The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
Mister-B
Account Suspended

"U.9,000" on my doors. Is this really the capacity?

My '69 Custom 20 LWB 3/4 ton has these stickers on each door. They look like they are probably as old as the truck. I'm assuming this is the weight the truck was rated to carry, but on the metal door plate, it says 7,500. So, which is it? Did the truck get some sort of extra add on to allow it to carry more weight, or is this sticker the 1960's equivalent of someone buying emblems from a higher end Mercedes off eBay, to put on a lower end Mercedes to make the neighbors think they've got something they don't?

Maybe I'm missing how the weight is calculated, so please let me know. Thanks

Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:08 PM   #2
truckster

Re: "U.9,000" on my doors. Is this really the capacity?

Utah's registration laws that were in effect when your truck was registered required all 1/2 tons to post U6000 and 3/4 tons to post U9000 somewhere on the sides. It didn't actually reflect the manufacturer's gross weight rating. The requirement is long gone and you can get rid of it. It looks like maybe they're vinyl letters you could remove with a heat gun.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
Utah's registration laws that were in effect when your truck was registered required all 1/2 tons to post U6000 and 3/4 tons to post U9000 somewhere on the sides. It didn't actually reflect the manufacturer's gross weight rating. The requirement is long gone and you can get rid of it. It looks like maybe they're vinyl letters you could remove with a heat gun.
Thanks man. Part of me just wants to keep them for the nostalgia. I kinda like it. In fact, if I ever repaint it factor blue and white, I'll probably have it painted back on somewhere on the side
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
SS Tim

We kind of touched on this before when you first got the truck. The max. capacity of your truck is 7500 lbs as are all C/20s IF PROPERLY EQUIPPED! The number on your fender is simply stating that your truck has a gross weight under 9000lbs for licensing purposes. Some regions had this requirement and it was often a decal or painted by a sign painter.

The earlier trucks had the one rating on the plate. Later trucks had gross, front and rear capacities for "as built" and maximum capacity. Again IF PROPERLY EQUIPPED. The Owners Handbook in all cases will show the capacity requirements. These are broken down into the spring and tire options required to meet the various capacities. Some of these old tires are very hard to find in the heavier capacities. If you have changed to tire sizes and wheels that are not listed you need to make sure they are up to the task.
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
We kind of touched on this before when you first got the truck. The max. capacity of your truck is 7500 lbs as are all C/20s IF PROPERLY EQUIPPED! The number on your fender is simply stating that your truck has a gross weight under 9000lbs for licensing purposes. Some regions had this requirement and it was often a decal or painted by a sign painter.

The earlier trucks had the one rating on the plate. Later trucks had gross, front and rear capacities for "as built" and maximum capacity. Again IF PROPERLY EQUIPPED. The Owners Handbook in all cases will show the capacity requirements. These are broken down into the spring and tire options required to meet the various capacities. Some of these old tires are very hard to find in the heavier capacities. If you have changed to tire sizes and wheels that are not listed you need to make sure they are up to the task.
Ah. Makes perfect sense. So, the U likely stood for "under", which meant it was under a certain weight, and therefore didn't require a special license to operate, etc.

Tim to the rescue. Thanks again
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post

Oh, and lol at that pic you posted. Looks like they used mailbox letters from the hardware store
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #7
SS Tim

Here is a chart from a '71 handbook.
If you do repaint the numbers, I have always liked them either below the front fender series emblem or on the front lowermost bedside.
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2012, 11:13 PM   #8
pritch

It used to be that they sold some nice decals that were in kind of a script. Seems like every little store had them. The 'U' stickers went away around the same time when we no longer had inspection stickers on the lower left corner of our windshields. I'd say off hand sometime in the mid to late '80's. I used to have a '88 Ford pick-up that had always been in Utah and it never did have the 'U' sticker, but now that I'm thinking of it, my kid had a '86 and I'm pretty sure it had them.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:53 AM   #9
SS Tim

Finally found a picture I've been looking for.
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #10
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

If memory serves me right... Some states even let you register the vehicle for farm work and you then letterd the words "FARM USE" or "FARM TRUCK" on a rig, and then it was excempt from licensing laws. Didn't even need a license plate. Could only be used on the farm or for short trips "in to town" for supplies.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote