The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2012, 10:25 PM   #1
usnabill

Replacing front seal

How much of an effort is it to replace the front seal on a 250? I have the new gaskets for both the front seal and oil pan, but am unsure if I can do this without dropping the motor.
usnabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:06 AM   #2
T2vigil

Re: Replacing front seal

If you are positive it is the front main seal I would try a "Speedy Sleeve" first. It is a sleeve that fits over your harmonic balancer. I have a 64 that I put a 250 in and I would try that first before going to the trouble of replacing the seal.
T2vigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:26 AM   #3
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

If you pull the harmonic balancer off to install a speedi-sleeve, you might as well replace the seal too. Its right there and would only take a couple more minutes. With the balancer off, there is absolutely nothing left to take off. Just yank the seal out and tap a new one in.

The hard part of doing this job on an inline 6 is that you have to reinstall the harmonic balancer and there is little room to work with since the 6 is so much longer than a V8. You have to use a block of wood and a pretty heavy hammer (5 pounder or so) to tap it back into place.

Overall, it's a 30 minute job probably. Remove the belt, use a puller on the balancer, change seal, tap balancer back in place, reinstall belt.

FYI, as far as speedi-sleeves, you can usually get new harmonic balancer much cheaper than you might think and it will last longer than a speedi-sleeve repair will. Last inline 6 balancer I changed was beside the road. I got it at Autozone in the closest town for 60 dollars or so. Bought a hammer and puller there too and changed it on the shoulder of the road.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
usnabill

Great advice. Thanks. I will let you know how it turns out.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Good luck. I have everything together incuding an extra pair of hands to do this on a 64 w/283. Hopefully we'll tackle it successfully on Sunday. Been loosing a quart of oil per tank of gasoline out the front seal. I went ahead and purchased a spare balancer sleeve in case I mess the first one up, besides, the one that came in the felpro gasket kit is has no lip to install it and the National one has both a lip and installation cup to tap it on....even comes with lock tite for the sleeve. I'm lookin at the radiator and once the shroud is off, I could do the whole change out w/o pullin the radiator but.......I plan to drill and tap the crank for a balancer retention bolt and though it'll be a close thing, I may have to pull the radiator to get it done. Luck to you....I'm hopeing for luck on my end too. If it works, I'll treat Ol John Lee to a nice oil and filter change too! I'm sure we'll take lots of pics and post em up here just for kicks. Hopeing the fasteners are all in good shape, theres enough oil on the motor that I doub't any will be rusted in place. Tough part of this to accept is I'll have a clean spot on the motor and it'll look funky.
Sharps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #6
63burban
Chevy addict

I don't know how bad yours is leaking but mine likes to leak a little bit every other year or so. I go underneath and snug the pan bolts and she is good for awhile again.
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
usnabill

After driving it will give a drop every 5 seconds or so for about 20 minutes... So I went to Autozone and got a harmonic balancer repair sleeve, the oil pan gasket, the timing cover gasket, and rented the harmonic balancer puller. I think I have everything to do the job. Will try and post some pics for reference.