The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
Sixteen Tons

Monojet thoughts

Started rebuilding the stock Monojet on my 69 C10 (I6-250) last night, with a great kit from Mike's Carburetor Parts, so far so good, it was filthy inside and out so it's getting a good long soak. Anyway, as I was preparing to do all this, I did a bit of research and while over at the Stovebolt site I read that in their opinion a two carb progressive system is really optimal for the I6 engines. My understanding is that it compensates for some of the limitations of the original single barrel carbs shortcomings at low speeds. At this point I'm going to finish my rebuild and reinstall what I have, but what are everyones thought on a future upgrade to run a two carb progressive set up or even a two barrel carb, which I'm guessing falls somewhere between option 1 & option 2? I'm looking for a solid daily driver that runs well and as efficent as possible, not a 1/4 mile beast. Thanks and I look forward to the insights.
Sixteen Tons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
martindc1

Re: Monojet thoughts

I think the monojet is just fine for a mostly stock daily driver. Just keep an extra fuel filter in the glove box. If it were me I'd save my time and money for something else. I always thought my K20 was pretty good on gas for what it was. I hauled firewood, dirt, gravel, mulch and pulled trailers and I thought it had enough power. The 67 was heavier and had 4.57 gears and it did better on gas than my 72 C10 which had a 350 and 3.73s.

67 K20, 87 K10 aka V10 & 72 C10
martindc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Monojet thoughts

It all depends on what you want out of your truck. If you're looking for better mpg the extra carburetion probably won't do it but you will get slightly better performance. My 68 GMC has plenty of zip with the mono for highway driving and the little hauling I do.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote