The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
ubtripn

Need help Bad, please

This is the order of events:

1. Front brakes and wheel cylinders removed
2. All hardware replaced (Retainer issue fixed)

I had good brake pressure before. (These are power brake drums) but I cannot build pressure back. I have bled them the normal way then gravity bled them with almost half a gallon of fluids, no visible leaks, just cannot get pressure.

Shouldn't I be able to bleed the front end on it's own since it is in a separate loop than the rear?

What else can I do??

Thanks.
ubtripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
72chevynoob

Re: Need help Bad, please

1- visually inspect all brake lines for leaks because if fluid can get out, air can get in
2 if disks ensure right side up and on correct side of vehicle (calipers can be switched side to side, which will leave the bleeder screw pointing down and your brakes wont bleed out.

Yes, the front and rear should bleed separately.

What is your bleeding procedure?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-31-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
Secret Squirrel

I'd bleed all the lines, don't forget to check the cap for leaks. I had to use two rubber gaskets on my master cylinder to get it to seal (i.e. build pressure).

I seen bubbles while my buddy pumped the pedal, if the lid don't seal you will not get pressure. I eventually decided to gravity bleed the lines in the correct order (farthest to close). Took about an hour and gave me time to unwind.
1960 Biscayne Wagon/El Camino
1995 YJ 4.0 SOA SYE on 35s
01 Excursion Limited 7.3 PSD
06 Suzuki DRZ 400S

Last edited by Secret Squirrel; 10-31-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Secret Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:10 AM   #4
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
I'd bleed all the lines, don't forget to check the cap for leaks. I had to use two rubber gaskets on my master cylinder to get it to seal (i.e. build pressure).

I seen bubbles while my buddy pumped the pedal, if the lid don't seal you will not get pressure. I eventually decided to gravity bleed the lines in the correct order (farthest to close). Took about an hour and gave me time to unwind.
That's incorrect. The seal of the master cylinder lid has no bearing on the pressure being made in the master cylinder. That is a function of the piston inside the bore. All the reservoir of fluid in the master cylinder is there for is to assure the piston has a steady supply of fluid as needed. Gravity does the rest. The rubber gasket is simply there to keep fluid from spilling out of the reservoir when the truck goes through day to day various turns and bumps. The fluid in the master cylinder reservoir is never under any pressure (other than atmospheric).
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:13 AM   #5
jjzepplin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
That's incorrect. The seal of the master cylinder lid has no bearing on the pressure being made in the master cylinder. That is a function of the piston inside the bore. All the reservoir of fluid in the master cylinder is there for is to assure the piston has a steady supply of fluid as needed. Gravity does the rest. The rubber gasket is simply there to keep fluid from spilling out of the reservoir when the truck goes through day to day various turns and bumps. The fluid in the master cylinder reservoir is never under any pressure (other than atmospheric).
x2
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:56 AM   #6
ubtripn

Ok. Thank you. Can air in the rear lines mess up the front when they are on different circuits?
Old 11-01-2012, 07:59 AM   #7
bk2life
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubtripn View Post
Can air in the rear lines mess up the front
yes.

if any air is in the sytem you will have a soft pedal.
bk2life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:46 AM   #8
ubtripn

ok. I also cannot get any fluid out of the drive rear bleeder. Is replacing that line hard? Do I have to special order it?
Old 11-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #9
70CHEVYBB

You need a master cylinder.
70CHEVYBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:15 AM   #10
Tx Firefighter

You'll probably think this is not very helpful, but over the years, I've gotten to where on every truck I build, I just replace the master cylinder, all wheel cylinders and all three rubber hoses every time. Take all the old stuff off, blow the steel lines out with solvent and air hose, then replace the above mentioned parts. Do the front wheel bearing service and new shoes and hardware as needed at the same time. You might spend 200 bucks doing it this way, but when you pour fluid into the new master cylinder, they will bleed out nice and clean and you'll have fresh brakes to enjoy for a long time. You'd be surprised how nasty the inside of old brake hydraulics get over the years. And hoses swell shut on the inside when they get old. You'll get fluid through them under pressure, but not gravity. And, they'll hold you brakes applied when you release the pedal, ruining your drums and shoes in short order.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #11
ubtripn

I will do so. I just figured I didn't need a master cylinder since it was working before but they are cheap.

My Driver's side rear drums have metal hoses attached directly to them. This is normal right?
Old 11-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #12
Tx Firefighter

Yes. You have one rubber hose from the rear frame rail down to the axle, then it splits off with metal hard lines from there over to each wheel cylinder. The rear hose can be a pain to change, but they're dirt cheap and yours is surely pretty beat after all these years.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #13
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
........My Driver's side rear drums have metal hoses attached directly to them. This is normal right?
Yes. The rubber hoses are located where flexing occurs -on the front wheels and top of rear axle shaft.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #14
ubtripn

Ok, so if I replace hte two metal hosesin the rear, the MC and the rubber hose in the rear (The front ones are new) then I can just fill and bleed the system the normal way right?
Old 11-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #15
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

If you're gonna do all that, might as well replace the rear wheel cylinders too. They are more likely to be bad than the hard lines anyway. And if they are bad, they can definitely cause a soft brake pedal. Besides, you still haven't fixed the problem of not being able to bleed the rears. Did you ever try to clear out the bleeder valve? If that one rear won't bleed, you'll never have good brakes.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #16
ubtripn

I havent tried yet to clear the valve but i will tonight. Wouldn't fluid come out where the valve is though if it was a plugged valve.

Thanks all for the help byt the way.

I just love how a simple brake shoe job mushrooms into a thousand more parts, oh well, it's always that was =)
Old 11-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #17
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
I havent tried yet to clear the valve but i will tonight. Wouldn't fluid come out where the valve is though if it was a plugged valve.
You mean if you completely remove the valve? Yes, you should get fluid out of the wheel cylinder if the valve is removed. BTW, with the valve in your hand, you should be able to blow air through it -- if you can, it's not plugged.

If that's the case, you still might have a bad wheel cylinder. Before going into the rear brakes, try cracking open the hard line to the wheel cylinder and see if you can get fluid out of the hard line. If so, the wheel cylinder is definitely bad (plugged). If you can't get fluid out of the hard line, it -- or the hose (or the hard line coming from the MC) -- is plugged or crimped.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 11-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #18
ubtripn

Just so I know, the standard front drum brakes have two retainer springs one is longer than the other. Does the longer one go on the shorter shoe that faces front? I can't imagine it would matter much but I want it perfect.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #19
ubtripn

I will do that, pull open the hard line, remove and replace while also checking the bleeder valve. Thanks so much for the advice.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #20
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Just so I know, the standard front drum brakes have two retainer springs one is longer than the other. Does the longer one go on the shorter shoe that faces front?
This pic shows a longer spring going to the short (front) shoe, so you're probably right. Other than that, I don't know. I always do one side at a time, so I can reference to the other side. I also lay the parts out in the order I remove them, just in case....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 11-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #21
ubtripn

Yeah, Layed them out only to have them kicked over by the dog but I just didn't pay the right attention. there was a lot going on. That pic is the rear but I bet it applies to the front spring wise. Thanks for the help!
Old 11-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #22
Secret Squirrel

Quote:
That is great news, now I can put the new chrome cap on ... thought I had bought a dud! Thanks
1960 Biscayne Wagon/El Camino
1995 YJ 4.0 SOA SYE on 35s
01 Excursion Limited 7.3 PSD
06 Suzuki DRZ 400S
Old 11-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #23
Secret Squirrel

Quote:
That is great news, now I can put the new chrome cap on ... thought I had bought a dud! Thanks
Old 11-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #24
BluTrukker
BOHICA

One thing that nobody mentioned is to ensure you adjust the shoes out to the drum before you bleed (if you sre pumping the pedal to bleed) other wise you will have a pedal that goes to the floor and you may overstroke the cylinders.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #25
ubtripn

Got it, thx!