The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
urbanhillbilly

She's alive! Finally

So after buying this '66 2 years ago, after it was sitting for 15+ years, engine from a 1977 k10 needing attention next to the 700r4 trans in the bed, along with a variety of many other parts, no exhaust, radiator or brakes, with most the wiring needing to be verified/repaired and spending countless hours out in the garage where the wifes Jeep was suppose to park, i had a triumphant saturday with the driving of the Cpop out of the garage. WoooHooo!
Sorry no pics, I'm having technical difficulties with mobile version, but just imagine a white shortbox requiring the typical rust repair with a 2 inch drop in rear.
Posted via Mobile Device
urbanhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: She's alive! Finally

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on a big milestone!
Old 11-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
urbanhillbilly

Here's a couple
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
Big Fenders

Nice looking truck...enjoy the feeling..
Bob
Big Fenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
urbanhillbilly

A few details of it so far:
The buddy of mine that I bought it from was under the impression the engine was a 350, turned out to be a 400....sweet! I just did the top end, with a new oil pump instal. I popped of two mains on the crank to take a peak, the caps and journals showed some typical wear, nothing alarming. My buddy pulled from his blazer 10 years or more ago, he said it had 120,000 when he pulled it. Inside the cylinders some cross hatch was visible, not much but nothing looked scary in 'em...so I cleaned off the top landings of the rings. I threw in a bigger cam hot for street use and threw a set of newer heads on, they had about 10,000 miles on a valve job, so I threw some new valve seals and checked all the spring heights, they all fell in spec. I buttoned up the top with an edelbrock performer intake man. and rebuilt the quadrajet that was stock on this engine. I went through cliffs high performance for both rebuild kit and bushing kit, that guy rocks! I threw some old underbody headers threw a couple 40 series 2 1/4" mufflers and some kick out in front of rear tires.
A speedway radiator, 22X19X3 3/16" and a little fab work, engine cooling in place.
700r4 that came from fleet cop cars, an associate is a mechanic for them pulled this with about 15,000 on the rebuild. I used a cross member from a camaro, but i needed a 1" pad for correct height. I also used the front set of holes on the frame. I have the understanding the driveshaft was stock to the truck, at least what my buddy remembers. I threw a new set of u joints in and bolted it to the stock rearend. Driveline complete...for now
Here's a couple pics:
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
Ta2Don

Welcome aboard, enjoy your truck and congrats on Driving out of the garage... I've owned my 65 since April and I've pushed the truck across the Driveway. Will Drive it one of these days...
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #7
urbanhillbilly

I went through the brakes, all drums didn't look bad, so a complete rebuild on all 4 short of the drums.
I removed the stock jelly jar single piston master cylinder and installed a dual reservoire and new lines all the way around.
I did a 2" drop on the rear, getting u-bolts made up at national spring in Milwaukee, with plans on cutting a coil out on the front springs.
The truck was an original stepside, someone added this fleetside. I Know this was last registered in 1994 in Texas. The wiring was never hooked up from box to truck, and the wires in place at the lights were all I had, so I pulled some new wires matching the colors.
Everything in the dash was there, pretty much untouched. I did pull the console and went threw all plugs and replaced all bulbs, cleaning all connections. I even ran a seperate ground from gauge console to body. P.O. installed a tilt column from a '71 c10, I did an easy convertor plug assembly. The fuses all good, cleaned them up a bit.
The headlights, i removed the buckets from the existing stock aluminum bashed up grill and mounted them to the front, using stock holes. I cleaned all connections and had to change out some wire.
All connecting plugs were gone through, all lamps replaced, I added grounding starps from battery/starter, block/frame, cab/frame and box/frame.
I pulled the gas tank, it had 15# or more of junk and sediment along with a 30" stick
Old 11-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #8
urbanhillbilly

Thanks to everyone welcoming me.
The fuel tank has a leak, after i've cleaned it out with screws and chain and cussing.
Currently a gas can is riding shotgun...yikes. I looked into coating it, but with this ethanol garbage, I've heard bad things about all the great products. So some custom set-up will be required, I'm not sure what yet, I've got a few ideas rolling around, but we'll see.
The bed is currently a few sheets of 3/4" panel board, which is long term for now, or until i get that far.
Some typical rust in the foot baords, the doorjam rockers and front fenders behind the wheels. I hope things don't get too scary under the window seals.
That's the story so far, I'm now able to focus on other projects, which are many, now that the Cpop is mobile under its own power!
Old 11-03-2012, 10:44 PM   #9
Jeff La

congrats and welcome
Jeff La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:00 AM   #10
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Welcome to the forum

Congrats on your truck moving under it's own power. I think we all remember what that feels like
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:45 AM   #11
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Welcome!! Nice project you have going there..

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:26 AM   #12
glos55

Love short fleets!!! Welcome!!!!
Old 11-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #13
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Welcome aboard man! Great story so far. Good job on giving attention to all the little things. Those are usually the ones that give you problems on the road. I usually try to take that same approach.

Any more pics?
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #14
MOTOIMPAIRED

It's a good feeling!!!!

Welcome..
MOTOIMPAIRED is offline   Reply With Quote