The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
VictoriaHardware

Special Paint Mystery

Does anyone know what “Special” paint means? I have a ’66 Suburban that has trim “STD” and paint “SPC” stamped on the kick panel plate. The glove box sticker says paint “SPECIAL” as well. The thing is that it appears to have originally been solid white with no chrome- bumpers, grill, side molding, or anything. It was built in Fremont and delivered to a state agency known for no-frills. It definitely was not school bus yellow or any fleet-type color. It certainly looks like White – normally paint code 521.
VictoriaHardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
tincan1966

Re: Special Paint Mystery

Maybe it was a "special" solid white for that particular customer. I haven't run across anything like that, but someone here has and will educate us all.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I once bought a 1967 Chevelle that was originally sold to the State of California. It was also stamped special. It had the state seal on the door which had been sanded off, and I wanted to paint the doors to match the rest of the car. The color was sort of a greyish off white. The guy at the paint store was getting angry when I insisted there was no paint code stamped on the plate. His attitude changed when he looked for himself and found there was indeed no factory code. He had never seen that before either, and just mixed up some custom paint to match. I always assumed the original special paint specifications were probably identified in the purchase contract.

Last edited by markeb01; 11-03-2012 at 08:18 PM.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
63burban4x4

back in the late 70's, early 80's, I was the fleet manager for a construction company, and put together the orders for the trucks we bought, ( 5 or 6 every year) Chevys, Jeeps, and Fords. The dealers had big fan decks with maybe 200 colors for special order "fleet colors". We used a special green that was not a standard color. I have no idea what the cowl tags or glove box decals called them, though. Not much help, right?
63burban4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:12 PM   #5
VictoriaHardware

Well here is part of the answer. I found this on page UPC 0, B6 of the 1966 Assembly Manual (page 459/525 in .pdf file)

Name:  Asm_Man_Spl_Paint.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  23.5 KB

My SPID has “SPECIAL” in the upper right, but does not have any mention about the paint in the lower section. This must have been a fleet order paint color although it seems awful close to just plain 521 white. It was ordered by the State of California, so maybe it is as markeb01 mentioned- greyish off white. It’s hard to tell the original shade since it was re-painted and badly faded. The firewall is original, but dirty so it’s no help.

SPID:
Name:  SPID_spl.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  25.3 KB
Kick Panel Plate:
Name:  Kick_Panel_Trim&Paint.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  11.9 KB
Old 12-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

you should still be able to find some clean original paint under a bolt or bracket, if they wern't removed for the repaint, maybe pull the heater cover, or the column support on the firewall?
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:29 PM   #7
VictoriaHardware

Well there are lots of places where I find the original white, but all of it just looks like plain white to me. I'm still at a loss why the factory would offer a white so close to the 521 white.

Am I the only one with a Special paint code ?
Old 01-26-2014, 12:52 PM   #8
oem4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaHardware View Post
Well there are lots of places where I find the original white, but all of it just looks like plain white to me. I'm still at a loss why the factory would offer a white so close to the 521 white.

I can't recall where right now, but I've seen a couple of those on here.
If you don't like the orphan color, look at it this way: This is your ticket to paint it any color you can dream up, and it'll still be "correct".
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:45 PM   #9
60-66

From the data book.

WANTED :1964-1966 PANEL TRUCK
60-66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:05 PM   #10
padresag

Quote:

why the white may be a little different. if it was a fleet colour and that fleet may have been previously one of the other manufacturers who had supplied a white, they may have had to match it.
it is funny sometimes as to how one has to spec out a vehicle. When I was selling IHC and Pacific trucks in the mid 70's, i had to quote to BCFP for a couple of off highway trucks. The specs that they supplied had all come from Hayes. you had to work to their specs. that was an interesting one in more than one way
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:18 AM   #11
kieth

Quote:

Their are thousands of whites, all whites can vary a lot. Fleets specify their own colors so they can repair the trucks easily, and so one can tell when their trucks are around and so that they convey a consistent image. I sold class 5,6,7, & 8 trucks for years. We always said we did not care what color the truck was as long as it was sold !!!!
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:48 AM   #12
BLK65K10

Quote:

I have had at least 2 trucks that had the special paint tag. I still have one of those tags I just have to find it. If I remember correctly it was off a 66 suburban that was a medium green poly. It might have been a forest service truck.
BLK65K10 is offline   Reply With Quote