The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
68 IRON

3 speed OD governor question.

Just got my OD in the truck and working....very cool system! I have this one set up with a toggle in place of the kickdown switch and it works just fine.

We did have one issue with the governor....so we opened it up. The "T action" (my name for it) was cocked to one side so we filed on the hinge point for this to straighten it out. Its a pretty amazing action with springs and movementk! Well anyway the adjustment we made lowered the shift for the OD from typical 27mph to around 18mph and the subsequent return shift.
I would like to know if anyone has adjusted one of these themselves. I noticed a factory potted plug covering an adjustment screw (what looks like to me). Just thinking if I carefully remove the plug and add a little tension using the adjustment screw I could raise the shift point closer to what it should be....just a little leary to touch this mechanism. Any help or support would be great...just dont want to break what is really not broke!

It is a great addition....I recommend it!
68 IRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
68 IRON

Re: 3 speed OD governor question.

Oh ya, thanks CG.....its workin!
Old 11-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
SS Tim

At one time there were people overhauling the governor and the solenoids. Do a Google search and try to track someone down. There is another post running on an O/D Saginaw '69 installation that I posted some pictures and links. One of which is making a control box to make it a true six speed. But why are you not using the kickdown switch? They are available.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=549797
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
68 IRON

I'll try the search with overhaul in the key words....maybe thats the trick.
Finding any info on the governor is pretty slim. I'm just running the switch for simplicity and to avoid interupting a signal to my "future" tach....just personal preference. The need so far for a kickdown for passing or gearing is just a flip away... same as mashing the throttle but using a finger.

As of today I am having second thoughts about adjusting the gov. My speedo is about 5mph slow at 60mph. This tranny I believe came out of a vehicle with 3.73's and mine has that also. Are 235 75 15's gonna make that big of a difference....and if it does the shift point for this may just fall in where I'd like it (about 5mph higher for up and downshift). Just dont know what these trucks came with and havent searched yet... It is a pretty cool system though this OD!
Old 11-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
faribran

i am running one of those in my 67 c10........ keep us in the loop.... i like mine.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
68 IRON

Wow.....time has flown. I finally got the nerve to try an adjustment. At first look I thought it was a hard plastic plug installed that needed to be removed with a small die, when in fact it was a hard rubber plug. After removing (and carefully placing the plug somewhere safe!) I began at 1/2 turn increments clockwise and driving until I reached my final shift speed. The final shift speed on my tranny now is 28 and down shift is about 16....much nicer! And yes of course I remembered to put the plug back in its place.