets in 45 years of driving.... and I was going too fast each time.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #11
ubtripn

Lol-yeah I guess so but it ain't fast, just looks like it =)
Old 10-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #12
HeloCrewChief

Never had a problem in Southern California. They mostly mess with tuner cars. I have done some stupid things as well and always got let go without a ticket. Put a fresh BBC in my 68 Chevelle. Took it down the back street open header. Cop pulled me over because, he thought I was going triple digits. I wasn't. He let me go. Pulled up next to another cop one time. Open header as well in a different car. He rolls his window down and just nods his head. Pulled up next to yet another cop. He asked me to do a burnout! Like I said, depends where you live I guess. Southern California cops seem to be really cool about it.
1968 Chevelle
1964 Comet Caliente
1990 W250 Cummins
HeloCrewChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:44 AM   #13
69moneypit
Divorced .....WITH KIDS

I get stopped for no seatbelts than they realize how old my truck is and that it has lap belts .
Posted via Mobile Device
2005 Nissan Armada (wife's idea)
69moneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #14
ubtripn

Wow
Old 10-29-2012, 12:47 PM   #15
GRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
You answered your own question.

I have only received a small handful of speeding tickets in 45 years of driving.... and I was going too fast each time.
^^ My thought exactly. Had a couple cops ask me about my truck, one state trooper even held up traffic for an entire light cycle to talk about it. Then again, my truck is not a hot rod
Old 10-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #16
c10srule

theres a town over from us that hands out c and is like candy to old loud hotrods, i left the stop sign and got up to the speed limit in a short time didnt speed or brake traction but the cop gave me one, i stopped at the gas station in my ciera where he was sitting again and a woman with a car load of kids did it and looked to be speeding asked him why no ticket was it because no loud pipes or soccer moms are aloud to do that, he walked off, went to court and the judge threw it out because he said it wasnt a c and i but could get a noise polution ticket if someone filed one, said the mufflers are state legal, needles to say i put thru that town to stop unwanted aggrivation,
c10srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #17
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

In my state, if you choose to go to court, the court may and in many case do fine you more than the ticket. They are allowed to fine up to $500.00 if they do feel like doing so. They can also put the cost of the court and the officer's time to appear in that court up as a reason for increasing your fine.

It is good to fight, but if you go without a Lawyer, then you are asking for a larger fine, to be given at the judge's desire.

GOOD LUCK
Old 10-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #18
cdowns

well the way you are goin it looks like you'll be on foot in short order maybe when you get the driving privleges back you'll approach it a new and improved way i know i did when i was young
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #19
GMCJOE

Loud and fast are the key words.

I got a ticket when I had a 98 mustang GT (H-pipe with 40 series dumped at the axle). It was 3am and on my way to work, speed limit was 30. The cop said she clocked me doing 51 from about a 1/4 mile away and locked me in at 42. The funny thing was, I hadn't left 3 gear and was idling pretty much in that gear. The speedo read 31 or 32 when I looked down when the lights cam on in front of me. $100 ticket for that, wouldn't show me the radar, and she thanked me for wearing my seat belt. Should have fought it, but it wasn't worth the hassle. Found out later that she is married to a high ranking Army guy and is always pulling over soldier issuing them out tickets.

I have also gotten a public nuisance warning for my 69. Guess my exhaust annoyed someone, but that was when the 454 was in with some race mufflers. Both gone and little quieter now.

Honestly, I haven't driven it enough yet to get a ticket with it. But around a military post and being a soldier, you are bound to get pulled over just because you are a soldier. Even driving a Prius...lol

1969 GMC SWB-350 SBC 700R4
2013 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Longhorn Edition-6.7 PPEI EFI Live CSP5 5” ProFlo Exhaust
GMCJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #20
c10boob

I'm not the cop, so I can't say for sure whether or not he ticketed you for 'being a hot rod', but I find it unlikely in my experience in law enforcement.

I will say that if he was using an older radar (or just radar in general as opposed to lidar), he may not have been able to determine the speed of the van that flew by, as in your story it sounds like the van was too close to another moving vehicle (this makes the radar bounce back and forth and often locks on to the larger of the two vehicles, which was probably your truck). But that's just me speculating.

As a cop myself, I know I get accused of doing a lot of things wrong when there is ALWAYS a reason why I do things a certain way. Nonetheless, no one is ever too happy when getting arrested or receiving a ticket, so I'm the obvious one to blame.
c10boob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:29 PM   #21
dwarf717

If you dont want to get pulled over, dont give them a reason to do so. Going 40 in a 30 is a reason. Having loud exhaust, such as what flowmaster 40s emit is another reason. Tone it down, and back off the pedal. Once you get one ticket, you are likely to get another. After that 2nd one, you are an easy score, and judges seldom listen to your side due to your history. I also used to drive a red truck...will never own another!
dwarf717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #22
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I was pulled over in my school bus, last week. Yep. A school bus. Why? Because the cop has a child that normally rides and had missed my bus. Kids on the bus loved being pulled over....blue lights, but no siren.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #23
ubtripn

First - I am not saying that I was not breaking the law. I was and I will pay. How much I pay is yet to be decided.

Second - I thank God for all of the men and women that do the job that keeps us safe. (I actually made a Cop give me a ticket 15 years ago because my young son was with me. He wanted to do a warning but I wanted my son to see that if you break the law, there are consequences.)

What I am saying is that I should have the right to dispute a charge without risking a larger fine. That being said, in this case speed limit was set to 30, I was doing 40, I was wrong. I accept that. I just don't like the uneven application of the law hence what I witnessed this morning but C10boob cleared that up for me.

The main point of my post was do you get pulled over more being in, what can appear to be, a faster ride?

As I said, I drove a white Subaru Outback for many years without incident. But in my truck, 2 times, I was going the same speed as the others or the speed of traffic but was chosen for the honor of a ticket. I was just wondering if anybody else experiences this. A potential uneven application of the traffic laws.

Another point that bothers me is the 30 miles an hour when it used to be higher. There is no reason for 30 in the area I was in. No residential, 4 lanes. They have been lowering the speed limits even further around town. It seems like a revenue move to me. Like the town that had red light cameras and was making lots of revenue so they shortened up the red light duration even more and raised revenue. This is a whole other thing though.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #24
ubtripn

I am painting my as soon as I can, thanks for the advice.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:54 PM   #25
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69moneypit View Post
I get stopped for no seatbelts than they realize how old my truck is and that it has lap belts .
Posted via Mobile Device
I had a CHP try to ticket me for no seatbelt and got out of it because my 69 didn't come with seatbelts. He pulled me over because my brake lights didn't come on until I was almost at a full stop, he couldn't understand how downshifting could slow my truck down, apparently he had never driven a manual trans before. Thats the only time I have been pulled over in one of my trucks and they're both very brightly colored and somewhat loud.
Posted via Mobile Device
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote