The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
ZMAR

Truck won't start!

First off, I finally got a key made by taking the pass tumbler out to get fitted. It turns the ignition flawlessly. I removed the spark plugs and poured in some mystery oil (have been doing this once a week and manually turning the motor). I hooked the positives up first then the negatives. All lights came on and dash works! I went to turn the motor over and it did turn a few times until my jumper cables started smoking ONLY on the posts. I waited awhile and tried again this time starter did nothing just all the smoke off the battery. Wth is going on? Bad ground somewhere? Fried starter?

P.s. no I did not hook them up backwards!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-31-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
MacGyver72

Re: Truck won't start!

Yes, check your ground cables and check the positive cable at the starter. Check the cables themselves too. Are they fairly new?
MacGyver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:10 PM   #3
ZMAR

Yes they are brand new. Cheapos though. Ill check cable to starter. Just installed ground cable so it should be good
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-31-2012, 11:13 PM   #4
ZMAR

I might add that it seemed really hard to turn over. Like the battery was dead
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-31-2012, 11:16 PM   #5
jborders

did you put the plugs back in before you tried to start it? If you have been pouring oil into the plug holes and then put plugs back in it with standing oil in there it might make it hard to turn over. You might want to leave the spark plugs out and turn it over a few times to blow all that oil out of there before you actually try to start it. just a thought.
jborders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
dwarf717

whichever cable is the hot one, is where the problem lies. A hot ground cable means bad ground, or too small a guage cable. Hot positive means something is drawing too much, or too small a guage cable. Try hooking your booster cables to the truck itself. Battery+ to the solonoid, and Battery- to the engine block, and see if that works. If it does, I would say you have a problem with your cables, and/or connections
dwarf717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:22 PM   #7
chevytruckluver
Eat, Sleep, Drive a Chevy

As stated above, I would try spinning the motor over (with the starter) with the plugs out first. also, be sure you have a good ground from the frame to the engine.

72 Short Step
57 "big window" short step
chevytruckluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:24 PM   #8
ZMAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jborders View Post
did you put the plugs back in before you tried to start it? If you have been pouring oil into the plug holes and then put plugs back in it with standing oil in there it might make it hard to turn over. You might want to leave the spark plugs out and turn it over a few times to blow all that oil out of there before you actually try to start it. just a thought.
That makes sense. Ill definitely try that for the next go around.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-31-2012, 11:27 PM   #9
ZMAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarf717 View Post
whichever cable is the hot one, is where the problem lies. A hot ground cable means bad ground, or too small a guage cable. Hot positive means something is drawing too much, or too small a guage cable. Try hooking your booster cables to the truck itself. Battery+ to the solonoid, and Battery- to the engine block, and see if that works. If it does, I would say you have a problem with your cables, and/or connections
They both go up in smoke and so hot u can't touch w/ bare hands. If I hook the cables to the truck itself what should I look for? Hot wires?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-31-2012, 11:35 PM   #10
MacGyver72

dwarf717 is right about the wires. If they're not the proper gauge, You'll have issues. Also, are you jumping this with another vehicle or using a charger? Has the starter been removed? The starter grounds to the block and if it's been removed any oil or dirt between the mating surfaces can cause problems.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:37 PM   #11
jborders

I bet it's hydrolocked. I had an engine do the same thing one time. It was a 5.3 conversion i was doing it hadn't been running in six months or so. the first time i tried to start it it turned over a few times then acted like the battery was dead. so i charged the battery all night and the next day same thing. I tried to turn it over by hand and couldn't budge it. finally pulled the plugs out and realized the #3 fuel injector was stuck open pouring gas into the cylinder. replaced the injector pulled the plugs spun it over and blew all the gas out of it. replaced plugs and its been fine ever since. obviously you don't have an injector stuck but any liquid on top of that piston or several pistons will do it if its enough.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:40 PM   #12
MacGyver72

I agree with the members that say pull the plugs and turn it. Lubing the cylinders probably has them doing unbelievable compression that the starter can't overcome.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:52 PM   #13
ZMAR

Ok guys I'm going to try running bigger/better wires. Replacing starter. Also will blow the oil out. What does the little wire that comes off the pos side straight to a fuse block looking thing run to? Just noticed nothing works at all unless it is hooked up
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-01-2012, 12:04 AM   #14
jborders

that wire goes to circ. breaker on pass side fender. then over rad. support. to fuse box i think. It runs everything, its normal. if its not there nothing works. What is the history with this? Has it been sitting for a long time? I'm just wondering because the way i look at it if it was running at one point the wires and starter probably were ok. Granted age takes its toll on things but I would try doing one thing at a time. Clean the oil out first see what that does. If that doesn't do it then go from there. Might save yourself some money.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:37 AM   #15
ZMAR

Quote:
that wire goes to circ. breaker on pass side fender. then over rad. support. to fuse box i think. It runs everything, its normal. if its not there nothing works. What is the history with this? Has it been sitting for a long time? I'm just wondering because the way i look at it if it was running at one point the wires and starter probably were ok. Granted age takes its toll on things but I would try doing one thing at a time. Clean the oil out first see what that does. If that doesn't do it then go from there. Might save yourself some money.
It has been sitting for 8 years.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #16
cdowns

like they said spin without plugs// if i had the plugs out i'd just go ahead and replace them// i'd replace the fuel filter that is inside the carb inlet line// i'd clean and set the points to remove corrosion and oxidation from sitting// then i'd try to fire it up
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #17
MacGyver72

Sitting for eight years changes some things. Cdowns has the right approach. I'd also pull the carb and clean it out to get rid of gum and varnish, lube the dist weights, check the vacuum advance with a hand pump and in the words of Charlie Daniels from Uneasy Rider.....".....jump in and fire that mother up!" LOL.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #18
ZMAR

Thanks for the help guys. Should I drop the oil pan and clean it out? I mean 8 yrs is a LONG time
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-01-2012, 08:39 PM   #19
MacGyver72

It's been awhile since I've been under one of these but I think to drop the pan, you need to remove the engine. I would recommend that after you get it running that you put a can of motor flush in it. Follow the directions and change the oil. That should clean out any sludge in the motor.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #20
jborders

i'm curious. any updates?
Old 11-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #21
ZMAR

Quote:
i'm curious. any updates?
Not yet! Really busy on the last quarter of the year! Maybe this weekend I can get something done. I also have a 2 month old at home!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #22
data89

If this is your '69 you're talking about, you just need to take the front motor mount bolts out and after removing the starter, jack up the engine until you can put a 2" blocks of wood between the flanges of the engine mounts and the engine. Remove the jack and providing you've taken all the bolts out of the oil pan, slide it out towards the flywheel. Might as well degrease it and the starter and paint it while it's out. Don't leave the engine propped up overnight, just the few hours you need to do the job. Put your new seals in and no more drops on the floor...well maybe a couple.
data89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #23
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I would get it running before pulling the pan.Take th fuel line that runs to the fuel pump from the tank loose and use a longer piece to run into a gas can.That way you will be getting fresh fuel instead of varnished up old junk from the tank.Pour a couple onces in the carb right before you try to start it.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote