The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
johnny mac

Ball joint/Tie rod end /McGaughy spindle confusion/help request

Hi all,
I searched but I couldn't a specific answer for my issue. I recently bought my 65 GMC. While picking up parts to upgrade my power steering a craigslister also stated that he had 2.5" lowering spindles that "he was told" would fit a 63-66 Chevy truck. So I took the bait and got them. They are the McGaughy spindles with the 6072 L & R stamped on them. I called McGaughy's and was basically told to try the ball joints to see if they fit.

Here is where I have run into issues. First off, I am not very familiar with how ball joints are supposed to fit into spindles. I have tried 3 different upper ball joints: one for 63-66, one for 71-72, and 73-86. The ones for 63-66 and 71-72 would not fit at all - too thick. The '73 ball joints appear to fit perfectly. That problem is solved.

My issue is the tie rod ends. As stated on the Drums to Discs conversion thread, I was planning to use the outer tie rod ends for the same years as the ball joints, however, the outer tie rod end for a 73-86 does not fit at all! It is too large. The threads won't even go in the hole. I bought a new tie rod end for a 63-66, however, and it fits perfectly.

Has anyone run into this type of situation? Do I just change the ball joints out to a 73-86 version and run my existing tie rod ends? Seems like the easiest solution but I want to make sure I am not missing any issues.

Here is a pic of one of the spindles:

Gratuitous truck shot:

THANKS A MILLION!!!!

John
johnny mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:23 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Ball joint/Tie rod end /McGaughy spindle confusion/help request

I'm not that familar with their spindles, but if that is what fits, that's what I would use.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote