The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
theastronaut

Let's see your Fog Lights/Driving Lights!

I'm planning on adding driving lights to my '66 for better long distance visibility and was looking for ideas on how/where to mount them. Let's see what you've got!

It's not a truck but I've got a set of narrow beam aircraft landing lights on the front of my VW and love the added light on high beams! I'd like something bigger for the truck but with the same style chrome housing. The yellow tint and vintage rally/road race style "X"s looked cool but blocked alot of light, so they're back clear now.

I also found these T10 bulb holders on Ebay that I'll use to add city/park lights to the driving lights. They go in a 1/2" hole and are rubber so the housing stays sealed. They'll come on with the park lights and low beams, and cut off when the main bulb comes on with the high beams. I'll have Cibie E Code headlights with built in city/park lights so all four lights will match when the park lights are on.

And maybe a set Cibie metal covers to protect them rock chips during the day. I've already busted one of the lenses on my VW.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
1963c-10

Re: Let's see your Fog Lights/Driving Lights!

MarkB had some on his GMC, but I think hes removed them since.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Yes until recently I had fog lamps on my truck since the late 1990’s. Here are a few shots:

These are PIAA 510 Crystal Ion fog lamps that turn fog into clear vision. They are the best lamps I’ve ever seen for driving in actual fog.

I discovered these when my wife was an EMT and they were installed on the ambulance she drove. They work so well I pulled them off my truck and put them on our daily driver Honda instead. From off center they show brilliant blue, but from dead ahead they are flaming yellow. These were mounted directly on top of the back edge of the bumper:

They are illuminated here but don’t show up very well because the camera is up too high:

They were replaced with 1970’s-90’s vintage Unity fog lamps mounted in the same holes on top of the bumper. I used these more for marker lights than fog lights. Since almost all of my driving is on two lane roads I drove with them (and the headlights) on all the time. They are adequate for fog, but nothing like the PIAA lights. And like most non-halogen sealed beams, the bulbs in the Unity lamps last 10 years (or more) in daily use before burning out.

In this shot I have added the vintage topknots on the lamps and moved them forward about 3 inches:

Same lights, same position, but now in front of a Buick grille instead of the GMC letters:

And here everything is lit up, showing what it looks like on the road at night. This configuration wouldn’t be legal in California. A maximum of 4 lamps (not including the parking lights) can be illuminated at one time. To be legal the fog lights would have to switch off when the high beams came on. But since I don’t live in California, I preferred the maximum output arrangement.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
junk4cash

I have these up for auction right now. Very nice condition. Came from a local estate and would look great on a truck. 5 3/4" lenses.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150939868216...84.m1555.l2649
junk4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #5
tincan1966

Not a very good pic, but here's one of the front bumper I made and put 3" driving lights in it on the C-30
Attached Images

tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #6
62 Longbed

Not a very good picture ... But you get the idea ...
Attached Images

62 Longbed is offline   Reply With Quote