The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2012, 12:09 AM   #1
Evil Trailblazer SS
Big Gulps Huh? Whelp...

Theoretical Resale Value Questions

So I am sitting here wondering a few things about our square body trucks and how we go about giving them real world values if and when we decide to part with them...

On my truck in particular, I have three people (on this and other forums) who are offering me in the $25k+ range for my crew cab when it is completed. Knowing what some of the nice squares (and crew cabs and specifically) have sold for in recent years, these offers aren't too crazy, but looking at the numbers (dollars I have put into it) as well as the countless hours of work, I wouldn't feel comfortable selling it for less than $30k. However, this isn't really where my questions come in...

I have a guy interested in purchasing my truck as it sits right now, I don't know if they want it as-is because they just want a cheap truck (not realizing all the money spent and work already done to the interior/audio/system/suspension/etc.) or if this person simply wants to finish the paint and body a different way...how would I go about justifying a dollar amount to sell an incomplete project? I already have a lot of money and a lot of time into this truck, but it's obviously not anything close to a show truck yet, but it's got to be worth more than $4,000...right?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-12-2012, 12:42 AM   #2
86c20

Re: Theoretical Resale Value Questions

good luck man. i have a 67 chevelle ss that i have over 30k into and not close to done but as it sites be lucky to get 10k for it. i bet when the car is all done paint drive train and inside done how i want and not how money says i will have over 70k in a car that will be worth 50k at best. lets face it these trucks are going up but i dont think enough to get back what you have in it. at lest not now
1978 monte carlo 350 350th with 2.73 gears. no rust. sc car
86c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:45 AM   #3
THE "10" SILVERADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86c20 View Post
good luck man. i have a 67 chevelle ss that i have over 30k into and not close to done but as it sites be lucky to get 10k for it. i bet when the car is all done paint drive train and inside done how i want and not how money says i will have over 70k in a car that will be worth 50k at best. lets face it these trucks are going up but i dont think enough to get back what you have in it. at lest not now
Four months ago we sold a 67 Chevelle for 28k that we had about double that in.

While I will agree that the value of our trucks are going up, I think we just have to face the fact that you will probably never get all the money back that you put in. Not sure about your situation but we changed our minds after buying parts or downright bought the wrong parts. Though not bad, they add up over the life of a project.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:03 AM   #4
bk2life
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Trailblazer SS View Post
I have three people who are offering me in the $25k+ I wouldn't feel comfortable selling it for less than $30k.
You have 3 people offering you 25k+ for a square body CC? Then if I were you id contact them ASAP and make that truck go away!! I have bought and sold many vehicles, custom, stock various conditions, and 30k+ is very far and few between.
I took a quick look through your thread and saw your lifted rendering, white paint, if this is the truck you are getting 25k+ for, please send the other 2 guys that want to buy your truck my way as I have several trucks they might be interested for half of what they are offering you.
Lastly don’t take this posting as negative, just being realistic, there are people out there who will pay big dollars for old steel, otherwise Barret Jackson and other such places wouldn’t exist.
bk2life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:25 AM   #5
Evil Trailblazer SS
Big Gulps Huh? Whelp...

Oh trust me, I wouldn't take your posts as offensive or negative guys! The reason I am asking is it really perplexes me sometimes, I know why I am spending the money I am to restore a square cc but the value to buyers is clearly going up but the offers I have on the table are astronomical by most standards...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-12-2012, 04:22 AM   #6
Skunksmash

When all is said and done I'm sure I'll have over 25k in my truck, even though I am going to try hard to keep costs down. Doing most of the work myself and such. I have no intentions of ever selling it. I've been without one for various periods, and I find that I always just end up desiring another one. So I just picked the best one in my opinion, and I'm keeping it. Barring some kind of accident I'll never part with it willingly. I've thought about this before and I have come to this conclusion:

In order for me to sell it, someone would have to offer me so much money that not only would I make a giant profit, I could easily buy, and fix up another one to replace it. So if I had $25k in it when it was finished to my liking, someone would have to offer me about 50k to purchase it from me. That way I wouldn't have to do all the work all over again. I don't mind doing it once, but all the same stuff on the same vehicle, nah. I'll find something new if I want to start from rock bottom again. And since none of that is ever going to happen, its mine for good.
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #7
rotgg

If you have three people offering 25k for your crew please please have them contact me I owned one of the absolute nicest crews out there every piece new all windows seals total complete new interior over 10k in paint and could not get any where close to that my friends still have about 6-8 of them here locally and i am sure they would part with any of them for 25K

69 camaro's with 75k-100k in them are going for around 30k-50k at auction right now
rotgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
SSC's76
No No

wow id take the 25k and run. the truck may be worth it in a way but will never have an actual retail value anywhere close to that.

Posted from 67-72chevytrucks.com App for Android
Gen VI 454, Muncie HD 3 speed With Modified OE Hurst Shifter, 3.73 12 bolt, GMPP HO roller cam, Hooker headers, Performer intake with modified Q-jet, Accel distributor. Best 1/4 12.3 @108. Funnest run 19.84 @88 full 1/4 mile burn out.
1997 K1500 ext cab 5.7 stock except muffler
SSC's76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #9
septantrionalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86c20 View Post
Man, tell me about it. I'm pretty much in the same boat. I bought a true 1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 three years ago and it was in pretty bad shape. I've dumped over $35k into it so far and I'm still not done! Though I've never had the thing appraised, I'd probably be lucky to get $20k. I'm not selling it anytime soon anyway, so it really doesn't matter.

Before:

After:
septantrionalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #10
2badgn

That Camaro is a beauty its a labor of love----The market right now is not good. Restoring these vehicles has sentimental value. U cant just walk into any car dealership and say, I want to buy a 1969....... with this engine, this tranny and this rear end.....

And how good does it feel when someone gawks at your vehicle and gives u a thumbs up.
That doesnt really happen with new cars unless u r driving some exotic super car.

If u do it for the $ today, u r in the wrong business.
Hopefully, in the future, the market will go back up and people can appreciate how much time, patience, money, research, planning, work and effort it takes to recreate a classic vehicle.
2badgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #11
88Jimmy4x4

This seller has sold some really clean CC's, maybe see what this one sells for as an example, its very clean

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-...item1e745dd670
88Jimmy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote