The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2012, 12:59 AM   #1
TX58

Mounting coil to firewall?

I have 58 with v8 283. the coil that is now mounted to the intake is getting in the way even though it has a factory bracket. Was the coil ever mounted to the firewall? If so,where? Any pics out there?
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
TX58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: Mounting coil to firewall?

No, but its your truck mount it where ever you want. Most aftermarket ignitions end up on the firewall or fender, just keep it out of the heat and check to make sure rain water does not run on it when you open the hood (early corvettes had a shield over the distributor for that purpose).
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
Wrenchbender Ret

I always mount mine on the firewall near the dist.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
No, but its your truck mount it where ever you want. Most aftermarket ignitions end up on the firewall or fender, just keep it out of the heat and check to make sure rain water does not run on it when you open the hood (early corvettes had a shield over the distributor for that purpose).
The shields on the early Corvettes were to help alleviate radio interference
on those cars and not as water shields. Without them there was too much static in the radios on the early Corvettes. The covers were used on up into the 70's with point type ignition.

Other than being clutter on the firewall there is no reason not to put the coil on the firewall. On my T bucket that I built in the 70's I put the coilon the inside of the firewall and ran the wires through a grommet to the distributor. It worked good and kept the clutter down.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
1project2many

I once mounted a divorced style HEI coil on the firewall of a 67 Chevelle and I could hear every single spark as it occurred. No, the coil wasn't bad. It was the CDI type multi spark ignition system driving the coil that caused it. Never did try and put a radio in that car.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
booger1949

u can put a coil anywhere, just make sure u have a real an i mean real good ground, i try an hide all mine that i install just to make people wonder
booger1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
OrrieG

Mr48 thanks for the clarification, learn something everyday here.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
1project2many

Quote:
u can put a coil anywhere, just make sure u have a real an i mean real good ground, i try an hide all mine that i install just to make people wonder
Many people miss that the coil does not "ground" through the connection with the block / body. The primary side of the coil grounds through the points or the electronic ignition module. The secondary side of the coil, the side that makes spark, makes a circuit through the plug wire, plug, block, B-, B+, IGN+, and back to the coil! So the return path for the spark is the IGN+ wire. The ground connection to the coil body is especially important in case there's an open in the secondary side and the spark goes looking for an alternate path to ground. Without a good ground connection the spark may traverse the primary side and cause collateral damage to other circuits. A second function of ground is to reduce radio interference which can get quite high.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote