The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2012, 12:31 AM   #1
smfdco1

My latest toy

Back during the summer I obtained a '69 GMC Suburban Ambulance to restore from a friend. He had a bodyshop repaint it and was just beginning to reassemble it when a job change forced him to give up on it thus it had sat outside for the past 5 years. I got it home in September and so far have done some paint work to one side, buffed the entire truck, started to put the trim moldings and lights back on, begun to reinstall the emergency lights and equipment and repainted the engine. I am also replacing the original (from 1969) belts and hoses. This truck has only 5,047 actual miles on it, documented by the Virginia annual safety inspection receipts found in the glove box. The attached photos are from the day I towed it home behind my '96 Suburban, during some of the work to correct flaws in the paint and as it is today. A lot of work remains and thanks to this forum I have been able to find answers to a lot of my questions. Thanks to those that share their knowledge.
Attached Images

smfdco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:30 AM   #2
s_nova69

Re: My latest toy

very cool.
4wd '72 Suburban LT4 coming soon!!
s_nova69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
vectorit
What?

Welcome to the forum!

That is really cool, I'm looking forward to seeing and reading more about it.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:12 AM   #4
70cst

Hay smfdco1 ...

to the forums and from Ohio

as that is one Burb. Keep us updated with pics

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:53 PM   #5
Big Block
Big Block

I love it. GMC also.
Big Block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
smfdco1

Over the past several weeks I have been busy but often what I spent days doing didn't look like much in the photos. Today I decided that a few progress photos were in order. Since last I have completed installing the lights, siren(s) and the wiring. I made the switch panel for the dash and mounted the control heads for both 2-way radios. I also replaced all of the factory hoses and belts. Today I installed four new tires and tomorrow plans are to pull the carb for a re-build and do a complete tune-up while the weather is mild. Next on the list is to make a new headliner using a method found on this forum and begin to make the rear cabinets....
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #7
Big Block
Big Block

Looking good. Keep posting pictures of your progress.
Big Block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #8
no moa

Absolutely beautiful!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451950

1971 c10 step 250 3 OTT

1969 c30 TOW-MATER. 307 4 speed, holmes 440 body.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451082

2006 CTS-V LS2 6spd.
no moa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #9
vectorit
What?

I think it's very cool that you are fixin it up instead of parting it out.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
dougo

It's coming along nice... You're not going to see too many like this (if at all) going down the road.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #11
MusicMan70

That's a Kool First Responder! Love the detail work you are doing.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #12
smfdco1

Thanks to all that took time to comment. Today was another of those one step forward, twenty steps back days. I removed the carb to install a kit and found the two front studs about gone. One I was able to remove intact but the second one twisted off and so far PB Blaster, Hanson easy-outs and a punch have not moved it. I also dropped one of the new plugs... back to the parts store tomorrow. The carb was clean inside and the gaskets were just dry from sitting for several years. Should not be a problem.

As far as putting it back together as an ambulance, I have always wanted to re-do one like this. When I began to volunteer in the early 60s we were using carry-alls and when I went with my second squad we had 3 of these in service. To find one in the condition of this one that was an ambulance from new was perfect for my needs, plus it was way to nice to part out. It will make a nice parade piece.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #13
vectorit
What?

That's how it is when driving/caring for these old rigs, especially when keeping them original and refusing trendy garbage. There is always something that needs attention... Seems like every time I take my baby out, something needs attention afterwards. It's a love hate relationship

You could probably get your rig into the movie scene if you let the right people know it's available, not many emergency vehicles out there like yours so you never know.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:47 PM   #14
smfdco1

You are so right though I must say that in the past 35 years of restoring and showing mostly antique fire trucks I have only had to be towed home once... that is not to say that I have not had to pull out the toolbox several times. It of course is not limited too "old" vehicles. My '96 GMC Suburban developed a rust hole in a rear brake line two weekends ago. I do try and restore using "correct vintage" parts and equipment. Nothing upsets me more that to see a "restored" 20s/30s vintage fire truck or Police car with present day strobe lights all over it though I have no problem with nice street rod with all of the latest features.

The carb stud in the first photo was a surprise. While this truck shows very low road mileage there is no telling how many idle hours (1 hr. = approx. 33 miles) added to that total. The first one I was able to get out without much trouble. The second one however took a day and a half and I ended up having to drill it out and install a Heli-coil. I also replaced what look to be the original spark plugs which took most of another day. All is well and it is running much better now.

The next issue I found was another surprise though it should not have been. As if these trucks don't have enough electrical issues, I kept seeing a "flicker" in the dome light when you closed a door or shook the truck. When the dome light stopped working I found no power on the orange wire. Photo two shows what I found. Apparently when the original owner did the ambulance conversation they cut ALL of the wires in the "A" post. They cut back the insulation and "twisted" the ends together and wrapped them with tape. Over the years these "repairs" turned into a green mess. All of the corroded wires have been replaced, and the dome lights work again.

Monday I got back to my main project from last week, a new headliner. I took a suggestion from this forum and it is turning out nicely. Photos to follow hopefully tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #15
smfdco1

Today I finished the install of my new headliner. Thanks to the information I found here posted by Vectorit and Zeusflash I decided to go with the FRP available at Lowes. Material cost was just over $115 for three sheets of FRP and some trim strips. Since my original headliner was gone there were no old sections to use as a pattern. The following photos will hopefully give others an idea of what is involved making a headliner.

First item on my list was to find and mark a center line to work from. I started from the rear. Due to the several different curved surfaces I decided to make a pattern for this section out of cardboard. I also cut each piece slightly oversize and trimmed as needed for fit. For cutting I used a set of KETT cutters which is like a nibbler for sheet metal. Worked great, clean cuts and fast. A tip here, find a friend to help you install them as two hands are not enough and four just barely makes it. A heat gun applied to the panel from the back allows you to "pre-form" a bit of the roll to the outer edges. Be careful as the plastic doesn't take much to burn.

The second panel was easier as it is almost a perfect square. Again measure from the center line to the gutter several times and then cut once. It is far easier to trim more off than add it back. At $33.00 a sheet you don't want to make many mistakes. I used the stock "T" channel from Lowes between the first two panels. It fits well and provides a finished edge and forms easily to the curve in the roof line. The front panel was the hardest to fit and I made a template here too. The plastic "T" edge will not work here between the forward edge of the center panel and the small section over the drivers seat. In the last photo below I show the "stock" "T" channel and in the center the one I modified for this joint by trimming off one edge. The original edge fits over the forward edge of the center panel. The "edge" strip (third trim on right) goes to the trailing edge of the forward panel and when in place gives a clean finished edge. I removed the three original metal clips and allowed the headliner to lie flat against the metal roof bows. If measured correctly the seams will line up directly over the roof ribs. A single screw would hold them in place though that was not a problem in my case as I was adding several roof lights for the ambulance use. For $120.00 and three days work I am very pleased with the outcome. Thanks Vectorit and Zeusflash for your write-ups and previous work on your trucks which gave me the courage to tackle this.
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2012, 10:31 PM   #16
smfdco1

Oh, and the finished product....
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2012, 12:36 AM   #17
vectorit
What?

Good job!
Looks super clean.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #18
77shortstep

great work the headliner looks great too
Old 12-22-2012, 05:59 PM   #19
gearboxx70

Awesome! I never thought of using FRP for a headliner. Been wanting to do mines all the way to the back and add some lights. I found a "How To" article in some car magazine or other that showed how to do it with expanded steel, upholstery foam, and headliner material. I thought about doing that, but I had reservations about how well the glue would hold the foam and material to the diminished surface area of the expanded steel. I also haul around all my carpentry tools in my burb, so I was worried about the durability of the headliner material. The FRP solves all those problems at once! I see a trip to the Home Depot in my future!

For my lights, I have a friend that works for a trailer manufacturer here in town. He can get different sizes of flush-mount LED lights in a bunch of different colors...including white. I'll probably convert all my interior lighting to those. That way I'll have no problem using the single circuit for the single incandescent light I have in there now. And I think I'll even add a couple 7/8" LEDs under the dash to light up the front floor area. Ever have to go looking for the black pen you dropped in the dark, that quite possibly could have rolled under your pedals? That is the exact reason I have to keep a mini Maglight within reach of the driver seat at all times!

Last edited by gearboxx70; 12-22-2012 at 06:11 PM.
gearboxx70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:35 PM   #20
smfdco1

Thanks for the comments on my headliner install though as I state above I can not take credit for the idea. In my case the original headliner was long gone. I can understand why and recall back when these were used as ambulances doing CPR in the back of one while en-route to the hospital you learned quickly to use the roof bows as a back support or you would quickly poke through the thin fiberboard. Now that mine has been in for several weeks I am very pleased. The other day I drove around a bit and there were no squeaks or creaks and it can be cleaned easily.

As far as the lighting, I too went with LEDs since that way I can leave the lights on at shows with out draining the battery. I did install them in older housings. I also changed the front lamp to led by cutting the older broken housing and using the "clip" into the older housing. The LEDs draw so little current it is no problem running all of them off of the original circuit.

Over the past weeks I have been working on the driver partition and the rear cabinets. They are done, the last coat of Poly went on today. I hope to have them installed by the end of the week. I hope to have photos posted soon...

A Very Merry Christmas to everyone... Be safe...
Old 12-25-2012, 08:03 AM   #21
RANDY COX

Very nice.I miss my ole burb...
Old 12-25-2012, 11:34 PM   #22
smfdco1

Hopefully everyone had a great holiday. After a day "off" from the shop I'm ready to get back to work on my ambulance re-furb. Tomorrow I plan to install the new flooring and while I have some help set the new cabinets back inside. Hopefully by the end of the week the back will be just about done cabinet wise.

Photo 1 building a box that becomes part of the driver divider
Photo 2 the divider between the driver and patient area. It has storage for the first aid kit and some additional supplies.
Photo 3 is the cabinet for storage of the two "backboards" and some other small equipment. On the right side there is a "squad bench" as well.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2012, 11:09 PM   #23
smfdco1

Well I got the new floor covering installed and the new cabinets in. I finished the install of the 2 two-war radios and the wiring. Yesterday I installed new covers on the seat and finished installing the new rubber floor mat. Today my son dropped by and helped me put the seat back in. I also installed new door rubbers and sill plates. This weekend I plan on starting to mount the "rescue" equipment and then to start the lettering. After that a good cleaning will be the next thing on the plan.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2012, 11:24 PM   #24
vectorit
What?

WOW! You sure are going all out on getting everything back the way it was.
Very cool
Old 12-29-2012, 12:08 AM   #25
smfdco1

Thanks Vectorit, I'm trying but just when I feel like I'm gaining on it I run into a snag. Today I put new door gaskets on and taped them into place until the glue dried. I just went outside to the garage to pull the tape and close the doors and the third door lacks about 1 1/2 inches from closing. I'm sure it is just an adjustment but they lined up pretty good with out the rubber. Too late to worry about it tonight. It will give me something to do tomorrow while it is snowing....right.